iPod mini announced
Jan 8, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #196 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
How much?

My mother always completely discharged her cell phone up until recently. It's 1 1/5 years old and the batterylife hasn't suffered noticeable at all.
What can she expect? Will a li-ion battery die on you out of the blue or will it get slowly worse like a NiMH?

It will slowly diminish in capacity. I'd advise that she simply begin topping it up often. Remember, it can't be overcharged and there is no memory problem.

I top up all of my iPods after as little as half hour's use when it's convenient. I recently passed along a G1 iPod that was purchased on the day the iPod was first released (NO iPods are older than this one) and it still had a run-time of 80 percent or so. But it was never fully discharged and was topped up almost daily.

I have a 30GB G3 that literally lives in its dock connected to a Corda HA-2. I also have a 40GB G3 that is used conventionally, and a 20GB G2 that is used only for audiobooks at 32kbps. Although I've done no serious run-time testing, there is no obvious difference in their expected cycle time.

Jan 8, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #197 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
How much?

My mother always completely discharged her cell phone up until recently. It's 1 1/5 years old and the batterylife hasn't suffered noticeable at all.
What can she expect? Will a li-ion battery die on you out of the blue or will it get slowly worse like a NiMH?

Lisa, complete discharge was recommended for the old ni-cad batteries because of their memory effect. If you didn't completely discharge them before recharging they would retain a memory which would keep them from fully discharging on the next use cycle. In other words, they'd seem to discharge quicker. Newer battery technology doesn't have the memory effect.

Jan 8, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #198 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
I have a 30GB G3 that literally lives in its dock connected to a Corda HA-2. I also have a 40GB G3 that is used conventionally, and a 20GB G2 that is used only for audiobooks at 32kbps. Although I've done no serious run-time testing, there is no obvious difference in their expected cycle time.

That just ain't right... you got any one of those available as giveaway any time soon?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #199 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
Um... couldn't you just bring a charger to work to use while you were at the desk? It's not a *necessity* to have 8+ hours, it's just a convenience, even in your case.

Yeah, and couldn't you *just* build your own or buy a fat battery pack for your iPod? Once we start playing the "what if..." game, then what is the point of really debating? SUV's don't get good gas mileage....but couldn't you just have fuel up every 200 miles?

Jan 8, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #200 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

By the way, you like to flame me for my (informed) statements, but what about when people come into a forum and try to convince people what to buy based on their own preferences: "Don't buy the iPod because the battery life is too short." Will I ever see you criticizing those people for making recommendations without knowing the user's usage patterns?

You obviously have an issue with me, but unlike myself, you are taking this personally. You use the word flame, when I was simply stating that there were people who might require the 8 hours of battery life. And those people might very well be the people that state long battery life as a criteria for their portables buying decision.

Lastly, I've noticed you always try to play both sides of the coin. You make comments (not exact quotes btw) like "I don't want this to get off topic..." or "I don't want this to turn into a flamefest." but every reply you make to myself, as well as others, are inflammatory in nature. You call others ignorant, uninformed, stupid, etc. You insert little rolling eyes and make sarcastic jabs. Then you act holier than thou. I mean what's your story? Don't walk into a bar and say "loser *cough* loser" under your breath. That was funny in ... oh 5th grade.

Jan 8, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #201 of 257
I like the iPod mini a lot, however it's no where near the price range I can afford.

My friends and I were sitting in our office watching the keynote and when he announced the prices, we all just got up and kinda milled off. We were impressed with the design but the price bites. Apple has to be making an enourmous profit on these minis because 250$ is simply too high a price for that thing to fetch. The disk drive would make up the majority of the price, the battery coming in second and maybe tied with the PCB.

I think they've been too used to large profit margins on their products to price low anymore. Oh well, if I ever get an iPod, it'll be a 15 giger.

Jan 9, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #202 of 257
Another member just back from Macworld. As said before, they're much cooler in person. Still the price issue, but again the colors aren't as horrid as expected and the size seems much smaller than the full sized iPod next to it.

