iRiver iHP-140 with 128GB SSD
Feb 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

nickosiris

500+ Head-Fier
In the last couple of weeks I've bought a second iHP-140 (off eBay), a 128GB SSD, and a 2200mAh replacement battery. I'll be sticking the all together as soon as the iRiver arrives. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this? I've heard of at least one 64GB SSD in an iHP-140, but a 128GB?

I'll also post the results of this little experiment hereabouts.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 165
I really think a SSD for music listening in a portable DAP is overkill, because playing music don't need high transfer speed. Moreover, if you use USB for transferring music, you won't see many difference between SSD and HD, because USB doesn't allow high speeds.

Just buy a "simple" hard disk and put the SSD disk in your laptop. That just will be the best to do, IMO.

So that just will be "a try", but not an idea to keep in mind for me.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 165
the reason he is doing this no doubt is that the 120gig hdd is a VERY tight fit with an expanded battery without some fiddly hacksaw/butchery mods, and the ssd will ensure freedom from damage with any knocks/drops the player gets.

I dont see an issue other than price, but if the op has the cash good luck to him.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 165
SSD is faster access compared with HDD, plus no mechanical noise and no mechanical failure unlike an HDD. I've bought a couple of non-working iHP-120s and their only problem was a failed HDD. I converted them to 32GB SDHC. However, SSDs are still very expensive compared to HDDs. Good luck in your conversion.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 165
the reason I would use solid state in an iriver is the problem of HDD spin-up time.

so often when I had an h120, I would get frustrated when trying to navigate to the menu after a song, but having to wait 4 seconds until the system responded. that little amount of added convenience is worth it, imo

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 165
Whoamg that is a huge expense for a small convenience.

Sounds like Head-Fi to me
biggrin.gif

I keed, I keed.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a 120 Gb harddisc, the proper adapter and a extended capacity battery, there is no problem with space inside the iRiver HP140.
No "fiddly hacksaw/butchery mods" is necessary.

with the new adaptors maybe, but those who did the 120gig upgrade before the new slimline adaptors came out, and included a cameron sino 2200mah battery found it was excessively tight and some butchery mods were indeed needed.

So dont tell people what does and what does not need doing without giving them the full facts about what does and what does not need doing.

If you squeezed a 120gb hdd along with 2200mah battery without the new slimline adaptor then you are placing extreme pressure on the body of the player and your hdd will cease to function properly owing to the strain, unless you perform these mods.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 165
Main reasons for doing this are:

1) Got hold of the SSD at a reasonable price (I hesitate to use the word "cheap").
2) No disk spin-up time.
3) Silent operation.
4) No moving parts = less to go wrong.
5) No moving parts = less demand on the battery.
6) Because I can.

Yes, it's overkill, but it will make me very happy.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 165
Good luck with the mods, I think it will all work out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I modded my 20GB Cowon X5 by sticking a 32gb compact flash card in there and rockboxing it, no regrets here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back