iPod Touch or Zune HD?
Sep 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

DeusEx

Headphoneus Supremus
So after a couple months with my Samsung YP-P3, I'm disappointed in the overall interface of the Samsung (the sound is great). The GUI is generally not greatly responsive, and has delays at times (I'm spoiled by my iPhone) and it seems like Samsung has pretty much stopped firmware support for it (really few and delayed). I'm moving on and looking for another flash-based media player, preferably in the ~32GB zone (or anything under $300) and the iPod Touch and the Zune HD are pretty much on top of my list. I've never owned an iPod (
eek.gif
) or a Zune (
rolleyes.gif
), having had several Samsung and Sansa DAPs. I want a web browser/wifi support, since my Samsung will function as my main music player (it does sound very good, an A-B with a Cowon S9 was very similar). So that pretty much means the Touch and the Zune HD. They're both very similarly priced. FYI, I actually bought an iPhone, but returned it due to overheating problems, and I may get another iPhone in a month or two.

On another note, I heard that iPods don't sound great, so I don't know if that's just a rumor, or not. Also, which has a better interface in terms of performance/looks - the iPod Touch or the Zune HD? I know the iPod has a much vaster app store than the Zune, but if the Zune is overall a better player in terms of everything but apps...

My music collection is primarily high-bitrate Mp3 (320 kbps) and FLAC. I'll be using my SE530 and a JH13 (very soon) with the player, unamped (portability issue).

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 55
Quote:

On another note, I heard that iPods don't sound great, so I don't know if that's just a rumor, or not. Also, which has a better interface in terms of performance/looks - the iPod Touch or the Zune HD?

Quote:

My music collection is primarily high-bitrate Mp3 (320 kbps) and FLAC. I'll be using a SE530 and a JH13 (very soon) with the player, unamped (portability issue).

Zune HD

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 55
To my ears i would say that Zunes beat Ipods in terms of SQ especially unamped. As it is possible to get line out of ipods, when using an amp i am sure that ipods sound better. Though i have never heard an ipod using an LOD, but i assume beats Zunes head phone out when amped.

As far as the web browser goes, as much as the fanboy in me hates to admit it the ipod touch is easier to use. The keyboard is bigger and the dimensions of the screen make viewing websites a little easier. But that being said i have huge hands and can still use the browser on my Zunehd without too much trouble, and i regularly use the Zunehd to check myspace, facebook and this website.

My final point is the UI, the Zunehd has an amazing UI, which is a little tricky at first but once you master it is really intutive and allows you to easily navigate your library. I love the pins feature where you can pin your favorite albums or videos to the front page. Also the history feature is really nifty it keeps track of the last couple of things you used on the zune. Whether it is songs, videos, radio stations or even websites.

If you have any specific questions about the Zunehd i would be glad to answer them for you...

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 55
For music, I would suggest the Zune HD. I also have the Touch (2nd gen) and the sound quality (unamped) is definitely better on the Zune HD (I'm also using the Shure SE530). For other purposes such as web browsing, viewing photos, storing contacts, and calendar, I use the Touch.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 55
So iPods don't sound great unamped direct from 3.5mm jack? What if I was considering down the road to get a LOD-amp setup? (you never know what will happen down the road...) Would that change things drastically?

Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My final point is the UI, the Zunehd has an amazing UI, which is a little tricky at first but once you master it is really intutive and allows you to easily navigate your library. I love the pins feature where you can pin your favorite albums or videos to the front page. Also the history feature is really nifty it keeps track of the last couple of things you used on the zune. Whether it is songs, videos, radio stations or even websites.

Is the interface more fluid than the Touch? I saw in reviews that the Zune HD tended to zoom in too much, and didn't present the overall picture when viewing files..

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So iPods don't sound great unamped direct from 3.5mm jack? What if I was considering down the road to get a LOD-amp setup? (you never know what will happen down the road...) Would that change things drastically?

Is the interface more fluid than the Touch? I saw in reviews that the Zune HD tended to zoom in too much, and didn't present the overall picture when viewing files..

Well from what i understand of the process, the LOD-amp setup is really amazing depending on what amp you choose to get. The only reason i didn't follow that route, was the size issue and the fact i would be spending more on the lod and amp than the dap.

i have found the zune UI to be much more fluid than the Touch...things seem to flow...it easy to do everything. As far as the zoom thing i haven't had a problem with it zooming into much. Actually i like the way it zooms. But i think i can understand the point about not seeing the full picture, the way websites are presented is not as well as the ipod touch.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 55
If you're used to the iPhone interface, at this point in time there's going to be very few, next to nothing that'll compare to it in terms of interface fluidity. And if you've got the iPhone, the iPod touch sounds very similar, if not identical to it. It should feel very much like obtaining a second iPhone.

So the answer will be clear if you give the iPhone a good listen, and ask yourself if you feel you need something with better sound. And also ask yourself if you're happy with the need to go thorugh iTunes, use Apple Lossless and not having boomtastic EQ features.

