Ipod Touch vs Cowon j3
Jul 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

dreamLRG

Head-Fier
Is the cowon j3s Sound quality that good, for people to buy that over the ipod touch and sacrifice the abundance of apps?

Also how is the ipod touchs Sound quality compared to the cowon j3? Is it that different?

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 52
Cowon topped ipod touch before because it had BBE enhancements/equalizer.

Now they are even as as players, Also there are the Equalizer app and EQu app (best with ipod touch 3G/4G).
and the FLAC flacplayer app.

Now its just a matter of taste.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 52
I was actually wondering the same thing as the OP.

I have an iPod Touch 2G and I'm looking to buy a new MP3 player that can play FLAC files. The Cowon J3 is my top choice right now but I'm wondering if the iTouch really does have a comparable sound to the mighty J3.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 52
Don't use SQ and EQ. I don't know if this is going to help, but i use a Cowon O2 and a iPhone4. Both of them without EQ, both of them with the same amp. Cowon's sound is more superior in my opinion.

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 52

Quote:
I own an Ipod Touch, will be receiving my Cowon J3 tomorrow, will post my impressions and sound quality differences between the two players.

Great! I look forward to reading your impressions.
beyersmile.png

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 52
I've got both right now (4th gen Touch) and if sound quality and tweaking of sound is your priority, then go J3.  If having a "mini computer" is a priority, then go Touch.  It's really that simple.  If you want and can benefit from the games/apps/everything else, then by all means go Touch.  The sound quality is still pretty good...just not nearly as tweakable as the J3.  Sure, everyone will say use EQu or Equalizer apps, but those are kind of a pain because you lose all control with the mic/remote buttons on some headphones, so that's not the answer for me.  The J3 is the best PMP when it comes to sound quality...that's all there is to it.  The Touch is the best mini computer.  :)  All depends where your priorities are.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 52
Here is my impression, it is going back to Amazon tomorrow, not worth it over the ipod touch, sound quality might be slightly better, but for the money the touch gives you so much more, to be quite honest, my smartphone HTC Incredible with the power amp AP gives it a run for its money, and my HTC sound even better connected to my D6, the J3 started to sound funky connected to an external amp, so back it goes.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 52

Quote:
Ah, I see. Thanks for the insight.

It just seems that a lot of people around Head-Fi tend to turn away from the iTouch...although this is an audio community after all.

Well, some like apples, and some like oranges. I find iPod's sound to be excellent, and only bested by the Sony X series.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 52

Quote:
Here is my impression, it is going back to Amazon tomorrow, not worth it over the ipod touch, sound quality might be slightly better, but for the money the touch gives you so much more, to be quite honest, my smartphone HTC Incredible with the power amp AP gives it a run for its money, and my HTC sound even better connected to my D6, the J3 started to sound funky connected to an external amp, so back it goes.

Hm, interesting. I haven't read much about the J3 having problems with external amps; I'm sorry about your experience with the J3. I'll probably still go for the J3 anyhow...or maybe the second generation of the D3 if it comes out next year.

I only really use my iPod Touch for e-mail access and the Pleco Chinese dictionary app outside of listening to music of course, so it's not a deal-breaker for me if I lose those features.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 52
Hm, interesting. I haven't read much about the J3 having problems with external amps; I'm sorry about your experience with the J3. I'll probably still go for the J3 anyhow...or maybe the second generation of the D3 if it comes out next year.

I only really use my iPod Touch for e-mail access and the Pleco Chinese dictionary app outside of listening to music of course, so it's not a deal-breaker for me if I lose those features.

Good luck with ur cowon. I've owned cowon products practically my entire life. Never have i experienced or heard of difficulties of amping cowons.... Anywho enjoy your cowon!

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #15 of 52
Are you using the iPhone with its internal/built-in amp, or are you using a line-out dock connector? I've read that with the line-out dock connector it sounds better since it avoids the iPhone/iPod's internal amp.

Thats true, the line-out improves sound, but i find cowons more superior still. I notice that the iphone has a more significant and earlier bass rolloff as well. I admit this dependson what cowon and what apple you get but itouch and iphone are very similar, or even identical in sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back