Is a DAC Require with a 5k iMac as Source?
Sep 18, 2019 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MonkeyDance

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide if I would benefit from investing in a decent DAC.

I have a 5K iMac as a source. I recently purchased HD650s and a Rupert Neve RNHP amplifier. I also have an old Audio Quest Dragon Fly Red that I was using with a different computer with Audience speakers.

I am having trouble noticing any difference with the Dragon Fly. That said it is annoying to try and test apples to apples so I have been using the 3.5mm source on the amp with the headphone jack on the computer and the RCA source on the amp with an Audioquest cable.

The RCA source is noticeably quieter than the 3.5mm. I think this is an intentional design by Rupert Neve.

Should I try investing in a better or different DAC? My budget is up to $500 but it would need to make a pretty significant difference for me to spend that much.

The other option of course is to just buy better headphones like Sennheiser HD800s. I have free returns on the RNHP and HD650s.

Also, the HD650s sounded pretty good just powered by the Dragon Fly on it's own.

What would you guys recommend?

Sep 18, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Can't find much on it but it appears it's the same one they've used since 2010 at least. With your set up I'd say definitely look into one. It'll be quieter/less noisy at worst. Go over to the source forum and look into the latest budget DACs.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Honestly, I’d always suggest upgrading the component closest to your ear (i.e. headphones/IEMs) first.

That said, it also isn’t too expensive to get a nice standalone dac. Something like the SDAC perhaps.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 6
What would you recommend getting as an upgrade to the HD650?

I do own the Audio Quest Firefly Red. Is that a good enough DAC/AMP? I don't really hear any noise from the iMac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back