Irvine/Orange County Meet Impressions
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 133
LMAO I wonder how long until somebody quotes you seriously 
beyersmile.png

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 133

Quote:
^See, I should just wait until you figure it all out, Marv.

(Or, just stay a step behind you.)

Please PM me when you are ready to sell the HD 800.  
tongue.gif

Never! I still plan on keeping the HD800. To me, and on my setup, the HD800 is still #1 in terms of extraction of low-level information, particularly in the upper midrange and treble. You have the UERMs, so you would understand the importance of how capturing the "sense" and "feeling" of things barely audible are to "musicality" and "magic."

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 133
Thanks for your thoughts.  I know you need more time to get/review the pair, but could you elaborate your initial impressions more in detail?  I am on the verge of making a decision: wait until full reviews show up or place an order now.

Quote:

You may not, but I will.  The LCD3 is the best dynamic headphone ever.  In fact, the LCD3 is so good, I already found a new buyer for my Stax rig and will likely be taking a break from the headphone community, as there will not be any more improvements to sound quality until the next Audeze incarnation.  Having heard the R-10, the L3000s, and the HE90s, and knowing how ridiculously the LCD3 trounces over either of them... I'd be perfectly willing to spend upwards of $14450 for these (I don't make typos).  My dedication to the greatness that is the LCD3 is exactly 10 times that of yours.

I've never heard angels sing, but I'd fully expect it to sound like the exquisite tones I heard today when loading up a square wave sweep.  If you thought one square wave measured well on the LCD3, just imagine how incredible it is when EVERY square wave in the human audio spectrum is fed to you one after another.  As for regular music, I've never heard music played so incredibly well as I did on the LCD3 for the 25 seconds I was allowed to use them before one of the reps took them from me as I was listening to them.  Second to the painfully obvious, these were the second greatest 25 seconds of my life.

Purrin, I hope you and I receive our pre-order LCD3s on the same day and power them up for the first time together.  The magnitude of this event would be so great, the heavens will likely open up and happiness will flow freely unto the land until the people have drunk their fill.  Happiness and beer.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #25 of 133
You guys are stealing some of skylab's thunder, by the time he does his write up it will be old news.

I got my pre order in very early so I am looking forward to plugging the LCD-3 into my Liquid Fire and its high end quad set of nos tubes.

Does anybody know how long the headphone cord (SE) is for the LCD-3's, and did they use the headphone cord that comes with the LCD-3's?
Also what kind of break-in time frame is recommended with the LCD-3's?

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #26 of 133
Thanks Purrin for organizing this meet :] I can finally put a face behind the screen name 
biggrin.gif
ahahahha well beside for Purrin of course 
tongue.gif

Totally fell in love with the 009s but $$$$$$$$$$ is the issue. Also sampled the LCD3 :] Hopefully audeze are planning to sell those pads since it was so comfy.
I need to get my hands onto some T50RPs 

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #27 of 133
Love the head gear displayed on the previous page. Nice LCD-3 impressions too purrin. Your measured tone lends weight to the views expressed.

Anyone care to elaborate on how the Bifrost/Lyr/LCD-2 combo fared against the big boys?

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #28 of 133

Quote:

You may not, but I will.  The LCD3 is the best dynamic headphone ever.  In fact, the LCD3 is so good, I already found a new buyer for my Stax rig and will likely be taking a break from the headphone community, as there will not be any more improvements to sound quality until the next Audeze incarnation.  Having heard the R-10, the L3000s, and the HE90s, and knowing how ridiculously the LCD3 trounces over either of them... I'd be perfectly willing to spend upwards of $14450 for these (I don't make typos).  My dedication to the greatness that is the LCD3 is exactly 10 times that of yours.

I've never heard angels sing, but I'd fully expect it to sound like the exquisite tones I heard today when loading up a square wave sweep.  If you thought one square wave measured well on the LCD3, just imagine how incredible it is when EVERY square wave in the human audio spectrum is fed to you one after another.  As for regular music, I've never heard music played so incredibly well as I did on the LCD3 for the 25 seconds I was allowed to use them before one of the reps took them from me as I was listening to them.  Second to the painfully obvious, these were the second greatest 25 seconds of my life.

Purrin, I hope you and I receive our pre-order LCD3s on the same day and power them up for the first time together.  The magnitude of this event would be so great, the heavens will likely open up and happiness will flow freely unto the land until the people have drunk their fill.  Happiness and beer.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #29 of 133

Quote:
Thanks Marv for putting this together, was great fun. :)

Didn't listen to that much:

AD2000: A bit disappointing to me.  I'd never heard these before and was hoping the hype from a couple of members was warranted, but they were pretty average sounding to me.  Really grainy sounding which was annoying.

LFF's modded T50RPs:  Highlight of the meet for me personally.  Best ortho I've ever heard, only ortho that has a good amount of air and a nice soundstage.  This sounded more like an open headphone really...it totally caught me off gaurd.  Tonal balance was fantastic, very similar to the SR009 but wasn't as refined/fast/open.  

LCD3: I don't have much of a reaction to this headphone.  Sounded more balanced than the LCD2rev1 I had (haven't heard rev2).  Overall good but not a giant killer by any means in my mind.  I was thinking of buying one but am no longer interested.

It was nice seeing all you guys, you were all fun to talk to.  Cya next time :)

x2 on all points.

Heard a different LCD2 r2 today w/ very low expectations compared to all prior 4-5 LCD2 listens.  Pleasantly surprised!  Not the same dysfunctional r2 we heard in Buena Park at all. 
Heard the LCD3 w/ much higher expectations but came away more cold from the experience.  I think I was having issues w/ the new comfy pads collapsing and deforming the acoustic chamber too much if I had to guess.  Or it just sounds like that?
So far heard 5 LCDs and liked 1.

Quote:
Never! I still plan on keeping the HD800. To me, and on my setup, the HD800 is still #1 in terms of extraction of low-level information, particularly in the upper midrange and treble. You have the UERMs, so you would understand the importance of how capturing the "sense" and "feeling" of things barely audible are to "musicality" and "magic."

x2 as well.  Though finally hearing the 009 removed from the 323 really makes them sing.  Most of the issues I had w/ the 009 vanished removing that sorry excuse of an amp.  It's still just a hair shelved in the low end like the graph shows for my taste and a bit ethereal and light on presence and impact but that's the Stax signature and this is the best yet IMO.  It's nit picking but for any phone from $1-$5K I'm going to take a microscope to it.  Wonderful phone though, those minor criticisms could easily go unnoticed or forgotten upon extended listening.  As far as ToTL phones there is only the HD800 and 009 on my radar for both performance and musicality especially once you dial in the synergies.  Audeze definitely moves closer after my listen today than I had them previously.  

Quote:

Damn your edit.  Wrt your lost virginty, pics or it didn't happen!

--Honorable mention--

I have to chime in and express my deep respect and admiration for Donald North's 2A3 amp.  I have spent much time building synergies w/ the HD800 and his 2A3 waltzed in and knocked it out of the park.  Double the price of the Super7 though but good enough to make me consider it strongly.  Absolutely the most neutral, transparent, resolving, extended, yet lush and natural sounding amp I've heard yet from the HD800 in that combination.  Very few things in audio can nail that balance.  Great w/ the LCD2r.2 as well and just about anything that produces sound.  Great work Donald!

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #30 of 133

Now THAT'S what I call hyperbole! Lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back