IPod vs Zune
Aug 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #123 of 147
Don't choose the Zune simply because of its larger screen. The Pod actually wins in this respect due to its smaller screen. (Same exact resolution = slighly crisper picture.) Color rendition is virtually identical.

Have had experience with sis's 5G Pod as well as her Zune and browsing wise, they both fell short. The 5.5G fares much, much better with a dedicated search feature that allows songs to be categorized by letter.

If I had to choose one, I'll get the 5.5 80 GBPod, Rockbox it, Imod it and stuff it to the brim with FLAC files.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #124 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You missed this

You're missing something too.

Regarding screens, the Zune has a 3" screen using a 16x9 aspect ratio. The iPod has a 2.5" screen with a 4x3 aspect ratio.

However, both have the same 320x240 resolution. So the Zune screen results in soft video, blurry pictures, and washed out color due to the improper resolution for that aspect ratio.

As for the "huge stupid click wheel", looking at my 80GB iPod, the click wheel on it is slightly smaller than the click wheel on my 4GB 2G iPod mini.

So yes, the screen on the iPod IS the "dominant feature" on the iPod. Whats better is that the iPod screen has a resolution that matches the screen aspect ratio so nothing gets stretched and distorted
wink.gif

But the Zune still fails compared to the iPod in other respects as well. As the poster you replied to pointed out. The iPod supports lossless audio, gapless, lineout, DVD quality video out over S-Video, 80GB, contacts, notes, UMS hard drive, better video codec support, games, rockbox, podcasts, and you can use it on a number of operating systems. Unlike the Zune, I'm not locked into Windows or one piece of software. I can use it on OS X, Linux, Windows, whatever, and have a variety of software on ALL OS'es that I can choose from. Or I can Rockbox it and be free of any software.

I really don't understand why people say the navigation is better on the Zune either. They ripped off the iPod UI and just added some "Microsoft Magic" too it. It's no different than how they ripped off OS X for Vista and screwed it up with the Microsoft Touch. The button you have to click click click to get anywhere gets old fast.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the iPod has a great Calendar feature, stopwatch, screen lock, and multiple clocks.

And it has an alarm clock and sleep timer
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #125 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOSA500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're missing something too.

Regarding screens, the Zune has a 3" screen using a 16x9 aspect ratio. The iPod has a 2.5" screen with a 4x3 aspect ratio.

However, both have the same 320x240 resolution. So the Zune screen results in software video, blurry pictures, and washed out color due to the improper resolution for that aspect ratio.

As for the "huge stupid click wheel", looking at my 80GB iPod, the click wheel on it is slightly smaller than the click wheel on my 4GB 2G iPod mini.

So yes, the screen on the iPod IS the "dominant feature" on the iPod. Whats better is that the iPod screen has a resolution that matches the screen aspect ratio so nothing gets stretched and distorted
wink.gif

But the Zune still fails compared to the iPod in other respects as well. As the poster you replied to pointed out. The iPod supports lossless audio, gapless, lineout, DVD quality video out over S-Video, 80GB, contacts, notes, UMS hard drive, better video codec support, games, rockbox, podcasts, and you can use it on a number of operating systems. Unlike the Zune, I'm not locked into Windows or one piece of software. I can use it on OS X, Linux, Windows, whatever, and have a variety of software on ALL OS'es that I can choose from. Or I can Rockbox it and be free of any software.

I really don't understand why people say the navigation is better on the Zune either. They ripped off the iPod UI and just added some "Microsoft Magic" too it. It's no different than how they ripped off OS X for Vista and screwed it up with the Microsoft Touch. The button you have to click click click to get anywhere gets old fast.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the iPod has a great Calendar feature, stopwatch, screen lock, and multiple clocks.

And it has an alarm clock and sleep timer
wink.gif

I won't get involved in this bash fest. But I would like to add that the UI is actually Creative, as they hold the copyrights on it and Apple and Microsoft are infringing on it. And most of the useful things you listed about Apple are due to being able to hack it and installing Rockbox, not because Apple is so generous.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #128 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't get involved in this bash fest. But I would like to add that the UI is actually Creative, as they hold the copyrights on it and Apple and Microsoft are infringing on it. And most of the useful things you listed about Apple are due to being able to hack it and installing Rockbox, not because Apple is so generous.

Actually, you need to do your research.

The patent that Creative "won" was designed for a totally different UI than the one in current DAPs, including the iPod. If you look at the patent details you can see that the UI that Creative holds the patent for is for their older portable CD player sized DAPs.

After Creative sued Apple, Apple fired back with multiple counter-suits that would have dragged out for years and basically drained Creative of all of its cash.

But rather than do that, Apple paid Creative $100m and Creative joined the "Made for iPod" program. They basically did that because it would be cheaper to do that than to beat Creative in court over the course of several years and never recover their attorneys fees.

The quarter that Creative received that $100m was the only quarter in several years that they didn't bleed money.

Apple basically saved them with that donation. But even with that donation, Creative still posted a loss for the year, just like many years before it.

It amazes me that the company is still around.

Notice how Creative didn't go after anyone else? Because they know that their patent doesn't hold any ground and if they were to go after someone else, like Microsoft..... well, Microsoft isn't as kind as Apple.

With what Creative did, it just proves that they're just another company that couldn't innovate so they had to sue the successful company to try and get some cash. Creative's CEO is nothing more than a psycho and a cry-baby.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #129 of 147
@MOSA500. This is why everyone including their mother hates the ifanboys.

Zune screen ratio is the same as i_Pod. 4:3. Period. My screen looks quite fine.

You say you can use the i_Pod on any OS with a myriad of software. I'll tell you something. Unless your i_Pod is rockboxed you miss gapless playback when you don't use iTunes.

The Zune UI is based on Media Center. better yet...PMC. it was funny reading that MS ripped the i_Pod interface when the interface belongs to Creative.
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #130 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And most of the useful things you listed about Apple are due to being able to hack it and installing Rockbox, not because Apple is so generous.

actually the only thing he mentioned that requires using rockbox is when he said you can use rockbox. everything can be done with the stock ipod.

ricardo, with the ipod you can use itunes on 2 operating systems and get gapless playback. in addition to that, there are a number of third party software options on most operating systems. even though you don't get gapless with that third party software (unless you use rockbox - another option), all of these features and options are very far ahead of the zune - which can never do gapless and can only be used on one operating system with only one piece of software.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #131 of 147
I think Hooah is talking about pre-5G hardware and the shuffle...since there isn't Rockbox for the shuffle. I say this since the thread is named "iPod vs Zune". Not "i_Pod 5G+ vs Zune"

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #132 of 147
no, hooah is not. why would he be talking about the shuffle when he was talking about installing rockbox? and why would we be comparing old ipods to the current zune?

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #133 of 147
Quote:

no, hooah is not. why would he be talking about the shuffle when he was talking about installing rockbox? and why would we be comparing old ipods to the current zune?

I will tell you something. the 73 ppl that voted for Zune...voted 'cause there is just 1 variation of the Zune. But the other 98 that voted i_Pod could be owner of just a shuffle (like yourself) instead of a 5G+ one.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #134 of 147
i'm pretty sure that people are able to deduce we are talking about the hard drive ipod when they were asked to decide between an ipod and the zune, but you are correct, the ipod line does have a much better selection of devices.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #135 of 147
Rockbox is useless on the Mac. Thankfully iTunes is a million times more versatile for Mac users.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back