iPod Touch Sound Quality is quite bad.
Nov 8, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 184
I also think my touch does pretty well for SQ. Has a little more background noise than I would like, but no worse than what I remember of the 5G. I bought it for some basic PDA functionality and got more than I hoped for, with a very good web browser and decent enough email client, so I would keep it even if it didn't sound all that great. But I do think it sounds at least as good as a 5G iPod.

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #17 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first jailbreak it, then this

EU: How-To: Uncap the volume limit on european iPod Touch models
What you need:

- iPod Touch with Jailbreak "applied"
- a program to edit .plist files (macs come with one or you can use textwrangler)
- Cyberduck (or any other SFTP program)

What to do:

1. Connect to your iPod touch via SFTP
2. copy the following file over to your desktop: /System/Library/Frameworks/Celestial.framework/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist
3. You should see a lot of keys (F, Z, ZD, etc...) with a value of 0.82999999 (or 0.83)
4. Change the value of all keys to "1"
5. Save the file
6. Upload to the original file location on your iPod
7. Power off the iPod (using the red slider) and turn it back on.
8. Enjoy loud music.

It works, it is quite a large hike in volume as well!

I don't see how blowing my ear drums out would make it sound better.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #18 of 184
Why not try and it and see what happens?

Personally, I think the Touch is similar my last iPod - 5G.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how blowing my ear drums out would make it sound better.

Nothing about enabling higher volume makes you use said higher volume.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #22 of 184
Bought it, sold it.

The SQ was fine to my ears ... until an iAudio 7 came in the mail.

I am def a convert ... but I did love all the little trinkets the touch had. Two completely different things, but I was looking mainly for SQ and kept the Cowon.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #23 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the touch has so much more bass resolution than my "excellent" sounding d2 from cowon

I couldn't disagree more.

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 184
I was thinking about what is said about that volume hack. It was said that it could improve SQ.

Well I did the hack, and have to say I notice some minor changes in SQ.

Now I was staring at all those characters and values in my .plist file and was wondering.....

what if thos characters represent fractures of the sound spectrum... you know.. highs, mids lows and everything in between...

I noticed the values weren't all the same... that would mean Apple ''coloured'' the sound of the ipod... assuming those characters do represent fractures of the sound spectrum.... So If you put all values to 1, then you ''uncolour'' the sound, and give it more natural and balanced sound. That is exactly what I noticed after the hack. More natural, fuller and balanced sound. It's minor, so listen carefully... but I noticed it on some rock songs....

So I don't know if my idea is valid or false, but if it is.... then that would mean you could actually adjust the sound of your ipod to your own needs. Like an user adjustable EQ, right?

So I'm planning in testing this this afternoon.... To look if my thoughts are right, or wrong.

Again, it's just a thought I was playing with in my mind. Maybe some developer knows better and can tell me what those characters really stand for?

greetz

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #25 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't disagree more.

well, as i said earlier i listen to trance, the faster the better. the d2 gets very confused and has no depth to the bass. it is all just booms, though not out of control booms. the touch however handles those tracks with finesse.

the d2 is not bad, but... i do not find it nearly what i had hoped. without eq it is rubbish but the ipod without eq is very very good: controlled, solid and not going out on either end of the spectrum while maintaining a good soundstage.

i have not tested how well it extends in either low or high frequencies but i came across a page that did and it fared very well against not only other daps but other high end dacs. it handily beat the kenwood that is raved about here for noise threshold etc.

the d2 has slightly better performing s/n ratio but only slightly. cowon has notably not been good at performance when it comes to that. i will probably take measurements with the two players in the next few days just to see. if the d2 actually extends further i would be very surprised... i think it is just weighted in the trebles.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #26 of 184
Quote:

but the counter-sunk headphone jack is a beast to work with

Er - yeah. NONE of my headphones or earphones except the supplied iBuds fit into the slot on my iPhone either, and the Cotton Dock doesn't work...

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #28 of 184
^ it's a conspiracy with belkin and other accessory manufacturers to boost accessory sales/attatchement rate.

Or, they're just idiots.

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #29 of 184
the explanations i have heard that seem to actually have some merit:
-recessing the jack takes some of the stress off the jack. if the headphones are pulled sideways, the case and the plug can take more of the stress
-the curve of the device would not have allowed for the headphone jack to be flush to the outside, they would have needed to make a bump-out to accommodate. they chose form over function - pretty for the general public, a bit of a nuisance for the power-user.

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 184
I also have been saying the ITouch is damn good sounding and the new update due out shortly, version 1.1.2(around if you look good), even improves the sound more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back