iPod still undisputed?
Jul 29, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 69
I don't think it's ever been the undisputed
biggrin.gif

In terms of the disputed best, I'm sure it is
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 69
undisputed? not even close. there are better HD players in all the above categories...but the iPod does have a lot in its favor - best music management-software combo with itunes, cool factor, lots of 3rd party devices, etc. it does sound good and i really like mine, but there are a lot here who will disagree that it's the "undisputed" best...

Jul 29, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 69
Interesting, I haven't really been keeping up. Just going by word of mouth, it seems as if you mention a portable music player these days the only thing anyone suggests to buy is an iPod.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 69
That's because ipod marketing is everywhere. Most people know of only the ipod in the realm of HDD players. Kind of like Bose, except the ipod is actually a good player for the money (as opposed to bose equipment, which are, to many, overpriced and sub-par). You don't see a lot of marketing (if any) for rio, creative, or iriver, just to name a few. All these players have their ups and downs, it really depends on the user's preference, etc. I don't think there will ever be an "undisputed king". That is, of course, until Bose decides to make a HDD player . . .
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 69
do a random mass poll on the streets about what players have 20 or more gigs of storage space. Chances are, more than 90% of the people will say iPod, and only iPod.

Undisputed, no. As said before, the iPod has it's place on the board. It just seems to be more sexually appeasing than the other players for some fetish-related reason or other. ^^

Jul 30, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Osaire
In terms of sound quality, functionality and durability, in a HD-based or solid state player?

(HD-based):

In 2 out of the 3 categories: Yes. No clue about the 3rd one. Maybe a 2nd category can be dropped even, if with functionality you mean the number of functions on the unit. If you mean useability (which of course you didn't write), this category is back on again...
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 69
Quote:

do a random mass poll on the streets about what players have 20 or more gigs of storage space. Chances are, more than 90% of the people will say iPod, and only iPod.

Of course, that would measure the knowledge of the masses, not the quality of the DAP.
Quote:

In 2 out of the 3 categories: Yes.

I dispute that. Many consider the Karma and the Creative players provide better sound quality and I personally prefer the Karma UI, as do others.

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 69
Alick, do you have a Rio Karma? I like it, but from what I have read, the screen is really easy to scratch and the unit comes with no case or remote. On top of that, there is not way to purchase either of the items. The only other candidate I have besides the iPod is the iRiver iHP-120 which looks very promising, but almost overkill for what I need. I don't anticipate recording anything and I never listen to FM radio, it really sucks in my area.

-Kyle

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 69
Speaking from an Ipod Mini vs iRiver iHP120 standpoint, the iriver has better soundquality, & more "in-depth" settings that you can control. Build quality is almost a draw... the ipod mini is a work of art with the solid aluminum body, but the iriver isnt cheaply made by any means, it is solid as a rock. The iriver is obviously heavier, the mini has an easier to use interface for selecting songs, but the iriver interface is a bit better when you get used to it.

ipod undisputed? Marketing is the big reason why people think it's #1. And pre-gen4, they were barely worth their $$ compared to other players.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 69
Quote:

Alick, do you have a Rio Karma?

Yes - I've had it since February and it's great. The screen might scratch easily, but I use custom screen protectors from www.protectyourkarma.us which are neat, cheap and durable. The Karma fits snugly into any Gameboy care but www.mindknob.com do a very reasonably priced custom Karma case which I'll buy at some point. There is no remote as yet alas. If gapless playback is as important to you as it is to me, the Karma is the only DAP which currently does gapless properly AFAIAA. The one extra that I value above all with the Karma is the support of the www.riovolutions.com forums which are superb - the Rio development team are regular contributors.

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
undisputed? not even close. there are better HD players in all the above categories...but the iPod does have a lot in its favor - best music management-software combo with itunes, cool factor, lots of 3rd party devices, etc. it does sound good and i really like mine, but there are a lot here who will disagree that it's the "undisputed" best...

Just curious, Kugino- what HD player, in your opinion, has better sound quality than the 4G iPod (L/O)?

Jul 30, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I don't think there will ever be an "undisputed king". That is, of course, until Bose decides to make a HDD player . . .
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nah...I think Bose needs all the help from Apple Stores to sell its headphones. LOL.

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 69
Quote:

Nah...I think Bose needs all the help from Apple Stores to sell its headphones. LOL.

I went to the Apple stores in Atlanta, GA, and all displayed iPods are hooked up with either the Quiet Comfort 2 or Triport. This is pretty lame in my opinion. Bose headphones should never be associated with iPod!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back