Iron Lung JellyFish VS SoniKLEER2 power cords!
Jun 20, 2007 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I have read through a few posts concerning power cords. Now I found two in the price range I am willing to pay.

The Iron Lung JellyFish 39$ minus shipping:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&ct=res...mbtayRJnLDCSsA

SoniKLEER2 29$ minus shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

I emailed the maker of the SoniKLEER concerning the difference between the two and here is the response I got from her:
Hi Charles,

Thank you for your interest and for this question.

I honestly cannot say what Paul is using for his Iron Lung Jellyfish cables, but they certainly do look very similar to mine. Paul is a very honest and well-respected audio person. He is an innovator and I happen to own a pair of his TAD1000 amps. Our Cryo SoniKLEER power cables work extremely well with his amps.

So I cannot say what process if any Paul uses to treat his cables. I do know that mine have been Cryo treated using our SoniKLEER process which involves slowly dropping the temperature using liquid nitrogen gas to -300 degrees F over a period of time and then keeping the temperature at -300 for 24 hours. The temperature in the Cryo chamber is then slowly raised until close to room temperature and the cables are then ready to use. I do not see in his web site that Paul is using such a process on his cables.

This process is performed for us by a lab which specializes in this process for many top companies and government agencies including NASA.

Our cables are 16 gauge, and I see that Paul's are 14 gauge. I do not find that audio equipment needs or requires 14 gauge so we supply 16 gauge. Our original Cryo SoniKLEER power cables were supplied as 18 gauge which were extremely well received. For this, our latest version of these cables, we decided to use 16 gauge cables.

The cables themselves were originally made for hospital medical equipment, and we purchase them directly and then had the Cryo SoniKLEER process applied to them.

I can tell you that these cables do work, and work well.

We have had many, many reorders of our Cryo SoniKLEER power cables.

Thanks again for your interest...I believe you will be impressed with the sonic improvements that are offered by these Cryo SoniKLEER cables.

Cordially,

Sandy
I plan to use this power cord with my LD2++ with rolled tubes. I am wondering if someone out there has tested those? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Charles

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 19
Ouch. The Iron Lung's were $29.99 for 2 a few months back. =T

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Our cables are 16 gauge, and I see that Paul's are 14 gauge. I do not find that audio equipment needs or requires 14 gauge so we supply 16 gauge.

All other things being equal, if I had two identical cords, one is 16 guage, the other 14 guage-- give me the 14 guage!

Now he cryo treats his basic Quail cables (which is what the Iron Lung is), but on something as cheap as these mass-produced cords, I wonder how much that's worth, but it could level the playing field. Or, it could make it out-perform the Iron Lung.

Without comparing, I don't have a recommendation. Why not a cryo-treated Jellyfish? Now there's a good concept!
580smile.gif
Still either of these cords should be a nice cheap upgrade over stock, but don't expect it to totally rock your world.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 19
I have the Iron Lung and they are great and sound comparable to more expensive Signal Cable power cords I have.

I will agree that Paul is great to deal with and has many innovative products and is one of the most honest people in the business.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan to use this power cord with my LD2++ with rolled tubes. I am wondering if someone out there has tested those? Any advice would be appreciated!

I originally received a pair these as the result of a shipping mistake by an eBay store
biggrin.gif
and plugged them into my ASL MS-SPM6 monoblocks because they were the only power cords I had that would reach
wink_face.gif
. They turned out to work really well, though: sweet mids & open highs. As an aside, I've noticed before that cheap but tasty Chinese gear seems to prefer power cables of the same ilk...anyway, I think that the wire irself is pretty fine, but the connectors kind of suck: I ended up reterminating them with Oyaide P-037 plugs & C-037 IECs to very good effect.

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 19
I just got one of these from Rusty, the Ebay seller--very nice, fast shipping, great price. The cable is really good after about 40 hours of burn-in, has opened up nicely. Listening, it is amazing that the cryo process can improve something this much.

While the cable sounded really good with the standard connectors, I realized that things could get better with improved connectors. I had cryo'd Wattgates so I put those on and the cable became more articulate.

The best power cable I have ever owned was the Nordost Vishnu, which I used with a $1600 system. Fabulous. Obviously, the $40 SoniKleer doesn't perform on that level, but it is a great fit for the modest system I have now, and does not disappoint.

I listen primarily to classical and love the nuances and details, the layers in this kind of music. Am listening through a Channel Islands VHP-1 and VAC-1 upgrade power supply, with a RAL silver umbilical. The amp has a MAC HC silver-over-copper power cable. A Marantz CD 5001 is the source, with DIY silver interconnects. I had a DIY silver/copper power cable on the CD5001. There seemed to be too much silver and I felt the CD player needed a bit more copper, but copper with "life". After much research on Head-fi and elsewhere, and pondering my budget, decided to go for the SoniKleer2. The SoniKleer power cable is just a bit warmer than neutral, but has PRAT to bring detail to life. I saved $$ which I will use for new music.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 19
love the iron lungs ... i just cant get over the nuts who spend $100+ on a pc

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 19
One minute listening to a PS Audio PowerPunch cord was more than enough to realize that my Audio-GD power cable was going to sell. It has more detail, stronger bass and is much faster, it was like an upgrade over an already upgrade. The only drawback was a somewhat closer soundstage, something that is not very much problem with my K701.

Using both cords on an amp driving speakers they still performed as I said, but differences were minor.

I know this may not be the topic to talk about this cable, and this thread is from long time ago, but I tought I could add something.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 19
Keep in mind Sganzerla that every power cord will sound different on each piece of gear. I know this for a fact because I have several and I've had over 30 in my home that I've tried. If the PS Audio works well for you on that piece of equipment, that's great!
smily_headphones1.gif
I've had some here that I've tried and they were good but average cables. The Audio-gd cord is the best "all-rounder" for the price (and way up) that I've tried, and certainly better on the Audio-gd Phoenix than a $1,000 power cord I have. Synergy is everything.
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Sorry to bump an old thread, but need I worry about SoniKLEER and JellyFish cords not having any shielding (as best I understand) to block out RF and EM noise? Regardless, I am now thinking of picking up one of the two to test out with my rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back