ipod users
Dec 31, 2003 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

zool

500+ Head-Fier
Just noticed that my ipod runs very hot while I transfer music through firewire... So much that it effects the LCD display momentary, making it go a bit darker/dimmer in the corners. But this disappears when the unit cools down.

This concerns me though, anyone else notice this, is this normal?

Dec 31, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 40
I've noticed a similar difference with temp changes. Even having it out in hot weather (but out of direct sunlight) seems to have a slight affect on it.

Dec 31, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 40
LOL @ iPodophile
280smile.gif

I think the reason it runs hotter while you transfer music through firewire is probably because the HD is spinning all the time and the iPod is charging at the same time so I suppose quite a bit of heat builds up. I also notice the plastic over the screen gets a kind of rainbow effect on it which then goes away once it cools down. Just make sure it's not in a case or iSkin while you're transferring songs because you should let as much heat escape as possible.

Dec 31, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 40
I get the same problem if the iPod is too cold, that's why I stopped using silicone cases, they kept the iPod very cold and I noticed that around the edges the display was darker. But my iPod never got hot enough to do that while charging/transfering.

Dec 31, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 40
There is another chip in there that does all the firewire work, and it's right below the LCD. Normally that chip is silent, so that is likely what is screwing with the lcd.

edit - In combo with the drive spinning of course.

Dec 31, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 40
Does the same chip handle the usb interface as well? Or is that a different chip. Because that may explain why, as a usb user, I've never had that problem.

Dec 31, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 40
Good question. I somehow doubt it. There s a third unidentified (by me) chip, and TI makes a cardbus (pcmcia) and firewire integrated controller. Such a chip would be PERFECT for the iPod which uses cardbus for the harddrive and firewire as a primary transfer method. USB chips are much smaller to my knowledge, and require a lot less power.

edit - I should explain why it requires a much smaller chip. Firewire is a peer to peer system, each chip is self contained. USB uses a client/server approach, so the resulting chip doesn't do much. This is why USB peripherals are so popular, they're really easy to design and build.

Jan 1, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Frenchman
Firewire is a peer to peer system, each chip is self contained. USB uses a client/server approach, so the resulting chip doesn't do much. This is why USB peripherals are so popular, they're really easy to design and build.

That explains alot of stuff, but, getting a bit of topic, do USB hubs (it plugs into the usb jack and gives me 5 more slots) use the server or client chip? or do they use both?

Jan 1, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 40
I suppose the harddrive gets warmer based on what speed you transfer files in. So If I'm sending in 7mb/sec suppose to whatever usb transfers are, which I know are a great deal slower.. The harddrive is bound to get warmer with firewire transfers.

Jan 1, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 40
haahaha! 7 mbps is all you get? I'm getting like 9 mbps!!
smily_headphones1.gif

This is USB 2.0 not USB 1.1. The iPod doesn't support USB 1. hehehehehehehe
600smile.gif

Not to act smug, but I always knew USB 2.0 is faster!

Jan 1, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by feverish
haahaha! 7 mbps is all you get? I'm getting like 9 mbps!!
smily_headphones1.gif

This is USB 2.0 not USB 1.1. The iPod doesn't support USB 1. hehehehehehehe
600smile.gif

Not to act smug, but I always knew USB 2.0 is faster!

Why I'm only getting 7mb/sec.. I don't know, but firewire is still "suppose" to be faster then usb 2.0.. usb 2.0 can allow speeds up to 480 megabits per second while firewire can allow up to 800 megabits per second.

Maybe it's because it recharges the battery at the same time.

Jan 1, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 40
Wow, ok now I'm getting 13mb/sec and +.. I changed a setting that was obviously slowing down my transfers. I changed "Use Internal Copy Routines" to "Use Windows API Copy Routines"

the largest mp3 file I had was 112mb and since the transfers were too fast.. there wasn't even time to read the numbers, I needed a very large file. It came up to 13 very fast and I think it would have kept rising if the file had been larger
tongue.gif
. The whole transfer was so fast, even with such a large file.

feverish.. I guess your usb 2.0 isn't faster after all, so the last laugh is mine.. haha!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 40
Also I'm glad to say now that I've change the setting to "Windows API Copy Routines" from "Internal Copy Routines" the ipod is much cooler and does not produce as much heat as it did before.

So a warning to all firewire users.. Do not use "Internal Copy Routines".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back