Ironbuds - indestructable earbuds?
Jul 31, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 22
@deadsea: cables break more often than connectors - and you can replace just the section that broke

as for sound quality, not enough information to really decide - if i get a pair i'll probably post a review on what i think ^^

Well, thats a sort of but not quite scenario isn't it. I've had a fair few pairs of earphone cables break on me, but it's always been at the jack there, never in the middle of the wires and those things have a heck of a lot of jacks. From my previous experiences at least, if it doesn't get flexed much, wires are pretty durable. But looking at the funding they've got, they have comvinced a good number of people that theirs is a good idea. Hope it works out for them.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #17 of 22
well, the only time i had a 3.5mm jack break * , it was a plastic encased jack, and i dropped a laptop on it (a thinkpad, the laptop was fine, a wire inside it broke). Otoh, i've had nicked cables, cables coming loose from the transducers, and with full sized headphones, plastic fatigue. Under normal usage, unless its a totally junk plug its unlikely

*I've had a 1/4 inch plug on a terrible 1/4 inch mic connector disintegrate, but that was a combination of unusual stresses and shoddy components. At that point, a lot of things got replaced on our recording setup. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #18 of 22
Well I'm interested in the project. I paid the $47 for the audiophile set. I'm not expecting them to be mid-fi but for the price I don't think anyone should. Hopefully they sound decent which for the features would be a good bargain for people who go through cheapo B&M headphones like tissue.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 22
Looks like a sales gimmick. Mechanical connectors are not as good as physical connections. I'll take solder over a jack any day.

A friend of mine is in a local band that gigs all over. Gear gets thrown in the back of pickups and driven from bar to bar.

It's always the jacks/connectors that break down. (Neutrik connectors seem to hold up quite well, though. There's been a lot of retrofitting.) Cables and the gear itself hold up pretty well. These just introduce a lot of unnecessary points of failure.

Of course, they should appeal quite well to those who like to play Barbie dress-up with gear.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #20 of 22
well.... I'm sitting here in Sweden stupified at how good these are for the price - seriously I have had Kliptsch i5s and Jays and a ton of others over the past three years and none approach the build quality or sound of these. The sound is outstanding for this price - much clearer and louder than others. Gimmick? Absolutely not....seriously good value at $37 and all parts are interchangable, reorderable, and renewable. I am more than pleased.......(oh and they arrived within 5 days of ordering)....

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
well.... I'm sitting here in Sweden stupified at how good these are for the price - seriously I have had Kliptsch i5s and Jays and a ton of others over the past three years and none approach the build quality or sound of these. The sound is outstanding for this price - much clearer and louder than others. Gimmick? Absolutely not....seriously good value at $37 and all parts are interchangable, reorderable, and renewable. I am more than pleased.......(oh and they arrived within 5 days of ordering)....

OMG seriously?

Now hoping for a review of thus from you soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back