IRIS ListenWell
Aug 19, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #31 of 41
While I understand where some of the criticism comes from, I think there is more to IRIS.
Yes, I agree, the app should make sure the perceived dB doesn’t go up. But you can correct if you compare.
And yes, the algorithm does - at the moment - something crossfeed like. Not channel swap but more towards the middle.
It is less an audiophile approach but bringing more “life” into the sound. I like it.

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #32 of 41
They suggest a lot of things without being clear about any of them. That's usually not a good sign. And making their stuff louder is another alert. To me it says they don't have actual confidence that their DSP will consistently be preferred in a direct comparison. So they resort to using the oldest audio trick in the book. Also not a good sign.
I have no comment on the subjective impression from using their headphones as I did not try. But now I can say that I'm not a fan of their marketing approach.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #33 of 41
It is akin to crossfeed but a bit better implementation [to me]. In acoustic space recorded jazz it ‘moves’ the impression of where the instruments appear to the middle. With studio recordings [to me] this is a non issue. It fills in the hole/void, so-to-speak, and makes the listening experience fuller and richer with MP3s. The artifact is a sensation the music is slightly louder, but thus far it appears to be a result of having more information between my ears, an acceptable trade-off/deviation from ‘audiophile’ quality.

Audiophile quality? Well, subjectively that is up to each listener. In fairness, I don’t think this is their customer profile, so in that sense, there is no need to cater to this narrow market. I would suggest, along with the marketing data, most mobile MP3 headphone listeners are not audiophiles, and could care less how its done - smoke and mirrors - as long as the result is pleasing to the ear.

I have tried many crossfeeds over the years and tired of most of them due to the artifacts. This one, so far, seems to be pretty well done and fairly benign. Partner this with a streaming service, provide the button, and it could be a real game changer. Not interested in their headphones.

Again, the jury remains out but I leave the audiophile side of my hobby for my full-blown home system, So far so good for IRIS.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #34 of 41
When people in sound science say "audio quality", they generally mean audio *fidelity*. Obviously a fancy crossfeed doesn't at all fit within that definition. I see nothing wrong with using DSPs to monkey around with the sound as long as you can turn them off if you don't want them. It's nicer if they give you parameters to adjust so you can choose the kind and degree of processing you prefer. But the sales pitch of "flip the switch and magic happens" seems to indicate that they've taken a one-size-fits-all approach.

Is this audiophile fidelity? Nope. Could it possibly sound good? Sure. But it's going to be a matter of personal taste. If it sounds good to you, it doesn't mean it will sound good to others. Everyone has to listen to it themselves and make their own mind up. But if I was going to buy crossfeed, I would prefer it to not be joined at the hip to a specific brand and model of headphones. I might like the crossfeed but not the cans or vice versa.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #35 of 41
Ah, sorry, I didn’t notice this was Sound Science. I rarely post on the forum in general. The topic was timely as I was experimenting with IRIS, I chimed in before I looked. I respect this is a science-based forum so please disregard my subjective observations and the intrusion.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #36 of 41
Ah, sorry, I didn’t notice this was Sound Science. I rarely post on the forum in general. The topic was timely as I was experimenting with IRIS, I chimed in before I looked. I respect this is a science-based forum so please disregard my subjective observations and the intrusion.
Nothing wrong with subjective opinions when they're clearly expressed as such, like you did. :wink:
when it comes to personal taste,

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #37 of 41
I think we need baseball hats that say sound science on them so people will instantly know what team we are on!

Aug 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #38 of 41
"Nothing wrong with subjective opinions when they're clearly expressed as such, like you did."

Thank you, sir.

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #39 of 41
IRIS (ANC and Isolation)

I'm by no means an expert, but isn't that total garbage what they say?
  1. Pressure: Only when done wrong (or too aggressive?). There are ANC headphones out there which have no pressure. Shure Aonic 50 for example. They have a slight hiss on ANC Max, but not hearable when it's needed. No pressure though.
  2. Distortion: Their whole IRIS algorithm generates "distortion" from a technical point of view. So the audio isn't pure anyways anymore.
  3. Isolation: Never had any over-ear headphones that isolate as good as some with ANC turned on.
  4. "Most natural sound response available": See the distortion part. :)
If it sounds nice, that's one thing. And if their marketing is a bit sketchy, that's fine as well. That's how marketing works nowadays...
But Their technical explanation is either marketing as well, or they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #40 of 41
I have a pair of the IRIS headphones from their Indiegogo campaign, and they do indeed have excellent isolation even with glasses--better than my Oppo PM-3 headphones, which have good isolation. I tried them out against my Jabra 85H with ANC engaged and had similar results in blocking most extraneous sound (my wife's too-loud Real Housewives programs). I don't have any better ANC to test them against, but I'd assume that superior ANC like Bose and Sony might be able to beat them. Very, very solid build, again similar to the PM-3s.

It's not entirely clear to me what the IRIS algorithm is doing but I do have a couple observations from listening for about three weeks:

1) Big, big bump to the lower midrange--around a baritone vocal range sweet spot. Guesstimating I'd say the bump is most prominent around the E-flat below middle C to the B-flat below middle C, so that would be roughly 155 hz to 240 hz. I'd love to see some measurements of what's going on here on the frequency charts. Good bass extension; organ pedals have the gut rumble of a good subwoofer. Due to my age I can't really comment on the higher end since I can't hear anything above 10khz any more. The bump definitely drops off way below that point though.
2) That's not all though, there is definitely some playing around with the phasing. It's more noticeable with larger ensembles (orchestras and choirs). It does have a very pleasing effect, with a more open and natural-sounding soundstage. I'd put these in the "fun" category, not the "neutral" category, definitely.
3) On older stereo like early Beatles, where there is a very hard pan for various instruments (probably as a result of double tracking), with the IRIS algorithm engaged it makes them sound like a single ensemble rather than separate instruments playing off on their own. Again, not neutral or faithful to the original at all, but it sure sounds better to me. I'd assume this is more of the phasing manipulation.

Maybe these observations can give some ideas as to what's going on here.

The IRIS algorithm can be shut off without the app; there's a switch on the right ear cup that you press to turn on and off. I usually use the app to switch the algorithm on and off though. The switch is a little hard to find without practice. Other than the on-off switch, most of the controls are indistinguishable and not user-friendly. They were clearly going the Apple route of pretty over practical.

Other than simplifying the bluetooth connection process, the app isn't necessary for using the headphones. I have had zero problem with bluetooth connection with my older iPhone. Range is excellent and battery performance is as advertised: after three weeks I've only charged them once, when I got them and I have listened to them almost every day for at least an hour and sometimes up to three (they do make one rather sweaty after about the second hour due to the isolation seal).

I like them quite a lot. I wouldn't use them for reviewing CDs because they aren't at all neutral, but for listening enjoyment, they rank pretty high in my book. I've referred to the sound as addictive; it reminds me of the feeling I had when I first used a tube amp, and didn't want to listen to anything else.

Sorry, I know this isn't at all scientific, but these headphones don't seem to be discussed anywhere else on the forum that I could find in a search. If anyone has questions about them, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back