Ipod Rugged/Durable IEM's for outside use
Feb 21, 2011 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Avenyr

New Head-Fier
I've been doing quite a bit for research in order to find a nice pair of great sounding IEM's for my iPod that won't break on me after a few weeks. I've grown pretty discouraged so far as it seems very difficult to find durable IEM's that I can use reliably.

I'm just relying on general opinions from what I read online so I don't know how much of it I should believe. I usually go through a set of Replacement cables for my Sennheisers HD-497 every 6-12 months and was hoping to find some great IEM's around 150-200$ or perhaps a bit more that could last me a while or that are easily serviceable with a minimum hassle. Replaceable cables would be great!

Do you guys have some suggestions for great durable IEMs with a good sound quality and potentially replaceable cables for my budget?

Thanks !

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 3
Look into Sleek Audio and Panasonic HJE900s... The latter may be hard to find now... but if you do, I guarantee you they will suit your durability and sound needs...

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for tips!

Are the HJE900 discontinued or are they expected to come out with a new model to replace them? On the Panasonic website they are nowhere to be found either on the .com or canadian website. There seems to be a model that would sell for around 80-90$ and another one between 180-250$ depending on the seller which is the only one still available for purchase. I could be mistaken though. They could be the same model. I noticed J&R had a sale on them a few months again but they don't have them anymore.

The Sleek Audio ones also seem very interested. The SA1 is more in my price range than the SA6 but I saw that an SA7 is also coming out soon... it probably will be out of my price range though. For the price, the SA1 are very tempting. I also have issues with in-ear buds falling out of my ears very easily but my only reference was the very first in-ear buds from Apple that they came out with years ago which were pure garbage to me. I may have to invest in some quality plugs perhaps ?

The reviews on the SA1 seem fairly favorable with the newer models apparently much better than the ones they came out with 2 years ago. The cables seem to get some complaints. They may be changeable but it does seem like they are made so that they must be changed often which could end up being a potential money sink at 25$ a pop plus international shipping. if they last about a year or so I won't mind so much. What experience have you guys had regarding the cable longevity for those who have the SA1 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back