Ipod thefts finally came to the big city
Feb 15, 2005 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

BlindTiger

1000+ Head-Fier
I knew Ipod thefts happened in college towns but now it's reached NYC.
I've warned people about it before christmas when people were showing off their pod minis. oh, it mentions their white earphones.
IPODDY-POOPER THUGS ATTACKING SCHOOLKIDS
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/40604.htm
"City students have become victims of a rash of vicious iPod muggings and a spike in larcenies at schools.

One South Brooklyn transit officer, who asked not to be identified, said his district has seen a near doubling of student iPod robberies on the subways in recent months. "

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 38
Someone should sell an ipod taser mod.

Plug it in the dock, and when you hand it over.... ZAAAAAP.

Though I guess you're screwed if you've been listening for some time and are low on juice
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

The machines start at $299 and can hold more than 10,000 songs — a collection that can take years to accumulate.

Obviously has never heard of P2P.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 38
It didn't happen earlier due to the digital divide.
if this is off topic, mods, please delete. thank you.

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 38
Black paint + ugly worn out case = safe ipod. Just don't flaunt it damnit.

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
Stop wearing the iBuds and keep the player in your pocket.

Exactly.

Walking around NYC these days, it's clear that the iPod is now ubiquitous, and white earbuds the standard. Commuters of all sorts often brandish their iPods & Mini's by carrying them externally in their hands. And even if the DAPs are in their pockets, the white earbuds & cord are a dead giveaway. I am constantly thinking that if anyone had the inclination, these people are ripe for the plucking.

Thank goodness my Ety's & Sportapros are so darn ugly
wink.gif
!

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 38
If somebody attempt to take my Nitrus, I will have to thwart their attempt.

The ipod density walking around in the city is rather high. I'm not sure I want to keep ER6is as I maybe upgrading not that they're white
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

The machines start at $299 and can hold more than 10,000 songs — a collection that can take years to accumulate.

Or days.
confused.gif

Anyway I'd be far more worried about pickpockets than muggers. I have a little pocket on my backpack straps that I keep my mp3 player in. Wallet goes in the front pocket or vest pocket. Seems pretty easy to prevent most theives.

I have a rather unusual personal philosphy in that I, unlike many people, am perfectly willing to fight for my possesions. I would have no problems risking injury or death to keep my wallet, keys, mp3 player, or even a 5 dollar bill.

I've never been mugged though. I suppose someone as physically imposing as me can afford to have that type of philosophy.

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 38
I'm lucky I live in a small town. I'm always forgetting my ipod on my front seat. Three times last week (unlocked car, too) Lucky it hasn't walked.

Feb 16, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 38
My flip case for my iPod is an uncommon brand that resembles a cell phone case. I've never heard of a mugger stealing a cheap-looking cell phone before.
icon10.gif

Since I've been forced to sell the shures, my next set of phones will be considerably uglier... Future Sonics EM3, how your wonderful ugly beige color will be at theft deterrence!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Since I've been forced to sell the shures...

Uh, didn't a bunch of members here collectively send you money after you openly cried the blues on this forum, complaining your previous pair were stolen? And you ended up selling them off for cash???

No good deed goes unpunished, or something like that
rolleyes.gif
. Lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back