IPod vs Zune
Jul 19, 2007 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 147

Topplayer

100+ Head-Fier
I want to know the differences in the line out, and the headphone out. Also which do you guys like more discuss
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 147
Zune is nice and simple.
I like the screen better, just because of it's size. Too bad it's only 30Gb though, and the battery life is mediocre...
(Compared to iPod video)

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 147
iPod video 30GB and Zune 30GB have the same *mediocre* battery life.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 147
The zunes headphone out is better than the ipods headphone out...but amping the ipods lineout is superior to the zunes headphone out in every way...

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 147
Zune.

I have experience with both the ipod video and just recently got a zune. I greatly prefer the styling of the zune, its ui, buttons, how it feels in the hand, screen, everything basically. Sound quality is very nice as well. I like the software it came with better than itunes. I like being able to customize the background. This was a big thing for me haha. From my experience, the only thing I'd say the ipod has a one up on the zune is getting dvds and movies onto the device. it was a lot easier for me to find software to get DVDs onto my moms ipod than it was for the zune.

I think it basically just comes down to personal preference really and how you're going to be using the device. Its ultimately going to come down to which of the two you like the look and feel of better and whether or not you plan on amping or not.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Tutorial....DVD-to-Zune
http://digitalkevo.blogspot.com/2007...onversion.html

Thanks for the link but I cant use windows media encoder. it crashes on me whenever i load a media file for some reason. I'm going to try this Super dvd to zune guide i found earlier when I get home. hopefully that will work.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 147
I have the 80g ipod and the zune. For some reason i tend to use the zune straight out to headphones but the ipod goes thru the tomahawk. (personally don't like adjusting the zune vol and then using the tomahawk vol control).

When looking at all the features that the players have, I would pick the ipod over the zune. I travel a bunch and love the crazy battery life of the ipod, plus world time, contacts list, bunch of the other applications that you don't get with the zune.

But i really like watching videos on the zune, like how the album art displays almost full screen so its a great second player for me, but it could never replace the ipod for full functionality.

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 147
Headphone out: Zune (clear difference)
Line-out: iPod (Zune is non-existent)
Loudness: iPod
Video: Zune
Form Factor: iPod
Appearance: iPod
Software: iPod (has options, and I MUCH prefer iTunes to Zune)
UI: Toss-up, comes down to preference
Battery: Haven't tested against each other
Price: Zune

I see no clear winner here, both have advantages.

[I own a 30gb Zune, a 1gb Sony, and a 20gb 2g iPod, but have extensively used my brother-in-law's 5.5g 30gb iPod]

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 147
Well, since I travel a lot, I greatly prefer the iPod. The zune is huge. The iPod video (and nano and shuffle) are tiny in comparison. I also prefer the iPod's UI.

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 147
^^ @DBrim. The Zune is huge. jaja. uh..oh...the ifanboys are attacking. LOL. Dude, calm down. And if you travel a lot I hope you got a case for your iPod.

@Zach. good list.

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, since I travel a lot, I greatly prefer the iPod. The zune is huge. The iPod video (and nano and shuffle) are tiny in comparison. I also prefer the iPod's UI.

The ipod is smaller yes, but it feels fragile to me. I wouldnt use one without some sort of case...which increases the size anyway. At least with the zune i dont feel like im gonna break it...

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ @DBrim. The Zune is huge. jaja. uh..oh...the ifanboys are attacking. LOL. Dude, calm down. And if you travel a lot I hope you got a case for your iPod.

@Zach. good list.

Yes, I have a case. The zune is still a lot bigger. And I'm plenty calm, you're the one who took offense to my words. We have different opinions, no need to raise a fuss about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yes, and for what it's worth, I think that both the video iPods and the Zune suffer from the same primary weakness: internal HDs. I want to see an all flash iPod/Zune with the same amount of storage (or more) that we have now. One can dream, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back