Ipod Nano with 1GB released!
Feb 7, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 35
Guys...this is an upgrade over the Shuffle, not a downgrade from the Nano. Good looking 1 GB flash player, plays lossless (ALAC), similar high quality DAC/internals as the Shuffle, color screen, and line-out capability. All the complaints you've had about the Shuffle have now been solved, for a $10-$20 increase in price. Sounds pretty good to me.

And I think this *is* the "Shuffle with a screen".

EDIT: And there's nothing innately wrong with releasing a 2GB or 1GB player. These are just the perfect sizes for some people. If you're complaining that capacity is too low - should all flash players cease to exist, and companies should only sell 60 GB hard drive players? If you don't like this size, there are other models for you.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #17 of 35
Apple keeps hammering away at the competition with its aggressive pricing. The market has really changed in the past 15 -18 months.
(OK, so this is really stating the obvious.)

And yes, the 1GB Nano certainly would be the "Shuffle With a Screen." Are they selling off existing Shuffle inventory (and not coincidentally underpricing a lot of their competitors' 512MB and 1GB offerings)? Do you think there will still be a Shuffle 12 months from now -- and going forward, will it continue to have the original chip set and highly praised sound quality?

I haven't owned an iPod since the 2G iPod for Windows, but for some reason I'm curious about what fans and detractors predict from Apple.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #18 of 35
nano's bass is overdone - doesn't sound as good as Shuffle. Fine for bass-hungry phones, though.

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 35
where does it say the new 1gig nano has the same amplifier as the shuffle?

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Guys...this is an upgrade over the Shuffle, not a downgrade from the Nano. Good looking 1 GB flash player, plays lossless (ALAC), similar high quality DAC/internals as the Shuffle, color screen, and line-out capability. All the complaints you've had about the Shuffle have now been solved, for a $10-$20 increase in price. Sounds pretty good to me.

And I think this *is* the "Shuffle with a screen".

EDIT: And there's nothing innately wrong with releasing a 2GB or 1GB player. These are just the perfect sizes for some people. If you're complaining that capacity is too low - should all flash players cease to exist, and companies should only sell 60 GB hard drive players? If you don't like this size, there are other models for you.

It seems to me that it would be a whole lot cheaper to replace the memory chips in the existing Nano than to redesign the Shuffle. I may be wrong, but if not, than I would say this is a downgrade from the Nano.

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #21 of 35
$10-$20 incr in price?
looks close to $50 if we're comparing the 1gig shuffle to the 1gig nano.

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 35
Prior to the introduction of the 1gb nano, the 1gb shuffle was $129. So from $129 for a 1gb shuffle last week to $149 for a 1gb nano this week is a $20 increase to get the screen and lossless functionality.

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #23 of 35
All this, but still no LARGER capacity iPods. Come on Apple! Where's my terebyte iPod already? Sheesh.

Feb 8, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 35
the 1 gig nano is pretty worthless to me....
I mean, who wouldn't want to pay $30-40 more for twice the memory?
If i ever consider a 1 gig flash based player from apple (highly doubtful)
my money's with the shuffle, espcially with the $50 i save and the better sound quality

Feb 9, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #25 of 35
i don't understand how any of you can survive with that little space
confused.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #26 of 35
Well obviously we have different listening habits / styles. I never find myself listening to a wide variety of songs. I'm more of an album, group, or mood person. I could listen to the same album for days. I have a shuffle and it's fine for sound quality. A nano is just slick looking and the menu would make sense if I had more capacity than my 512MB shuffle
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by defjux
i don't understand how any of you can survive with that little space
confused.gif

I don't need my entire mp3 collection with me at all times. I have 3 gigs on my iPod mini and 1 gig on a shuffle for running is more than enough. With 192 VBR that is about 150 songs.

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #28 of 35
My 5G-60 has video and basically a third backup of my graphics work, so the extra capacity is getting pushed quite a bit.

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
Do you think there will still be a Shuffle 12 months from now -- and going forward, will it continue to have the original chip set and highly praised sound quality?

I heard that they were planning to release a 2gb and 4gb version of the Shuffle in June.

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #30 of 35
According to the updated Nano review from ilounge, it seems the capacity is not the only difference between the larger models and the 1GB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by from ilounge.com
In person, the 1GB nano’s screen is a hint less bright, and has a slightly pink tint, rather than the “blue-white LED backlight" listed as of the date of publication on Apple’s web site. It’s unclear whether Apple is now using a different screen supplier for all iPod nanos, or whether the lowest-priced nano has a lower-quality backlight or display than the others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back