iPod Touch Sound Quality is quite bad.
Nov 26, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #31 of 184
Really? It's a touch worse than my Zen Vision:M to me. I intially thought I had the volume too soft on the touch but after numerous trials my Zen's a little better; the upper mids are better defined and the bass has a little more impact.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #33 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my Touch last week. I'm not missing it.

Congratulations.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #35 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amblin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations.
biggrin.gif

Heheh. Honestly, if the sound quality was as good as a Cowon, the device would be the greatest DAP. The UI is great, the device is sexy, but alas, that doesn't leave an excuse for muddy bass and distortion.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #36 of 184
The bass wasn't muddy to me, perhaps a little weak. Didn't get any distortion till I hit the EQ. Goodness that really sucked. EQ on the touch is just unusable. Luckily I don't have a habit of using it.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #37 of 184
Wow that's really sad to hear.

I plan to buy one with my new cute beyond headphone amp. I currently have a regular 40 gb IPod that works great. Have you tried this with any headphone amps? Do you know if it makes a difference in the sound quality for the ITouch?

Maybe I should ask my GF to put this purchase on hold. For the cost, I expect the quality to be above par to the very least.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #39 of 184
can i use a normal headphone on the ipod touch? i know its not doable with the iphone

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #40 of 184
Heard a touch, it was not even close to my old iaudio U2 for sound quality, the gap was immediately audible on my im716. Very surprised some have found it to be acceptable.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #41 of 184
Quote:

The distortion mainly. I only seem to hear it on my Touch and on none of my other DAP's.

have you ran your mp3s thru mp3gain? The distortion you're hearing could be because you have turned on the EQ on the touch. The iPod's EQ is notorious for boosting frequencies to the point of clipping. Try turning off the EQ to see if it eliminates the distortion. If you want to use the EQ, run your mp3s thru mp3gain to adjust their loudness to 89dB, doing this will allow you to turn on the EQ w/out causing distortion.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #42 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i use a normal headphone on the ipod touch? i know its not doable with the iphone

Yes you can, it's not like the iphone. My brother has a ipod touch, though I haven't tested the audio from it. I didn't expect much out of it so didn't bother.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #43 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heard a touch, it was not even close to my old iaudio U2 for sound quality, the gap was immediately audible on my im716. Very surprised some have found it to be acceptable.

People probably don't want to admit that their super expensive device doesn't sound all that great.
Definitely not worth the money.

I'm not trying to troll either. I'm not anti-ipod. I was just really disappointed with the product. If I pay that much money, I expect good sound quality. The Zune's sound quality is a lot nicer.

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #44 of 184
Quote:

So it's just come to my attention that the Touch's sound quality really isn't all that great. Distortion runs rampant, sounds are muddy and run together, and the bass sounds like ****. The bass may be there, but it's not pleasant to listen to. It's usually blurry, and once again, it's usually distorted.
In comparison to my Zune and my D2 (with exact same files/formats/bit rates), it really pales in the sound quality department.

Any other Touch users here sort of regretting their purchase?

I might see if I can palm it off to someone else. Maybe my Dad might want it
rolleyes.gif

I have the same problem with the SQ as Dublo7 has...
I explored many more forums and found the same problem within many Ipod Touch users.
The sound quality of iPod Touch is very-very bad. The cheap china's mp3 players has the SQ more better.
So, now I'm sure that not only my device has the "bad" SQ but all the Apple's iPod Touch devices downgraded in sound quality.
Maybe the cause is the cheap DAC from Cirrus Logic instead of old good from Wolfson Microelectronics...

Have somebody some idea about how to improve the SQ of iPod Touch?
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #45 of 184
anyway, fun topic. if you have trouble with bass, im concerned with what you are listening to normally as my touch with no eq an no mp3 enhancements has more bass response than many players i have tried. it does not have a sweet anything but i think that has more to do with how apple have taken stance on neutrality of music rather than fun ultra sound effects.

funny too that it does very well for comparison sake to sources such as grace 902 and lavry dac. but that is okay, if you just like bulky sounding sources, go ahead. hate apple, i am fine for it - seems the touch performed much better than the wonderful sounding kenwood as well... oh bother

Users who are viewing this thread

Back