Is a DAC1 still good?
Jul 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly because it's a source question, ergo, the source forum is where it nominally belongs. Secondly, because the DAC1 does not belong in the "high end forum" in the opinions of many.

can someone recommend me a source (or multiple sources) that would be considered 'hi end' then?
I am looking for vinyl and cd...

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 35
MrOutside,

You perplex me. In the headphone forum you've provided a list of your headphones (L3000 and DT880 and HD600), which would lead one to believe you have a bit more than general knowledge of headphones and headphone gear. You list the SPL Phonitor as your amp, which to me means you've either professional studio knowledge or been keeping up to date on headphone amps, or both, since this one has really only been talked about within the last year, and few people have heard it. Most folks with your level of experience and up-to-date knowledge, along with your professed unlimited budget (in the headphone forum) would know more about the DAC1 than you seem to, and would also seem to have resources and knowledge of the excellent choices that exist. I dunno. It's just very strange to me.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 35
I have a Benchmark DAC1 and a much higher-end DAC, a Wadia built in to the Wadia 781i SACD player.

Listening to SACDs on the Wadia, through the built-in Wadia DAC, and then taking the balanced analog output into a KGSS and listening thru STAX 007a MkII (Spritzer mod), and comparing that to taking the S/PDIF output from the Wadia and running it thru the DAC1 (using a high-end digital coax cable), and then taking the balanced analog ouput of the DAC1 in to the KGSS (same cables as the first time), well, I hear a diference in favor of the Wadia DAC. Greater extent to the freq response curve, and smoother. Transients and detail about the same, but the sense of "music" is greater with the Wadia DAC, no question.

Could be the placebo effect. I want the Wadia to sound bettter. Maybe in a blind test I could not tell the difference. Who knows? Doesn't matter to me -- I just retired the DAC1 and use the Wadia.

There is an easy solution to all questions of this type: audition gear before you buy or upgrade. That is what meets are all about.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Could be the placebo effect. I want the Wadia to sound bettter. Maybe in a blind test I could not tell the difference. Who knows? Doesn't matter to me -- I just retired the DAC1 and use the Wadia.

That's totally cool if you have the bucks, or it's how you enjoy your hobby. Me, I gotta be able to justify more than a few bucks difference.
For me I can say that if there were a small difference, maybe even a hundred or two hundred bucks, between DAC A and DAC B, but DAC B was known by many to sound better, I'd definitely buy DAC B, even if I couldn't hear a difference. The placebo in my mind will definitely make it sound better whether it really does or not...

The problem is that the new Little Dot DAC-1, with the Wolfsen converter I'm watching is $300, vs. a grand or more for a DAC1, and even more for 'better'. Even if many swear they can hear a difference, if it isn't enough for the average listener to get it right every time in a double blind test, it isn't enough for me to warrant the $700 or more (at least to me) of difference.

I don't want to buy a $300 or $500 DAC, for my high end amp purchare (Zana or something...) and then realize I shoulda saved up another $800 first.

Conversely, I don't want to waste money on differences that are subjective at best.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #21 of 35
Mr Outside, there is another way to go: mod your DAC1. You do not need to do, or order someone to do, much: just changing the internal coupling caps for something nicer (Auricap) puts the Benchmark in another level. And anybody can hear the difference
wink.gif

Anyway, 1+ (boomana)

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #23 of 35
I believe there was a post in a certain forum starting with s regarding the questionable merits of super high end DACs. A number of people were asked to listen to headphones through either some cheapo Behringer DAC or a DAC1 and there was no statistical correlation regarding which was better. I don't have a link right now. While that's an extreme example and this isn't that section of the forums, you should always listen to both before you buy to see if you can discern a difference. Blindly buying a super high end dac like a berkeley alpha or an emm labs won't necessarily sound better if your DAC1 is already overkill.

