Is a DAC1 still good?
Jul 3, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #31 of 35
I've never listened to the DAC1 extensively so I can't comment on it but I would like to weigh in on sources. In my system, the source mattered just as much as the amplifier and headphone. I think there are very real differences between DACs and disc players and I'd advise the thread creator to put as much thought into this as you would any other component.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #32 of 35
WavoMan -

I'm TOTALLY with you on A/B/X, I'm not a big fan... So yeah, I guess I do need to have a listen or several over time - and be patient. We have a meet out here next weekend, where I should get a good few hours in of listening.

Looking at the spec's though, I still may wait until I can hear the LD unit. I'm a big fan of simple designs with high quality components over needless complexity. Especially when they beat out higher priced gear.

And you're right as well about used gear, Let me know if you see any Wadia's!

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 35
If price is no object then get an Weiss Minerva or a Berkley Alpha Dac
In my opinion, this two are the best production dacs (non esoteric) currently available, they are simply amazing!

However the dac1 still holds the value crown imho

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're right as well about used gear, Let me know if you see any Wadia's!

You know, when you're on the hunt, you gotta keep all the forums and eBay up on your screen and Google constantly, etc. The alerts don't cut it -- you have to be ready to pounce.

So at the office we have this big deal audiophile who put a room on his house, has cables the size of baby's arms ($1K/meter), concrete slab for his TT, speakers the size of Frankenstein's coffin, the works. I'd say he's spent $500,000 easy, not counting the construction. In the men's room a while back he says "Well I just added a Meridian 861 Surround Sound Processor, list is about 16 grand but I got a deal from [our local high end shop] and only paid 12. Ah, in trifield mode the sound is fantastic"

Now I barely listen to speakers, and my center channel speaker wasn't even connected, but I had to do something. So the hunt started ... all the forums, etc. Took weeks, but I finally scored a used Meridian 561 off eBay for $599. And even though it was past it's 10-year life support, Meridian gave me new software, basically making it a baby 861 (like baby Orpheus is to Orpheus). But $600!

"It's stolen! It's broken! It's unsupported!" ... those were his anguished cries when I told him of my $600 purchase. But none of those are true ... works great. Got a tube mono pre-amp from a DIY'er (lets me get double duty from my 12AU7 collection!), a nice inexpensive monoblock (just one - digital Class D ICE), hooked up the center speaker ... trifield happens! (Probably didn't need the pre-amp, but just looking at the Meridian you can tell it needs some tube love, and I wanted a real volume pot for the center channel, not some menu).

I never actually use the 561 in daily life, but it was worth every penny. $12000 vs $600.

Jul 4, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #35 of 35
nice work wavoman

nonetheless... the minute i win the lottery i'm gettin that Berkley Dac for sure
wink.gif
anyday now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back