is a portable amp necessary?
Jul 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually wondering how it would pair with SE530 (then again, do I even need one with the Shures?)...mainly walking around in the mall, volunteering at the local nature conservatory, listening casually, etc.
I thought it had a smaller footprint, (fits under an iPod touch?), or else, I'd consider an iBasso or something..

The Icon Mobile does have a small footprint. It's smaller than an iPod touch, and will easily fit on the back of it. It weighs about an ounce, which shouldn't be very noticeable.

(Haven't tried the SE530's.)

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 32
The D2 Boa sounds very good, but then again I have been mostly listening to my ESW9's as my TF10's have been sent for custom molds. I can tell you that the bigger difference with the D2 though is through the usb DAC+AMP.

D2 USB AMP>D2 AMP+Zune
D2 AMP+Zune> Zune
Zune> Laptop

I just sold off my D2 Boa a few days ago, and really am pissed that i have to go back to no dac or amp. The sound is huge. So I gave in and ordered a Pico DAC+AMP. There are huge improvements imo, even with the TF10's on the D2 AMP+Zune. Then again, I think the improvements are mostly getting a bigger sound, and I am all about treble and sound stage. If you like the SE530's, you may not be into the same sound as I am.

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #20 of 32
^ have you received the pico already? i'd be interested in how it compares to the d2 boa.. always thought about upgrading to the pico but wasn't sure if it's worth the money because i love my d2 boa

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ have you received the pico already? i'd be interested in how it compares to the d2 boa.. always thought about upgrading to the pico but wasn't sure if it's worth the money because i love my d2 boa

No, I ordered it yesterday, but I should get it pretty soon since it is in stock. I am really hoping it is a big improvement, otherwise I will sell it and get a D10. I think A lot of people have trouble between the mid end and the high end DAC/Amps, so I think that might be my first review or w/e. Then again there are many threads on the matter.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 32
Here's a few thoughts for everyone. I currently pair my Cowon S9 with an iBasso D10 and listen with Klipsch Custom 3 IEMs.

I started off with a Fiio E5 amp which set me back 30.00 CAN including shipping. I immediately was addicted to the bass boost and richer tones. A true winner to my ears and wallet.

A few weeks later after doing some research I decided to get the iBasso D10. After dropping over $300.00 CAN my first impressions were less than pleasing. As time goes on I am beginning to come around.

Reasons:
My IEMs don't require a lot of power
No Bass Boost
Also...
I find when listening to one setup it takes conditioning time for your ears to adjust to a new setup. Like when you are in the dark for a period of time and the lights are turned on. Maybe others could back me up on this one? This may even be misunderstood as "Burn In" at times?

iBasso D10 Review in comparison to the Fiio E5 for IEM listeners.

Design: Sleek, polished and a work of art.

Bass: Extended accurate lower response that fills out nicely but still weak compared to the E5.

Mids:
Sound about the same maybe a bit more full since the bass is not crossing over into them.

Treble: Crisp clean and a tad harsh to my ears so far as I'm still burinng in the unit and used to muddy bass bashing my eardrums.

Sound Stage: Wider "live" presence.

Shipping:
Shipped DHL which do not publish their phone number for tracking so use online. Fast delivery. Also received my unit box in total shreds. US/Canada customs inspected it and massacred it. Luckily all the components are in immaculate shape.

Quality: Top notch, leather case looks a tad cheap and the USB plug charger is unnaturally light but works great.

Price: Expensive if your an IEM user, but if you want top notch looks and sound you pay for it. I'm sure power hungry full headphone users would hear a huge difference over my experience.

Final Thought: If your a noob, like me, you will appreciate to know that unless you have a heavy wallet, a pair of full headphones, and or are seeking true H-Fi rig you are better off buying the E5 for the price difference.

Note: Tests done with Line in Jack, and Headphone out. I did not test out the DAC, Coax or Optical. Maybe some day in the future but as for now I'm quite happy with my PC Sound Balster X-Fi Fatality Card.

Hope this helps. I really appreciate any feedback. Maybe someone can make a suggestion for rolling my op amps to achieve the darker sounds of the E5 back?

