iPod still undisputed?
Jul 30, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
Speaking from an Ipod Mini vs iRiver iHP120 standpoint, the iriver has better soundquality, & more "in-depth" settings that you can control. Build quality is almost a draw... the ipod mini is a work of art with the solid aluminum body, but the iriver isnt cheaply made by any means, it is solid as a rock. The iriver is obviously heavier, the mini has an easier to use interface for selecting songs, but the iriver interface is a bit better when you get used to it.

ipod undisputed? Marketing is the big reason why people think it's #1. And pre-gen4, they were barely worth their $$ compared to other players.

I own and use the Karma, iRiver, 3G iPod and the 4G iPod. The 4G iPod's L/O beats the sound quality for the other 3, IMO. As someone who's worked with audio professionally for decades, I get paid to know the difference. I like the Karma and the iRiver for what they offer that the iPods don't; it's just not equal sound quality that I'm after when I use the Karma and the iRiver. Two fine products; I'd buy them again, but L/O from 4G iPods, given equal source quality, is superior. In my line of work, I almost never see sound engineers, musicians, DJs, etc., using anything but iPods for personal and/or professional use, whether they own Macs or not. Some, I'm sure, use and own iPods for reasons other than the iPod's superior sound quality, some probably own iPods because Apple makes 'em; the vast majority of those in my business who own iPods fall into two categories: artistic fit/sound an UI; sound, sound, sound. Predictably, musicians/DJs go for the latter, but in all the conversations I've had with folks who use portable audio, whether personally, professionally, or both, those who are using iPods want to stay with them, despite what they have long known to be its shortcomings, because they need/want the relatively 'flat', uncolored sound quality. Those who don't use iPods are planning on obtaining one. The iPod's marketing blitz will take its sales a LOT farther with Joe Consumer than it can with most of the folks with whom I work; folks who tend to be preternaturally focussed on getting the best sound they can. Many, in fact, are annoyed they've got to go to Apple for the iPod- they can't stand the company, but use their iPods 24/7.

Also, I doubt that owning and using a product makes its quality relative to other products any 'better', just because you happen to own it.
wink.gif

Marketing has never had anything to do with actual quality, with any product.

You may be convinced that iRiver and Karma offer better sound, but that's a point you'll argue going uphill. Steeply uphill.
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 69
I thought the iRiver iHP-120 and Rio Karma were widely considered better sounding than the 3G iPod. Wonder how the iHP-320 and the forthcoming Rio Karma 2 will compare to 4G iPod. I think those are the players you should compare because they represent the same "generation" players on the fairly new DAP market.

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 69
hmmm... sound quality... the 3g ipod is crushed by my dap... havent had a chance to test out the 4g ipod, bu I would expect similar results... the fact that the av320 can power my k271s well is saying something I think...

functionality... I think mine wins there as well... the ipod can do a few things that it cant, but can it play movies? didnt think so
very_evil_smiley.gif

durability... well, archos has a bad name for this, but I've never had any problems... I think that this is only an issue with their older models...

but you left out one category... size... ipod whoops my ass to the other side of the earth on this one... I think if you do a size/weight comparison you will see what I mean
redface.gif

oh... and even though I like my av320 better... I still wouldnt mind having an ipod... lol, and one of those shiney daps with no screen [cant think of the name jsut now]

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
oh... and even though I like my av320 better... I still wouldnt mind having an ipod... lol, and one of those shiney daps with no screen [cant think of the name jsut now]

You mean iAudio. I wouldn't mind having one of each DAP on market either. Big boys love their little toys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
hmmm... sound quality... the 3g ipod is crushed by my dap... havent had a chance to test out the 4g ipod, bu I would expect similar results... the fact that the av320 can power my k271s well is saying something I think...

functionality... I think mine wins there as well... the ipod can do a few things that it cant, but can it play movies? didnt think so
very_evil_smiley.gif

durability... well, archos has a bad name for this, but I've never had any problems... I think that this is only an issue with their older models...

but you left out one category... size... ipod whoops my ass to the other side of the earth on this one... I think if you do a size/weight comparison you will see what I mean
redface.gif

There's a big distinction between sound quality and signal strength. A clean, flat signal, like that of the L/O from a 3G/4G iPod, makes amp'ing worthwhile, and would ultimately supply a cleaner signal to those k271s, for example. If it's sound quality, 3G/4G iPod's got better quality, hands down. If it's raw output signal strength, yeah, the av320 has that- at that size, it had better. But if the quality's not there, (and it's not), the fact that it'll power the S.S. Nimitz doesn't have the same... resonance...
biggrin.gif

If your criteria for 'functionality' is playing movies, I doubt sound quality's your primary concern.

You like your av320 better. Why claim it does things it doesn't, when it clearly does many other things well? It just so happens that it's not tops in sound quality... video output, maybe...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #22 of 69
I've used the iPod before. I didn't really like how everything was organized...
As well I never had a use for any of the "extra" features.
Forget the calender, alarm, event reminder, note reader, games, etc. I already have all those extra features on my cell phone ^^ (which I always carry around with me)

iPod sells the most. That's for sure. And the more they sell, the more money they have to improve the iPod with. Not that they will just cause they have the money to do so, but they could. And if they ever get any serious "mass consumer" competition, they could always just draw out their huge reserves to top some features.

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by fluteloop
Preach. when i am playing with mine at college people are like "is that an ipod?" then I give them a blank stare, and they say "an ipod type mp3 thing?"

followed by a slight grin... "Its an iriver".. "An iriver, I've never heard of them"
"thats because you are'nt 1337"...

then i tell them ipods are fashion accessories. they dont like that much. especially the people who have them. imo

I own and use the iRiver, Karma, and the 3g and 4G iPods and I'm eagerly awaiting the Karma 2... 'fashion accessories' have better sound quality than an iRiver.... hmmmm. I'll take that. The iRiver seems to be a fashion accessory if you are wearing a plastic motocross chestplate, or if you mount it on a BMX bike. It's a good thing it works as well as it does, 'cause it looks like it was designed by Korean Team Ugly Stick...
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #29 of 69
That's not true iriver easily fits in a pocket and even the Dell DJ fits pretty easily in a pocket unless you like ass hugging jeans

Jul 31, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #30 of 69
I had Dell DJ and recently bought 3G-30GB Ipod. I was going to get the used Iriver IHP-120 but I got the offer for the 30GB Ipod as the lower price than 20GB Iriver and I can afford only one player so I simply went for Ipod. So far I think it sounds really good with my ER4S (no amp). The sound is balance and warm. I never try Rio Karma or Iriver though but I am totally satisfied with the sound quality of the Ipod. Some people said IHP-120 sounds good but some said the opposite. But most people seems to praise the Karma's sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back