Iron transformer standoffs / platform / risers
Dec 14, 2015 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys,

I'm building a tube amp enclosed in a chassis with the transformer on the bottom plate. The transformer is a Hammond 270DAX (http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5c0026-27.pdf) that has wires coming out of the bottom, on the same level as the mounting wings.

I would like to bold the transformer to the bottom of the chassis or on standoffs, platform or risers, or whatever you guys could recommend.

Having looked around online, I've found little in terms of choices for how this could be done while still being somewhat stable (standoffs are small and I don't know if they'll hold the weight, a platform is a great idea but requires some decent machining and I haven't come across risers that could be used. The one idea that I saw that was reasonable, though I would kind of like to avoid, is cutting the side panels on the transformers to release the wires from the sides.

I might be able to bend the wings on the transformer and try to squeeze the wires underneath but it just doesn't sound like the best solution, though it certainly is the easiest.

Any ideas guys? Photos and links would be best.

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 7
Doesn't the 270DAX have hole punch-outs on the bell ends? I seem to recall that, but I could be wrong. If not, you could just drill a hole through each bell and insert a grommet to protect the wires. 

If you don't want to do that, you could buy a flat, thin length of aluminum from Home Depot or Lowes, cut two pieces the length of the transformer, then drill and thread mounting holes and mount the xformer on top of that. That would give a nice solid mounting option and leave the middle below the transformer open to run the wires. You could also use some sort of other material that damps the vibrations if you want to get creative.

If you want to use short #8 aluminum standoffs it should be enough support.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 7
This model doesn't have side exit holes. I think the easiest solution would really be to carve the side and let the wires out this way.

I have an aluminium plate that could work but it's quite a bit of work to make it work with standoffs. Still this might be the best way I know of.

Standoffs directly on the transformer are something I'm trying to avoid. They just aren't big enough unless I go with 8/32 or larger. I use 4/32 for everything normally as it's the unofficial standard.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 7
You could just use 3 or 4 metal washers between trans and your plate. That would lift it up (allowing wires to be brought out the space) and still have the trans securely bolted down. This would also allow air to circulate around the trans helping to cool it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back