ipod touch is good..
Mar 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #31 of 50
Heh....first of all, I'm not windows fan boy, although i like playing games and having opportunity to use almost any software available, I'm just hardware geek and like to spend less to achieve much more. And for the ipod thing, for me, it's the best overall player in the world for many things. I asked for the touch sq because I've heard from allot folks that it sound worst than my 5g. I don't need a portable 5k Denon cd player, just clean sound as possible.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #32 of 50
clean also is important yeah, but what do you mean by clean? i had the d2 which had less hiss and higher s/n ratio when from the head out to a machine but those numbers fell disastrously when driving phones.

the touch keeps numbers better when driving phones but i don't think it performs any better than any other player other than doing a little better in the bass (at 25hz it still gets about 3db higher than any other player i have tested other than the sony and ipod shuffle).

it sounds good, but so do many others. i love it and many hate it. i imagine that if it were not an apple product, people would rave about everything especially sq.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
clean also is important yeah, but what do you mean by clean? i had the d2 which had less hiss and higher s/n ratio when from the head out to a machine but those numbers fell disastrously when driving phones.

the touch keeps numbers better when driving phones but i don't think it performs any better than any other player other than doing a little better in the bass (at 25hz it still gets about 3db higher than any other player i have tested other than the sony and ipod shuffle).

it sounds good, but so do many others. i love it and many hate it. i imagine that if it were not an apple product, people would rave about everything especially sq.

I could tell you why most people have doubts in Ipod sq but i'm not here to argument about apple. For clean sound i meant good enough to be able to benefit with good cans. My 5g is sq acceptable and the only thing that bothers me is the distortion in higher volume. Not that i play my music loud all the time, but with less efficient cans i have to crank the volume up and it doesn't sound good. Anyway thanks for the comment. I'll probably take 32gb touch and see for myself is it good enough for me, but from what you and the rest guys says here i think it is. After all, i do believe more to headfiers than the other folks on the net that probably don't have any idea how things supposed to sound.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh....first of all, I'm not windows fan boy, although i like playing games and having opportunity to use almost any software available, I'm just hardware geek and like to spend less to achieve much more. And for the ipod thing, for me, it's the best overall player in the world for many things. I asked for the touch sq because I've heard from allot folks that it sound worst than my 5g. I don't need a portable 5k Denon cd player, just clean sound as possible.

Another computer geek, long time Windows user, Apple eco-system fan. Increasingly I like to spend less time tinkering constantly. Call time more valuable than a few bucks. I'll toss that out as you snuck in a few computer comments.

As for SQ, I went from a 5G to Touch. I've never figured out the bashing the Touch got here as it's similar to the 5G. Similar in problems (hiss with some IEMs, flatish sound) and similar in strengths (more power than many DAPs for full-sized cans, line-out to amp, etc.). The differences are far less from 5G to Touch than 1G to 5G. I wouldn't worry about making the switch, but then again I wouldn't encourage you either, based solely on SQ. Obviously the Touch isn't a high price/performance machine based on it's music playback properties only. Course its other uses are... if you use them. The brief glimpse we've so far gotten on the SDK, shows that may expand greatly.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another computer geek, long time Windows user, Apple eco-system fan. Increasingly I like to spend less time tinkering constantly. Call time more valuable than a few bucks. I'll toss that out as you snuck in a few computer comments.

As for SQ, I went from a 5G to Touch. I've never figured out the bashing the Touch got here as it's similar to the 5G. Similar in problems (hiss with some IEMs, flatish sound) and similar in strengths (more power than many DAPs for full-sized cans, line-out to amp, etc.). The differences are far less from 5G to Touch than 1G to 5G. I wouldn't worry about making the switch, but then again I wouldn't encourage you either, based solely on SQ. Obviously the Touch isn't a high price/performance machine based on it's music playback properties only. Course its other uses are... if you use them. The brief glimpse we've so far gotten on the SDK, shows that may expand greatly.