I've played with the P3 over 20 times, and I think the interface isn't that bad. It's a good sacrifice to make (from the iPhone combination of touch screen/GUI) if the sound works for you.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 55
In terms of SQ I may not comment on the Zune since I have never heard one.

I have always disliked apple products mainly because of their marketing positioning which favors glamour while my life style is value for money.

But the ipod (and the iphone for that matter) are exquisite products in all respects. The ipod is a complete fun factory, which may entertain as nothing else on this planet.

Video quality is tops, SQ is excellent to my ears, internet connectivity, games, palmtop capabilities...you name it.

Even if it gets beaten on strictly the SQ factor by the Zune (which I have to see for myself to believe) there is no comparison as a whole concept.-

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 55
Get the Zune if you:

1) Love eye candy interfaces - the UI on the zune IMHO trumps the Touch experience and any other PMP interface. It makes me go "wow".
2) Love the Zune PC Client - you can ONLY use the Zune PC client to manage your music, videos, etc. - test it out before hand and see for yourself if this is for you at Download Zune software | Zune.net
3) Love music and videos - if you love music and discovering new music, the zune pass is a no brainer to have. The OLED screen along with the optional HD dock make it one of the most versatile and enjoyable video experiences one can have with a PMP.

Get the Touch if you:

1) Love the Touch browser - the mobile safari browser is better than the Zune browser in speed (32gb/64gb) and usability (tabs, zooming, etc.).
2) Love APPS APPS APPS - 75k apps compared to 9 apps currently. Microsoft's aim is for entertainment and not the applications. If you need the apps, then it's a no brainer choice IMO at least for now.
3) Love iPod's market share advantage - you can buy so many different accessories with the iPod compared to other PMP's...cases, docks, car adapters etc. Currently, I'm having a hard time just finding a case I like and can buy for my zune...

Get the Other PMP if you:

1) Love excellent sound quality - *UNAMPED*, the zune and touch IMHO don't meet the sq of Sony (by far the best), Cowon (never heard personally but from reputation only), Sansa (love my little Clip), and Iriver (love my 6 year old IHP-100). The zune hd is closer compared to the Touch however.
2) Love explorer - no need to install any extra software to use your players to manage your collection.
3) Love FLAC & OGG - unfortunately neither zune or touch provide support for these codecs yet.

Just prioritize your needs and your choice will be clear to you.

Sep 29, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always disliked apple products mainly because of their marketing positioning which favors glamour while my life style is value for money.

But the ipod (and the iphone for that matter) are exquisite products in all respects.

Yep, the **ipod touch** is just an unbeatable combination of factors in so many ways, it's in fact very good value considering the possibilities, and there's the fact that while being so versatile as a PDA, it sacrifices surprisingly little in music features and SQ. So I tend to consider it separately from the other apple products currently sold.

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the **ipod touch** is just an unbeatable combination of factors in so many ways, it's in fact very good value considering the possibilities, and there's the fact that while being so versatile as a PDA, it sacrifices surprisingly little in music features and SQ. So I tend to consider it separately from the other apple products currently sold.

Last night I used handbrake for the first time to convert David Gilmour's "A night to remember" for the iPod.
The 2 hours that followed watching this were a fantastic experience which I crave reviving today and tomorrow and then again!

I feel really excited. A whole new meaning marks my definition of portable entertainement...
wink_face.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 55
you said that you have sansa daps and if you have a sansa fuze,the zune will sound exactly the same but with better bass than that plasticky one on the fuze.i have the zune120 and the zune HD should sound the same so its up to if you want to have diff. sound signature than your sansas.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 55
Thanks for the responses. I actually had an older Sansa (not the Fuze), that isn't as good as the Fuze (from what I've heard, and auditioned). Also, can the Zune HD or Touch play .AVI natively? And what's the max resolution they can read? I really don't want to spend time converting my non-HD vids, which are mostly in .avi (since my HD collection won't bode well with a 3" screen...)

The Samsung P3's interface indeed isn't bad, (and the audio probably is better than both Zune or iPod), but ever since I used an iPhone, the P3 has gotten worse and worse. What's the final straw is the 2-sec delay after selecting something on the screen. It's really irksome (as well as audio flickering during scrolling), and I don't want change my pace and overall mood just for some better sound..(I know that sounded weird, but the slow reaction of the P3 interface really irritates me at times..)

I actually thought the 3GS was pretty good, nearly as good as my P3. At times, I couldn't even tell the difference (especially with 320kbps mp3 tracks as opposed to FLAC). Is the Touch really similar?

I'm probably not going amped (mainly due to portability, not budget...I mean, a LOD and an amp/dac pretty much triples the mass of the entire setup...do people really bring their LOD/Amp/DACs with them on a jog, the gym, or even walking around?)...

What I think I might do is get both, and try both 32GB versions out (testing only factors of interface peformance, sound quality, video playback, and browser speed). Does anyone know if Amazon's 3-day return policy applies to opened electronics? Would it really be stupid to own both?....

The thing is, both the SE530 and the JH13 are generally neutral-sounding...I guess I have to take that into account too...

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 55
Neither the Zunehd or the ipod play avi natively...so conversion is a necessary evil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back