iPod owners - cons about an iPod?
Apr 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #46 of 61

Quote:
 I didn't know anything about the wolf's son until I was blown away by the SQ of rockboxed ipod video. Immediately I lost interest in my iphone 4s.

I Rockboxed/ E17 my 5G video and it is much better than standard itunes/ipod control in every way. Only play Flacs now and I love it. Have a 240 gig on the way and JH-Audio just received my impressions yesterday for my 16s.  It is going to be a glorious summer.:)

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #47 of 61
iTunes if used by normal people is a mess, used correctly and it can be a godsend. Sadly I like to do things fast so organization which is more or less something you have to do yourself is messy

No FLAC support unless you rockbox. Using appstore apps for FLAC is not my favorite thing.

Weak headphone out amp.....but who here uses that?

Expensive for more space, ALAC's should be used sparingly. Use AAC 256kbps VBR as a alternative, most can't tell the difference.

That's all I can say. I didn't say the stupidly obvious things like the DAC not being as good as a Hifiman's as....that would be comparing a purpose device to a universal one with a much lower price.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #48 of 61
To me, there hasn't really been any major issues using an iPod. It has its limitations and things like that, but for me, they haven't been a problem at all. I like iTunes for the most part. I think once the DRM thing was gone, it got much better. The music quality is good enough for me and my equipment. The unit itself is nice, I like the interface, battery life isn't terrible, and with a LOD the sound is pretty good IMO. And yes, the iPod has ample output power to drive all my headphones. Granted, none are terribly hard to drive, but my Pro/4AA are 250 ohms and I don't have a problem, and my SE-50 are 8 ohms and it can handle them decently. So in all, i like it. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #49 of 61

Quote:
I'm almost all but settled into buying an iPod, but I still have a couple questions about the iPod's build and sound quality that I haven't really found a great answer for.

First off, have you had any problems with the sound quality of the iPod? I plan on mostly using a pair of Eggos with my iPod, but I want to be able to plug in my HD580's and not cringe at the sound sometimes.

Secondly, regarding build quality, it seems like the biggest problem is the lack of a replaceable battery. It's to the best of my knowledge that this really isn't a widespread problem, but to those of you iPod owners, how long do you think your battery will last and how do you deal with this?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

I have the iPod Touch 3G 64GB and it is great. It beat the Cowon D2+ in SQ when the Cowon EQ was flat. This iPod is very accurate and can power IEM's beautifully. To drive my Senn HD-650's though it requires an amp. I have a TTVJ Slim which is fantastic. I also have an iPod 30GB 5G with the Wolfson DAC. By the way - you can replace the iPod battery - I did it in my 30GB model. I got everything from here: http://www.ipodjuice.com/.  To me, the biggest con of an iPod is iTunes. I $%#^ hate it !!!!!

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #50 of 61

Quote:

I have the iPod Touch 3G 64GB and it is great. It beat the Cowon D2+ in SQ when the Cowon EQ was flat. This iPod is very accurate and can power IEM's beautifully. To drive my Senn HD-650's though it requires an amp. I have a TTVJ Slim which is fantastic. I also have an iPod 30GB 5G with the Wolfson DAC. By the way - you can replace the iPod battery - I did it in my 30GB model. I got everything from here: http://www.ipodjuice.com/.  To me, the biggest con of an iPod is iTunes. I $%#^ hate it !!!!!

To my ears the rockboxed ipod video sounds even better than Cowon J3. Have to agree on the itune (it sucks period), but the problem is solved with rockbox. I can't never go back to itune again.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #51 of 61

Quote:

(...) Have to agree on the itune (it sucks period), but the problem is solved with rockbox. I can't never go back to itune again.

X2

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #53 of 61

Quote:
For me also is the no FLAC support and no custom equalizer.

Both can be addressed with an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #55 of 61
To answer earlier question(s) ...

On the 5.5 Gen iPod with the Wolfson DAC, this path:

44.1 WAV from EAC ==> careful upsample to 96 FLAC (FLAC chosen to add metadata) with SOX ==> decimate to 48 ALAC

sounds better to me and several others in blind tests to the original.  On the iPod (actually an iMod + iQube).

On my home system with the Benchmark or the Wadia DAC there is no difference, no audible loss of SQ bought on by the upsample and decimation.

I cannot explain why it sounds better on the iMod.  Possible the Wolfson DAC just deals better with 48, and if presented with 44.1 would do conversions on the fly in real-time during playback that I can do better taking all the time SOX and the decimation needs offline to coerce 44.1 to 48 (and it makes sense that a 44.1 to 48 conversion might work well with an upsample to 96 first).

Who knows.  But I hear an improvement, and since WAV is useless as an archive format (no metadata) I am going to make FLAC anyway, so there are no extra steps here really, and besides it is all automated wtih FB2K scripts and xrecode bulk operations.

YMMV, no argument.

May 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #56 of 61
I owned an iPod 5.5g, which is commonly accepted to be the last decent sounding iPod. I put Rockbox on it, and loved listening to it and the incredible equalizer for a few weeks.