Again....not windows fan boy, hardware fanboy. On my computer I got Mac OS, Linux and windows for different purposes, and thats my last word on computers here
biggrin.gif
sorry to all if offended.
I'm glad that the differences are not that huge as others apart from headfi are told me. And i do planing to use all the features. Thats why i like it so much. So, can't wait to join the other touch users
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #37 of 50
Okay same here. Until recently ran OS X, XP and Ubuntu on my MacBook. Software fanboy. Or maybe tool to get things done fanboy.
wink.gif

Anyway, I assume you've seen the SDK announcement. Some typical Apple hype, but worth a watch to see a glimpse of the Touch/iPhone potential (not to mention the $100 million "seed"). There's an interesting debate going on over background processes, but otherwise color me impressed. I'm not a gamer, but even watching Spore (46 minutes in) is a tad exciting.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #38 of 50
Hmm, i missed that. Will watch tonight. With that hardware and software potential of iphone/touch, i sure hope they make some cool stuff. That multi touch interface is fascinating.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #44 of 50
I returned two (2) of the Touches...a 8GB and a 16GB model due to the hiss. Has there been any improvement in the reducing the hiss? I would love to use this player, but the hiss gave me a headache.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #45 of 50
Hi, my name is Jon, and I've been using my iPod touch for 5 days.

I try to be as objective as possible when playing with the touch. In my eyes, Apple's always gotten an unnecessarily bad rap just because of the chips on peoples' shoulders. I don't mind the iPod so much, and I actually prefer it to the few players I've used. More specifically, when I tried justifying the place of the touch in my repertoire of carry-along accessories, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere in my list of needs. To set the record straight, you absolutely cannot dismiss the multi-touch screen, the slimness, the jailbreakability, or the cool factor of having the newest toy in town. Surely, there are lots of downsides to owning an iPod, and let me list a few: handcuffed to iTunes, people splashing red paint all over you, getting robbed, breaking the bank just buying the darn thing, the list goes on.

As FallenAngel mentioned, the sound quality should be quite similar to the iPod video as they share the same Wolfson DAC chip. Discounting the touch's sound quality means you're cutting down the iMod 5G/5.5G and diyMod 5G/5.5G (as well as all the other different name, similar technique mods) reviews, which is quite a large and loud crowd. Once I figure out how to diyMod the thing, I'll report on the sound quality. Thus far, I compared it to my diyMod 4G which has a difference Wolfson chip and bass is much less weighty in the touch. It actually disgusted me how little bass it was putting out, and I currently haven't uploaded any music onto it since.

As a video player, it is probably only rivalled by the Zune [and Archos players], which can accept something other than MPEG4/H.264 and also ha[ve] quite large screen. I encoded some Scrubs using Videora (lowest quality setting for fastest processing) and the experience is almost better than on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A100 if you care, the lowest of all Toshiba models). If I can figure out how to use spreadsheets on the thing, it will become my dedicated gym device. Right now, I have an iPod in one pocket and my Palm Treo 680 in the other for purposes of recording my workout routine data. Things would be a lot easier if I could throw it all onto one device. My last workout, I tried going with the iPod touch, diyMod 4G, and Treo 680. It didn't really "work out" as I had planned. (A pun. Bonus!)

Earlier, I mentioned slimness as a positive, but I've quickly learned the other side of that double-edged sword. My hand can cramp up just holding it, and I think it can be way too thin at times. I prefer holding my friend's jailbroken+unlocked iPhone, as it is a bit heftier and easier to hold. My Treo has one of the best weights, dimensions, and tactile experiences of any device I've held so far. I didn't like holding the iPhone as much as I like holding my 680, but admittedly, it has a lot to live up to. Just saying, whether with human bodies or iPod shells, thin isn't always good.

Jailbreaking. In three words, "useless to me." The stock iPod touch doesn't have much going for it by way of apps, but jailbreaking doesn't much alleviate that. I don't find any use for any of the things I downloaded. Sure, you get NES and SNES, but it's really lame playing them. Not my cup of tea. Perhaps I haven't found the good stuff yet, but what do I really need besides some sort of MS Excel/Open Excel spreadsheet program?

To wrap things up, the iPod touch isn't really useful to me except as a gym device. Even if I diyMod it, I don't have any room for music and videos. Currently, the device for me is the iPod video 5G/5.5G. I'll eventually sell the touch to get it. In the mean time, I'm going to keep trying to diyMod it and see if someone wants to buy a torn up iPod touch from a reckless DIYer.
wink.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back