Ipod users vs non-ipod users: How many people do you see everyday with ipods?
Feb 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #31 of 85
Well my parents started out with an Ipod. The first generation I think it was. Not at all into audio it was for audio books. At that time I was totally not into portable audio I got my first just a few months ago
wink.gif
. So maybe I can count as mainstream in this area. My reasoning is that they are obviously not bad for audio but bought it more for it´s functionality. Being mainstream means 1000s of nice apps. I didn´t really find any ipod killer either. MS Zune HD or what it was but it´s not even sold over here and will never take of as a gaming platform I suspect.

Thing is a portable setup doesn´t have to have the best display or audio ever... That is much easier achieved by a much more expensive home setup. So functionality wins. Audio is good enough so you can be quite ignorant to whatever better there may be out there anyway.

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my parents started out with an Ipod. The first generation I think it was. Not at all into audio it was for audio books. At that time I was totally not into portable audio I got my first just a few months ago
wink.gif
. So maybe I can count as mainstream in this area. My reasoning is that they are obviously not bad for audio but bought it more for it´s functionality. Being mainstream means 1000s of nice apps. I didn´t really find any ipod killer either. MS Zune HD or what it was but it´s not even sold over here and will never take of as a gaming platform I suspect.

Thing is a portable setup doesn´t have to have the best display or audio ever... That is much easier achieved by a much more expensive home setup. So functionality wins. Audio is good enough so you can be quite ignorant to whatever better there may be out there anyway.

Just to respond to that, I'm pretty sure the Zune HD has much better graphics capabilities compared to the iPod Touch, but currently there are only 16 games available (IIRC). We'll see what happens in the future.

@Topic
Well, like 95% of the kids in my school that own MP3s own an iPod, a few have Sansa, I've never seen an amp or a decent pair of headphones (I think I saw one pair of Apple in-ear headphones though, which aren't bad). Also, the iPod Classic is the best bang for the buck when it comes to store and price. 160GB for $230 is a pretty awesome deal.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #35 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You ever take into account the fact that Apple never, ever say anything about SQ? No one is brainwashing anyone - not from Apple's camp. Imagine that the other way, people who dismiss Apple iPods because they are from Apple and popular, are brainwashed - that part is true.

Most DAP's use the same or very similar hardware, operate within very similar voltage tolerances, and other than a few SW tweaks, are hardly different. There are different sound flavours, but if you think the iPod is outclassed by any mass market player, the brainwashing has really, really gone in strong.

The fact is that Apple got lucky, they have a popular player. They never brag about SQ, never brainwash anyone. People assume that popularity means something and that mass rule is wrong, but that makes no sense at all. It goes for every single mass produced or micro produced object from any industry.

iPods are no worse than Cowons and in some respects visa versa. The problem is that brain bias says them must, especially when you come to a place which says it is cool to bash iPods, etc.. Even if it was proved that your favourite non-iPod was in fact inferior to the iPod, you wouldn't believe it; if it was proved to be inferior to another non-iPod, I can see that market segment believing it.

Brainwash, friend, goes two ways.

Well my point was that most people who own ipods think its got good SQ. This right there gives them absolutely no credibility what so ever. Until they try other brand DAP and headphones, they have no say in saying Apple is the best. Like I said, you'd be surprised just how many people think Apple is the only brand DAP you can buy. Sad but true. Its just like how they dont even realize that ipods dont come with a real set of headphones, but yet they settle for the garbage cause everyone else is rockin them. Oh its Apple it must be good!!! (sigh). Like I said, its likke buying a car and running it on piece of sh4t tires. waste of money IMO.

The general consumer who wants a DAP, will just go buy an ipod because like I said everyone they know including their godfathers dog has one. These people lack originality.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #36 of 85
^x2 What I think it is is that when people use adjectives like "good" or "great, best, awesome, clean, clear", they are comparing that player with something else.

COMPARE

That means that you have to have another DAP to base it off of, without that you're just throwing words out that that mean technically nothing. People forget this when they write a review or give their opinion on whatever player/headphone they are talking about.