Also I'm not trying to sidetrack this thread so please don't respond with "ABX IS EVIL" etc. I'm just trying to illustrate that an upgrade would likely not make sense, not start a debate that has been had far too many times already.

edit: I believe the test was by matrix hi-fi, can't find a link right now

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #24 of 35
The dac1 is probably close enough to other more expensive dacs that the money might be better placed on the zd that your thinking of. The only thing you may want to look into as far as new dacs is maybe a dac with a different flavor like a nos dac or any other uniqe quality that differentiate from the standard upsampling dac.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MrOutside,

You perplex me. In the headphone forum you've provided a list of your headphones (L3000 and DT880 and HD600), which would lead one to believe you have a bit more than general knowledge of headphones and headphone gear. You list the SPL Phonitor as your amp, which to me means you've either professional studio knowledge or been keeping up to date on headphone amps, or both, since this one has really only been talked about within the last year, and few people have heard it. Most folks with your level of experience and up-to-date knowledge, along with your professed unlimited budget (in the headphone forum) would know more about the DAC1 than you seem to, and would also seem to have resources and knowledge of the excellent choices that exist. I dunno. It's just very strange to me.

huh am i the only one that listens to equipment based on how it sounds? you dont need to know much about headphones to enjoy their sound. i have chosen these based on their sound. the spl phonitor was a purchase after a local guy said it was very good and i agree with him.

i have not had the chance to try many dacs so i am asking..

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #27 of 35
I don't know if this is a common view but I find it easier to evaluate sources through speakers than headphones; I suppose it might shift your definition of high-end vs insanely diminishing returns. Maybe cause my gear isn't high-res enough.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by hh83917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to suggest a Weiss DAC2 or even the Weiss MINERVA if price is no issue.

AFAIK both (DAC2 and Minerva) are exactly the same unit, save for the front panel. Oh, and the price
devil_face.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if this is a common view but I find it easier to evaluate sources through speakers than headphones;

+1. The spatial 'cues' for example are (to me) much easier to distinguish in my speaker setup.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's totally cool if you have the bucks ... I don't want to waste money on differences that are subjective at best.

Well first of all, buy everything used (or demo, or B stock), that's a must. Retail prices are indeed insane.

But the only real answer is, as I said in my post, and AtomikPi said too, is to listen. Audition, long and relaxed. If it sounds better in the audition, it will most likely sound better over the long run in your home.

You'll never know if the other unit would have sounded as good, since you won't have both units, but you are simply trying to spend money wisely and make quality-price trade-offs. Reading specs, test bench measurements, reviews, forums, and finally doing auditions is -- as we all know -- the tried and true approach, as long as you have your defenses up and are on the lookout for snake oil.

If you can't tell them apart in an A/B/X, that might or might not give you pause, since opinions are divided as to whether or not such a result is an accurate predictor of additional (or not) enjoyment at home, since both the placebo effect and the "short term listening" effect of tests are hard to control for. But if you like it better at home over the long run, that is all that matters. And the badge and price do influence your enjoyment at home, even if we pretend they do not, so test open, not blind ... e.g., audition.

I know the Wadia guys are brilliant engineers, formerly with the digital audio division of HP, working in good old Saline, Michigan (where I used to live, what a coincidence!), and they understand digital-to-analog conversion with the best of them. I know that whatever bitstream some whacky mastering engineer might throw at their firmware they have already catered for in the lab and in their simultations. This gives me confidence ... "I've got it covered" I think when I pop a new CD in. A/B/X testing and even reality plays no role in this.

If you set a budget and proceed this way -- research, audition, buy used or at discount -- you will love the results and be way of ahead of a slave to A/B/X, regardless of how right their tests are. Yes. you may have been influenced by branding and ads, and you might have been able to achieve the same SQ for a bit less, but you set your budget and stayed within it, and it is very unlikely that you could have gotten better SQ for the same money (since this you would have uncovered in your research and auditioning).

See the point? You live your life listening to your gear, not doing A/B/X, so do your auditions the way you live. "Best sound at a given budget" makes sense ... the fact that you might have been able to spend less is not necessarily important. Maybe you were fooled by the badge in an audition, and an A/B/X would have let you buy the cheaper gear and save some bucks. So what? 'Cause maybe not! Maybe over the long run the expensive unit would have satisfied more, either because the A/B/X test was not a good predictor of long-term listening quality, or because non-SQ factors come in to play (like me and Wadia). It just doesn't matter if you set a budget and carefully audition. This is life, not an academic paper.

Don't get me wrong -- I love statistical sensory testing and am deeply involved in test protocols (I happen to think A/B/X is deeply flawed, but that's another matter). I am seeking to uncover some truth, at least in regards to my own ears. But I don't buy my personal gear this way ... although at some point I might take any findings I uncover into account, but by no means will these be the only consideration.

MrOutside said he can't find a way to audition the DACs -- I say: seek out meets! All the DACs he needed were at Can Jam '09 ... Benchmark was there, as were many others.

Sorry for the long post -- I think this is #900 and I wanted to make it meaningful. But who's counting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back