After bring invited to a friends house and listening to his Cowon S9 for the day while we went walking, played video games, etc. I promptly returned the iPod, becasue the Cowon S9 sounded better.

I use EQ's, becasue they can tailor a headphones to fit my tastes better, and feel that a Cowon S9 with EQ applied sounds better than an iPod with Rockbox and EQ applied.

The preset EQs on the iTouch and iPod classic are terrible, and the bass booster seems to add terrible clipping/distortion, while knocking off the treble. I also feel my Cowon to have a better interface than any iPod I've used, touch or otherwise.

I also like that it has longer battery life than any iPod.
...and that the screen has better colors, contrast, and smoother motion.
...and that I have buttons and volume control on the S9, which I can use when the screen is off.
...and that there is a radio that I can record from so that I can go back an purchase songs like.
...and that is feels better in my hand with the curve and rubberized finish.
...and that the build quality seems better as far as durability goes, because my friend and I have dropped then several times, and the screen never cracks.
...and that the interface is customizable, so that if I want something new, or even for it to looks like an iPod on the screen, I can do that too.
...and that it supports upsampling with BBE MP, along wish crossfeed with BBE ViVa and ViVa 2
...and that it will play FLAC files, in addition to most other formats besides AAC.
...and that neither the sides, nor the back of the unit show scratches like the metal back of my former iPod 5.5g.

I guess I should be talking about cons for iPods, and to keep it similar to the above, I'll only talk about the 5.5g that I owned for a few weeks. Some of this has to do with iTunes, which I gave a shot for a few days along with the standard interface.
-The new metal back had small scratches within days.
-iTunes took longer to launch than any other media player I had ever used. Winamp, WMP, VLC, MediaMonkey.
-I had to charge it every day.
-I could not adjust volume while it was in my pocket.
-Without Rockbox, I could not figure out how tp organize things by folders.
-Interface was slow to operate, and I felt hindered by the number of clicks it too me to do things like change the EQ, or screen brightness, etc. starting at the music playing screen.
-Trying to manually put my music on it was one of the most frustrating things I've done. (Yes, I realize it only supports that if you change the setting in iTunes, and drag and drop music from iTunes, as there is no native drag and drop as far as I understand.)
-No radio whatsoever

May 21, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #57 of 61
I can't stand ipod EQ presets, I dislike the volume cap 'a lot". When I first got my nano I seriously thought it was broken or something after finding out it wouldn't scare a mouse from 10 paces. Then there's itunes. were everything is made more difficult than ever - however most imbreed monkeys (humans) live by itunes because they're semi brain washed by crapple to think itunes is now the ONLY way to listen to your music. It would appear a large majority of the world have forgotten about walkmans and mp3 players with "drag n drop". Back to EQ settings, never, never in my life have I heard presets that actually make every genre they're meant for sound worse. I don't know who creates those presets, morre to the point how crapple manage selling SO MANY ipods to the whole world.

Least they could do is add a 5 band EQ for people. Apple is all about apple exactly how they want us to think, breath their air. No SD card slot which will never happen if it means monkeys spending more for larger capacity. Rockbox was the only thing that saved my nano from living it's life in a dark draw. I wouldn't even sell it to someone as I'd like  to save the world from ipod brain washing to one less person. I still think the SQ is terrible compared to my other players. (check profile) I could ramble on about their cons for hours. The ipod touch was with Equalizer app was the only thing I could possibly live with but even that gives me problems (songs repeat the last 5 seconds when ending) 

The end.

May 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #58 of 61
Can't speak for other ipods, but with rockboxed ipod 5G the only con I can think of is it doesn't last forever. I am a no-EQ/no-amp guy, but with rockboxed ipod 5G and hardware-based tweaking for my EX1000, I have found paradise in this comb. That earth shaking sound stage and 3D imaging are amazing. 
normal_smile%20.gif

May 23, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #60 of 61
I own a 5.5G iPod video (Rockboxed & CF modded)

Some cons:

- Inverted scratchproof coating on both plastic and metal parts
- Horrible soundquality of Headphone out (with LOD & amp on the other hand it's quite good)
- Shock sensitive harddrive (solved with the CF mod)
- Non-replacable battery (F#ck you Apple, I replaced it anyway)
- Slooooooowwwwwww (partially solved with the CF mod)
- Expensive (pay $250 then buy a $70 CF card and a $30 CF adapter just to make it perform like a product that was made in this century)
- iTunes (I wouldn't mind inflicting some pain on the people who created that POS)
- No FLAC support
- Bloody hipsters talking to me like they expect me to share their opinion on Apple products
- 9y/o thread resurrections about the cons of a device

My rockboxed Sansas sound better
My S:Flo2 sounds better

And yet my iPod is my most used player at the moment. Why? Rockbox is skinnable and high contrast + big font in combination with the huge clickwheel make it quite suitable for car use. And due to being too busy both at work and at home, I don't have much time anymore to listen to music other than on the daily commute. That being said, I immediately grab another player as soon as I get a chance to listen to music in any other situation (Sansa at the gym, S:Flo2 at home or at the office).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back