Jan 9, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #204 of 257
Sorry about using the incorrect cold-temperature example, Spad- old misconceptions die hard. I misspoke.

You are incorrect, however, that I'm misinformed about such things.

Quote:

Unless mistreated, it is far more likely that our batteries will die of old age than excessive charge cycles.

And again, this is contrary to what seems to be the case according to what I've read. At least give us a couple links to the wealth of info you've presented in the past to support this assertion. I would stand corrected, you'd shut me up, and I'll spread the info to other forums so they'll quit spreading misinformation, too. WIN WIN.

Quote:

Now let's see . . . Americans are killing and being killed in Iraq, ...Maybe there are more important issues.

Certainly- but I came here specifically to discuss and learn about trivial sht like this.

Jan 9, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #205 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia *****, this thread is going to need its own forum pretty soon.

Between the pre-release and post-release threads it's over 10,000 posts!

Jan 9, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #206 of 257
Quote:

Between the pre-release and post-release threads it's over 10,000 posts

and just imagine if ipod upgraded the big brother. 100,000 easy.

Jan 9, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #207 of 257
Quote:

Originally posted by rodbac
how can you guys STAND to have to worry about charging your player so often?

That's just the point -- we don't. When I come home, I just plop the iPod in the dock. It gets charged, syncs any new songs, syncs contacts/calendars/notes/etc., and is ready to go when I am. I never worry about charging.

Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
You obviously have an issue with me, but unlike myself, you are taking this personally.

How ironic, considering that my responses to you have stuck to facts and discussion, while you're making personal comments. (You even avoided answering my question.) Clearly, you're the one who has a problem with me, not the other way around.

Just discuss the issues. That's what this forum is for. Keep it civil. If you want to make snide comments, don't complain if you get responses that aren't "loving."

Jan 9, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #208 of 257
It seems that the color marketing is similar to Casio's gshock and baby gshock lines. I'm still waiting for the sound quality reviews with Etymotics and other headphones, headphone/amp combinations.

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #209 of 257
I agree with you man, plus this guy thinks that Apple and crazy eyes jobs can do no wrong. 8 hours is not enough battery life...plain and simple...they need to fix it, and its a big pain in the ass. As much as I love macs, they do have faults, and unlike some of these mac zealots, i am not arrogant enough to deny them...

Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
You obviously have an issue with me, but unlike myself, you are taking this personally. You use the word flame, when I was simply stating that there were people who might require the 8 hours of battery life. And those people might very well be the people that state long battery life as a criteria for their portables buying decision.

Lastly, I've noticed you always try to play both sides of the coin. You make comments (not exact quotes btw) like "I don't want this to get off topic..." or "I don't want this to turn into a flamefest." but every reply you make to myself, as well as others, are inflammatory in nature. You call others ignorant, uninformed, stupid, etc. You insert little rolling eyes and make sarcastic jabs. Then you act holier than thou. I mean what's your story? Don't walk into a bar and say "loser *cough* loser" under your breath. That was funny in ... oh 5th grade.

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #210 of 257
Quote:

That's just the point -- we don't. When I come home, I just plop the iPod in the dock. It gets charged, syncs any new songs, syncs contacts/calendars/notes/etc., and is ready to go when I am. I never worry about charging.

So you don't "charge it", you just "put it into it's dock and if it happens to get charged by virtue of it's being placed there, so be it"?

I'm not trying to beat the Pod's up, but I listen to my player at least 4-5 hours most days, and 9-10 hours some days, and if I had to worry about making sure my portable got placed in it's cradle every night so I'd be able to listen AT ALL the next day, I'd go ****ing nuts.

Maybe I'm missing on the "It's a PDA, too!"-thing still... although I still maintain that a PDA and an MP3 player are two different animals that shouldn't share a stable- I want my PDA to be a handheld computer and I want my MP3 player to belt out mindblowing ****ing sound for days straight. Both require more power than current technology can deliver. Until that changes, convergence has to be done carefully, and MP3 players and PDA's will continue to water each other down to the point of unacceptability (word?). IMVHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back