Irvine/Orange County Meet Impressions
Oct 26, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #61 of 133
I feel like I want a modded pair of HD800's that have a nice bass slam!  
L3000.gif
  Quite impressionable! 

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #62 of 133

Quote:
In the caption accompanying the picture of the DNA 2A3 amp in Post #6 there was mention of a modded Senn 580 (foam removed and recabled), so this is directed at the owner of those cans.  What is the improvement from the foam removal?  I have a Senn 650 that is not seeing much use - can the foam removal mod be performed on the 650 and if so, what are the steps?  Thanks.

Those were my can's. I did the foamectomy on these a few years ago. I had the phones since around 2000 and were in need of some TLC. i replaced the headband, earpads, added hd600 metal grills and since the inner pad (between the driver and your ear) was full of holes already I just removed it. now they are completely open in the center where the clear driver is. My thought is if you remove your ear pads that you will see that the foam pad is just sitting in there, maybe without any glue. 

I can't say how it effected the sound because it sort of happened over time and eventually I just go rid of it all.  My feeling is that your 650 will sound brighter, which may or may not be a good thing for you. 

My phones also have some custom cables which I made from 24awg copper wire off ebay. 4 wires double twisted with cardas jacks, neutrix plug. 

I am used to these since they are one of my only phones and I was very surprised to hear the sound difference when I tried the stock hd600 hooked up to the bottlehead amp. I can only attribute it to the foam, cable or both together. I did like mine better, but again my brain is broken in to them.  can't really remember details though as the blur of amps/phones is swirling in my head. stax 009 from a blue hawaii can have a serious effect on your ability to remember anything else...

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #63 of 133

Quote:

I'm sure it's just the Apuresound mod.

http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

That's it exactly. I should read ahead before responding. :)  I also did remove the foam from the outer driver center. That write-up reminded me, I totally forgot but I think this also had a positive effect. YMMV. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #64 of 133
Purrin and all participants, 

Thank you all for a very enjoyable sunday listening to music, amps, dacs, and sooooo many headphones. I was definitely a  kid in a candy store all day. At first I was hesitant to give everything a go as some of these systems were worth more than my car but everyone was very gracious and truly excited to share. Definitely a great group of people assembled with some amazing gear. I felt a bit bad only bringing my lowly M^3 sigma 11 which will never get mentioned in the context of a writeup but I did enjoy listening to my "reference" against the best out there. MrSpeakers was kind enough to let it camp out with his source and loop it thru the Burson HA-160D dac and I could compare them side by side. To my surprise they were voiced very similarly but the burson was definitely better. no more opamps for me...

The Blue Hawaii with Stax 009 was hands down the most precise, articulate, detailed presentation of music I have ever heard thru headphones. The eddie current BA thru the LCD-3 was also very compelling in its own way. Luckily none of these combos would be in my price range any time soon. The amp I found myself gravitating toward was the DNA 2a3... Thanks Donald for the chance to hog it for so long. Yes it did sound good with my senn's but I was impressed about how well it made all the different phones sound which I tried it with, It really seemed to get the best character out of all the headphones. Not by making them sound all alike, but truely making them the best version of what that headphones personality could be.

Going to need to get a demo of the Sonett with a nice quiet room, a glass of wine and some good jazz... 

I never knew about the fostex modding until a few days before the event and hadn't realized that I would have the chance to listen to some of the latest and greatest designs on the forum. Reading thru the posts now I wish I had spent more time listening to the different designs. Mr speakers were great though.. my fostex are on backorder now... :) where do I find these infamous 02 pads? do I need a secret handshake or password?

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome and sharing your equipment.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #66 of 133
I'll have all three Eddie Current amps (the BA, 2A3, and Super7) at my place until November 7. I know there's been some interest in the Super 7 because it's the entry level product. Don't quote me, but I believe it's going to be priced around $1300-$1400 at least initially for a limited time. Anyone who is serious about getting one of these amps is welcome to make arrangements to drop by for a listen.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #67 of 133
I think the official price was quoted to be $1500.

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #68 of 133
Thanks for your reply.  I looked at the apuresound mod instructions and I think even someone with my limited mechanical skills can handle the task.  Now I have to decide whether I want to sell the 650s or do the mod and keep them.  I'm not listening to them in their stock form.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #69 of 133
Only had an hour and a half to play with at the meet, wish could have spent all day. next time...

Never even had a chance to get on the LCD3s or the 009s, or meet everyone for that matter.  But my favorite part I'd say were the various t50rp's, definitely a highlight for me.  Still can't get over how great these cans sound for $75 and some tinkering.

Thanks again to purrin and audeze for making the meet possible.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #70 of 133
Thank you very much!  I am trying to make my way down there for the afternoon of Saturday, November 6th.  Will keep in touch!

Quote:
I'll have all three Eddie Current amps (the BA, 2A3, and Super7) at my place until November 7. I know there's been some interest in the Super 7 because it's the entry level product. Don't quote me, but I believe it's going to be priced around $1300-$1400 at least initially for a limited time. Anyone who is serious about getting one of these amps is welcome to make arrangements to drop by for a listen.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #71 of 133
I've got everything set up side-by-side with a few tube selections. Anax currently has the Super7. The amps seem priced appropriately with the Super 7 being the best value. I've been listening to the 2A3 and BA back and forth the last few days. I suspect it's going to be tough to decide.

Call up Craig to to clarify pricing on the Super7. Last week I spoke with him, the low introductory price was only for a limited time (like end of this month!)

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #72 of 133
I received an email from Craig that they are accepting Super 7 pre-orders now and I think it is $1300 without tubes and $1450 with Tung Sol tubes only until the end of the month but I do not have the email with me...can verify tonight if no one else does.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #74 of 133
Those prices are correct.  I have now ordered one, and so I want all impressions reported to be extremely favorable. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #75 of 133
I wouldn't worry about it. Anaxilus and I saw Craig spend the entire summer being entirely frustrated looking for a good affordable transformer solution. In the end, he went with Electraprint. - the supplier for the 2A3 and BA. He seems to be the kind of person who would rather starve than release something that sounds like schitt. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back