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 32
Here's a few thoughts for everyone. I currently pair my Cowon S9 with an iBasso D10 and listen with Klipsch Custom 3 IEMs.

I started off with a Fiio E5 amp which set me back 30.00 CAN including shipping. I immediately was addicted to the bass boost and richer tones. A true

winner to my ears and wallet.

A few weeks later after doing some research I decided to get the iBasso D10. After dropping over $300.00 CAN my first impressions were less than

pleasing. As time goes on I am beginning to come around.

Reasons:
My IEMs don't require a lot of power
No Bass Boost
Also...
I find when listening to one setup it takes conditioning time for your ears to adjust to a new setup. Like when you are in the dark for a period of

time and the lights are turned on. Maybe others could back me up on this one? This may even be misunderstood as "Burn In" at times?

iBasso D10 Review in comparison to the Fiio E5 for IEM listeners.

Design: Sleek, polished and a work of art.

Bass: Extended accurate lower response that fills out nicely but still weak compared to the E5.

Mids:
Sound about the same maybe a bit more full since the bass is not crossing over into them.

Treble: Crisp clean and a tad harsh to my ears so far as I'm still burinng in the unit and used to muddy bass bashing my eardrums.

Sound Stage: Wider "live" presence.

Shipping:
Shipped DHL which do not publish their phone number for tracking so use online. Fast delivery. Also received my unit box in total

shreds. US/Canada customs inspected it and massacred it. Luckily all the components are in immaculate shape.

Line Noise:
None

Quality: Top notch, leather case looks a tad cheap and the USB plug charger is unnaturally light but works great.

Price: Expensive if your an IEM user, but if you want top notch looks and sound you pay for it. I'm sure power hungry full headphone users

would hear a huge difference over my experience.

Final Thought: If your a noob, like me, you will appreciate to know that unless you have a heavy wallet, a pair of full headphones, and or are
seeking true H-Fi rig you are better off buying the E5 for the price difference. I can't stress this enough. More money does not mean better for every setup.

Note: Tests done with Line in Jack, and Headphone out. I did not test out the DAC, Coax or Optical. Maybe some day in the future but as for now

I'm quite happy with my PC Sound Balster X-Fi Fatality Card.

Hope this helps. I really appreciate any feedback. Maybe someone can make a suggestion for rolling my op amps to achieve the darker sounds of the E5?

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #25 of 32
with custom/generic iem's with very low resistance (ohm) and a good/high quality dap (iriver/cowon) I'd say: no
with high resistance headphones an/or crap dap's i'd say: yes

amps can make a lot of difference; most notable when your dap is distoring at normal listening lvl's

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do it anyways, then sell the D2 to me. >.>

The great thing about the iBasso DAC/amps are that, well, they're DAC/amps. I'll be grabbing one (eventually...), and I can use it as a DAC/amp on either my computer or netbook, or as an amp for my Clip. That, and the D2's a hell of a lot cheaper than the D10/Pico. But better looking than the Hammond-box-like HotAudio DACs.

However, I didn't think my E5 was a night/day difference compared to stock. The key feature, I find, was the bass boost. That rounded out the sound on my SF3s much more to my liking.

They're not really necessary though. Not unless you find something you need to drive.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #27 of 32
I'll sell my D10, mint condition. Im sticking with my E5 for IEMs. Ill Put the money into some UE4s or higher. I cant justify the price for a bit wider sound stage deeper bass without the impact and i won't benefit from the DAC.

Cheers

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed a lot of you recommended using a LOD.
What exactly is the advantage in doing this? Also, would you recommend buying one, or is making one just as good?

By-passes the amplifier in the iPod/Phone. As I understand it, it's basically using the iPod (or any other media player) as a DAC, and passing it out to an amp.

I'd pay for one, only to save me the hassle of building it. Even then, I wouldn't pay more than $10.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #30 of 32
If you're using something with a great headphone out like a Cowon, a Zune (I must admit this reluctantly though I'm an Apple geek in every other way), an iRiver or maybe the iPhone 3G, you don't really need an amp. But if the headphone out sounds bad then an amp would benefit you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back