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #37 of 85
Not everyone cares about or even knows how sound quality can vary. I was an ipod user from the release of the ipod mini to my iphone 3gs as my main portable dap until 6 months ago. When i tried a sony S series player my eyes were opened to how much better other brands can sound.

Ipods sound is very cold and recessed with a garbage EQ preset system, it's just how it is. Some people like that and some don't. I like a warmer sound stage thus my sansa clip+ offers that in spades.

Sound quality is all relative to preference, and most peoples preference isn't SQ it's whatever is cool, hip or most colourful.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not everyone cares about or even knows how sound quality can vary. I was an ipod user from the release of the ipod mini to my iphone 3gs as my main portable dap until 6 months ago. When i tried a sony S series player my eyes were opened to how much better other brands can sound.

Ipods sound is very cold and recessed with a garbage EQ preset system, it's just how it is. Some people like that and some don't. I like a warmer sound stage thus my sansa clip+ offers that in spades.

Sound quality is all relative to preference, and most peoples preference isn't SQ it's whatever is cool, hip or most colourful.

Ironically, I find the ipod sound to be a refinement of the Clip's sound. Greater soundstage, and the vocals are a bit more forward to my ears.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #39 of 85
The clip is a bit warmer than the iPod, same with the Fuze, but the the iPod is quite more spacious in channel separation than the clip - quite a bit more.

The thing is and has always been from my first comment: SQ has nothing at all here: people just say what they like.

Sony (I have 3 or 4) is warmer (has added BASS in the EQ), more hiss, better EQ. It isn't better, it is different. If you like non-linear sound, the Sony is probably the best of them right now. That doesn't make it better, it makes it warmer and 'groovier' than Sansa, iPod, cowon, Zune.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojsinnerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ironically, I find the ipod sound to be a refinement of the Clip's sound. Greater soundstage, and the vocals are a bit more forward to my ears.

That doesn't make any sense really, the clip has a warmer sound sig than the ipod. The ipod does have vocals seemingly forward with a slightly wider sound stage but your post in no way shows any irony what i said is accurate and still stands.

As i listen to more hiphop/electronic music on my daps the clip is preferable, high vocals and orchestra music will sound better on an ipod. Listening to hip hop on my ipods makes me want to kick puppies, its horrible.

Yeah shigzeo if sony made a solid clip+ like player with S series sound i would have one, but sadly the size and great sound of the clip+ is perfect for on the go.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #41 of 85
Yes, I love the size of the clip, but I've found even for bicycling, the Sony, an iPod nano (touch is WAAAAAY too big) or a Fuze is pretty good size. The clip is the least fuss of course because I'd not worry about breaking it. But, I think it (and the Fuze) is pretty outclassed by any of my other portables (which don't suffer at the hands of low Ω earphones).

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #43 of 85
Just because it's an iPod doesn't mean it sounds like crap. So what if everyone haves one? Does that effect you in any way? Does it bother you that some idiot thinks that the ibuds are better then a pair of $200 iems? Who cares? I know I don't.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #44 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't make any sense really, the clip has a warmer sound sig than the ipod. The ipod does have vocals seemingly forward with a slightly wider sound stage but your post in no way shows any irony what i said is accurate and still stands.

As i listen to more hiphop/electronic music on my daps the clip is preferable, high vocals and orchestra music will sound better on an ipod. Listening to hip hop on my ipods makes me want to kick puppies, its horrible.

Yeah shigzeo if sony made a solid clip+ like player with S series sound i would have one, but sadly the size and great sound of the clip+ is perfect for on the go.

Oh whoops. I read that wrong. I thought you meant the warmer, and the wider sound of the clip, not warmer sound stage. I'm aware that the ipods do sound "colder", but the sound stage was better, so that's just what I was pointing out.

And as for orchestra music and high vocals, that's probably why I prefer the sound of the ipods then. Majority of the music I have consists of an orchestra or female vocals.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #45 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People are always asking me if it's a battery charger or something. (iBasso T4 hooked to either Nano or Touch, but I sold both of those).

That's what I let them believe/tell them... No sense in confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back