iPod still undisputed?
Aug 3, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #63 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
lol. i don't know why you folks are arguing over which dap is better. each of us have different needs. for example, i keep my iriver-100 in my backpack so size is not a major consideration for me. i also use it as a portable hard disk, so the creative zen is not useful to me. there is no 'undisputed best' dap around. some daps just do certain things better than others. different folks, different strokes.
wink.gif

I agree totally!

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #64 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger
I would rather lose a remote than the whole kit and kaboodle.

I agree, that is why the Cown M3 would not suit me. If I lose (or damage) the remote, I would bearly be able to operate the whole kit and kaboodle until I got a replacement one.

It's funny how discussions on the iPod and the best DAP can lead to arguements on how to put the player in your pocket and whether you should wear your remote or not when not listening to music!

lambda.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
I might not have held Karma in my hands, but I know what a jog dial is. One ring (touch wheel) rules them all - it's one of those inventions that make you wonder why you haven't thought of them.

I would love to see something cheaper than IPod and just as good show up, as it would drive prices down. However, so far it looks like investing in user interface research and design rather than just technology is paying off handsomely.

It's true though that the iPod momentum is maintained by it becoming a cult icon, showing up on TV shows and movies and being showed off by celebrities. Another proof that technology only plays a small part in determining success. Kudos to Apple marketing.

Not to insult anyone, but I think that what gets forgotten in this forum is what the iPod is designed for. You guys all cart around amps, $500 headphones, portable DACs and all kinds of stuff in specially made bags, etc. You note that the iPod doesn't have a line out and can't play gapless and certain file formats. Fair enough. But that is not what 99% of people want to do. They want their music to be portable, in their pocket and easy to use. It is a well designed device that is small, lightweight and easy to use. It may not be the best thing for someone looking to get the best possible sound when they are away from home, but I can see why many people prefer it.

Of course Apple has positioned themselves as a hip "design" company ever since the iMac came out, but iPod's success is not purely marketing. It does what it is supposed to do very well. It is designed with an "On-the-go" philosophy not a "Portable audiophile" philosophy. So I think that when people talk about the best DAP, we shouldn't talk about the best player period, and fight about whether Karma or iPod or iRiver or whatever is better, we should talk about what is the best for a certain application.

For a "no muss, no fuss" DAP, I would say I prefer the iPod.

For people looking for the best possible sound away from home, there may be better alternatives.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #66 of 69
The thing is that you are posting in an audiophile forum not in a on-the-go music forum.

Its pretty simple, i know tons of forums that only talk about design, ease of use and those things. They even dont mention sound as an option.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by VanTheMan
The thing is that you are posting in an audiophile forum not in a on-the-go music forum.

Its pretty simple, i know tons of forums that only talk about design, ease of use and those things. They even dont mention sound as an option.

smily_headphones1.gif

This is the "Portable Audio" forum, right?
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #69 of 69
Yes, in a suposed audiophile forum.

And im not saying you dont have a point about iPod, im only saying that sound is very important, and i dont know you but i prefer sound over looks
smily_headphones1.gif

Also i think like others each dap is different from others
smily_headphones1.gif
I search sound quality the most
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back