is a portable amp necessary?
Jul 7, 2009 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

big_sound

100+ Head-Fier
I'm kind of new to audio so help me out. I recently bought a great pair of IEM's the shure se530's. These sound great, but should I shell out another $200 just for a portable amplifier for my ipod 6g? Will it make a huge difference? I think they sound fine, and most of my audio files are near CD quality. Any suggestions?
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 32
You don't need a portable amp with in-ear monitors. The impedence on these is relatively low. Even with my easy-to-drive Grados, the difference in power requirements is substantial. With my Grados, I typically ran them at half to three-quarter power. With most IEMs, you can comfortably rock out on a third to half power.

Now, that's if we're talking about volume. If you're talking about maximizing your bass output, it depends on the quality of the amp. The little amps will give you volume but not really much difference in bass. An amp with greater power can take an anemic earphone and turn it into a rocking machine. With my portables, I didn't see much difference. With my M^3, even my bass-shy etymotics were monsters.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 32
After trying out all kidns of different portable rigs (iriver120+d10, diymod+various amps) I say no.

I just go with zune / Cowon => headphone these days.

But yeah try going to a store and listening to them. You should also try listening to the 530s straight out of different players.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of new to audio so help me out. I recently bought a great pair of IEM's the shure se530's. These sound great, but should I shell out another $200 just for a portable amplifier for my ipod 6g? Will it make a huge difference? I think they sound fine, and most of my audio files are near CD quality. Any suggestions?
confused_face_2.gif

No you shouldn't, and no it won't.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 32
using an LOD and amp makes a huge difference in my IEMs

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 32
'Some say yes....Some say no....some say I don't know.
You say goodbye...I say hello'

Hello hello....

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 32
I have owned a few portable amps, and enjoy messing around with them. With some iems, you can notice small improvements in sq, but in environments where I choose to use iems (walking around, gym, airplanes, waiting rooms, etc) rather than fullsize headphones, there's significant background noise, I'm usually engaged in another activity other than just listening, etc., and it's not worth it to me to carry around an amp for that little bit of extra sq I won't even be noticing. I sold all my portable amps, but do keep a pico amp/dac, that I use with my laptop and ipod, but mostly for the dac, and with my Grados, not my iems. I am interested in the Pico Slim, after trying it out at CanJam with my UE11s, but I know that I'm just wanting it, not needing it at all.

If you're planning on using your 530s with a portable device, based on my experience, I'd recommend spending your money on getting a portable player with as much storage as possible so you can have a full selection of lossless music. That's where you'll pick up the improvements. If you plan on using your 530s as a primary headphone, as some people do, you might want to invest in an amp, but I still think that should be secondary.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 32
I have 530s and an iBasso amp-- I never bother to connect the two, because for me the difference is nearly nonexistent. Depends on the phone, I'd say-- and the 530s don't really benefit from an amp imho.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 32
double post

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 32
hmmm takes all types; I do notice a difference with my amps and SE530. better bass control and stronger highs. not just any amp mind you and it depends on the player you are using. loud yes; quality.... not necessarily. some portable DAPs have a reasonable output, but many hiss with IEMs as sensitive as SE530. SE530 do sound pretty darn good out of my iphone 3G, but it is still bested by any of my amps. at the same time; i'm in a little different situation to many, not only do I have all the amps I could ever need, but I also have 3 x top-shelf portable sources that NEED and amp to shine. 2 x DIYMOD (no advantage to the mod without an amp) and iriver H132CF which needs a dac via optical.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would NuForce Icon Mobile match up?

I'm using an Icon Mobile with Klipsch X10's. (Listening to them right now.) IMO the Icon Mobile is very clean, has good frequency balance, and improves the soundstage and micro-dynamics compared to the HP out of the Creative Zen 16GB that I'm using.

The Mobile Icon isn't as good as a desktop amp (and probably many portable amps), but IMO it's a significant improvement over nothing. I also have a Samson Q5 studio amp, and the Samson has a way bigger sound (bigger soundstage, bigger dynamics, etc.). The studio amp also has too much gain for IEM's though, which can cause the treble to get hyped. It is more suited for full size headphones.

If you don't mind the extra ounce of weight and won't fret over the $100, I'd say the Icon Mobile is worth having. As mentioned above however, it depends on your listening environment. I use it at a desk at work. If you are active while using it, it's probably less noticeable as well as less convenient.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using an Icon Mobile with Klipsch X10's. (Listening to them right now.) IMO the Icon Mobile is very clean, has good frequency balance, and improves the soundstage and micro-dynamics compared to the HP out of the Creative Zen 16GB that I'm using.

The Mobile Icon isn't as good as a desktop amp (and probably many portable amps), but IMO it's a significant improvement over nothing. I also have a Samson Q5 studio amp, and the Samson has a way bigger sound (bigger soundstage, bigger dynamics, etc.). The studio amp also has too much gain for IEM's though, which can cause the treble to get hyped. It is more suited for full size headphones.

If you don't mind the extra ounce of weight and won't fret over the $100, I'd say the Icon Mobile is worth having. As mentioned above however, it depends on your listening environment. I use it at a desk at work. If you are active while using it, it's probably less noticeable as well as less convenient.

Actually wondering how it would pair with SE530 (then again, do I even need one with the Shures?)...mainly walking around in the mall, volunteering at the local nature conservatory, listening casually, etc.
I thought it had a smaller footprint, (fits under an iPod touch?), or else, I'd consider an iBasso or something..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back