iQuit: Steve Jobs Takes Leave Of Absence Due To Illness
Jan 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They didn't before. It was a dark time for mac users in the mid to late 90s.

completely different scenario.... Apples and oranges, so to speak.

Apple was struggling even before he left; it wasn't diversified, it didn't have massive market share in key areas, or 25 billion dollars in the bank.

it's a totally different company than it was the last time.

i'm not saying it will definitely be fine... sure, the company could flounder. there will be a lot of challenges without Jobs. but this time he'd be leaving more on his own terms, with successors prepped and ready(ish) to go.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 29
I feel bad for Steve being sick. Hope he gets better. But after reading "Apple Confidential" I never saw Jobs as Apple's "mastermind." Do most people know Apple kept kicking him around the company because wanted to get rid of him? It's only because the stole the glory away from Jef Raskin, the real inventor of the macintosh, that he came back into the limelight. Then there was Jobs getting fired, and being sued by Apple after stealing employees and technology to start his ill-fated Next. He's a pitchman, that's about it. What's the quote from "Chinatown?": ""After long enough even old buildings and whores become respectable." I get the feeling that people think Jobs sits in his office writing up the schematics of the next ipod.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #19 of 29
I think that they will be alright without him. He didn't design everything they have put out in the market, he just hired the people that do, and they are still there. I think that he should have taken time off earlier, especially if it is as serious as it seems to be.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #21 of 29
I think there will be a struggle, because while he doesn't provide the design, he does provide the vision. Apple thrives because it operates within the confines of things he thinks are cool. The market apparently agrees with a lot of his vision, and so they're successful. In contrast, lots of other companies have as many creative and smart people, but don't do as well, because they don't have the vision.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 29
I don't know why but for some reason my Brain told me to say: "what if Steve Jobs and John Grado meet each other, will they make some kind of Hi-Fi Computer or some High-Tech Cans"

iQuit <- Haha funny

Steve Jobs <- Get well soon

Brain <- Stop telling me non sensical stuff

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #28 of 29
get well stevey boy, you are the creative force despite naysayers. strange that apple and MS founders are both going to be away from there posts, one by his own free will and steve with health.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #29 of 29
Bill gates is an influential figure too, but Microsoft is already strong enough that can easily survive even with some random guy as a CEO. Unfortunately, Apple isn't. I sure hope Jobs will get better and stay as a Apple CEO. There's allot smart and creative guys there but he's pretty much the most important and hardest to replace thing of the company: image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back