iPod hype finally cooling down?
Oct 5, 2006 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
For some reason I get the impression that iPods are no longer the opject of absolute hip anymore. When I was a freshman in university 2 years ago, people were absolutely raving about them getting iPods and atleast since the ipod mini came out, I remember it recieving campus wide attention especially when the in-school electronics store stocks new ones.

These days its not like that at all. Not many people seem to pay attention to the new nano and shuffle. Last year when the nano and 5g ipod was released, people were like "holy sh*****t did you see the new ipod nano? you could eat that sh***t when ur drunk dude, its dangerously small". To the new nano the general reaction is like "what? new nano? its got colors, so what? ur gonna put $5 rubber sleeves over it anyway." My college community is definitely slower at absorbing them than it used to. In fact, hardly anybody I know fill even half the capacity of their full size ipods and seem to feel no need to replace them. Adding to the fact that iPods tend to have the same design which was one of the key factors that helped the brand's phenomenal success, people seem a little bored of it.

I guess the last point I should add is that alot of the university's attention on electronics these days moved to next gen gaming. Many people here are saving up and counting the days until the PS3 launch while others continue to spend money on new games and peripherals for their xbox 360s or invest in a modest sized HDTV.

This was a feeling I had in the back of my mind for a while now, but I feel it very strongly today after reading this article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/05/te...in&oref=slogin

New York City is pretty senesitive to what is hip or not. If a newspaper as reliable as NYT publishes something like this, it is bound to catch people's attention.

Oct 6, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 48
The NYT has been abysmally wrong on so many fronts when it comes to tech lately that to take what is printed within as a statement to what is hip or not...well, might just not be the best way to go about things.

As for iPods reaching a critical mass, this might be the case; however, the new Nano may be the best DAP ever made. It is very durable with its new aluminum chassis, it is ridiculously small (is it actually slimmer than the first gen?) and it can hold more, offer some upgrades on the SW side and is just all around sweet. However, if one already owned a 1st gen...would they rush out to buy a 2nd? Not when the storage is only twice, but the offering of 24 hour battery life and a metal chassis, well that is a big deal and the Christmas shopping season is only just starting up world-wide.

As for other devices, they collectively amount to 20-30% of the market. I don't think any single device as yet could be termed an iPod killer. The iPod is still number 1 in ergonomics and artistic design. Its merging of form and function so that one equates to the other vs. being at odds with each other is what Apple does best.

The best thing about the article is the irony in the initial paragraph...buddy doesn't want to be "just like his friends" so he goes out and buys a laptop from the leading laptop manufacturer in the world. Um....right, gotcha, you are now sooooooo different from your peers, but you are one among legion as a Dell totin' XP using guy. That's fine, nothing wrong with that, but it certainly isn't radical! Watch out with my Dell laptop! I'm cool
wink.gif
Heh... Now, the Sandisk...maybe, but it has as much DRM as Apple and the sound is not necessarily as good, though the expandible mem is kickin' cool.

Oct 6, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 48
The hype may be cooling down for several reasons.

First, the iPod is the only game in town for a lot of people. It sure could use importable EQ, but I've noticed for a while that - despite audiophile love for the iAudio products - the iPod is increasingly the reference in these columns. I can recall a time not too far back when it was the other way around. It's something an Apple customer (who's equivocal about the iPod) notices.

Second, while manufacturers have come up with players that have an astonishing range of features, the iPod is the most elegant. It has changed little over the past two generations, but only gained a certain strength. Most of its strength is that its eminently giftable.

Third, for most people, it's "good enough." I mention this for the Head-Fi crowd. I just got off the bus with a girl yesterday and asked if she liked the iPod Nano's sound. "It's fine. I don't need anything else. I'm not an audio snob," -- the last remark, I presume, pointed at me. Snob? I just want to hear the music rendered satisfactorily; otherwise, I'd get a transistor radio. I bought an 5g iPod for my mother, and she couldn't be happier when it's connected to her SR60 or KSC75.

Of course, most people haven't gotten used to AKG and Senn.....

Oct 6, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 48
DRSpeed85 says:
Quote:

iPod hype finally cooling down?

YES, like everything else, but send me a nickle for every new Shuffle you see and I wll be a rich man.
eggosmile.gif

ps: During the first half of 2007, Apple will offer for sale the "must have" for that year. I told you first . . . sssshhhhhhh !

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 48
The hype is cooling down, but it's not because competitors are gaining ground. The competitors are hopeless for a number of reasons. (If there's any doubt about that, look at the recent Clix charging issue.) It's just that the market is becoming saturated. People who need iPods have them (there's only so much storage any one person needs and no must have new iPod has been released, with the potential exception of the new Shuffle), plus cell phones with >=1GB capacity are growing in popularity.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 48
The first paragraph makes me wonder what this guy is talking about. Dell bucks the trend? The largest pc seller worldwide is rebellion? Dell took over the pc market about 5 years ago, and about 4 years ago, I noticed how trendy it had become. I went to my NJ inlaws for christmas- no fewer than 10 times did I hear different people say, I just "got a Dell".... not I got a new computer, but I just "got a Dell".

Furthernore to equate Ipods and Mac computers, is ludicrous, Ipods are worlds more popular than mac computers ever have been or ever will be. So what is the point of this analogy? And bucking the trend? This is all pretty mixed up to me.

Regardless, the appeal of the ipod is that it is sleek, slick, has a great user interface and is trendy. That is how apple got to be on top. Innovation will keep them there for a time, but there is only so much time before ipods reach saturation, upgrades become too frequent or insignificant in comparison to cost/hassle, or trendiness turns to rebellion.

So what is apple going to do? The same thing Microsoft did to control the market- release a proprietary software that everyone needs in order to make their trendy device function, then slowly develop that software into a proprietary killer app. Itunes dominates the market and will buy apple a lot time IMO.

Just for the record- I dont care who dominates the market as long as the products get better while remaining easy to use.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
While I fully respect your opinion, pardon me:

Ha!

Heh, maybe not for an audiophile but for most everyone else? We have incredible form fact, awesome gui, ease of use (click wheel!), great battery life and the largest flash size of any unit thus far. Oh...with the new chassis it is also very durable. Really, if not the best it is way up there. From the NYT article it also goes on to read that none of the units listed sounded as good as the Nano, just nearly so. That says a lot too
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Wodgy has it right, those that pretty well want an iPod have one. I was really hoping for something massive from Apple. The 80Gb was not enough to entice me to drop my 60gb iPhoto (which apparently sounds the best of all iPods) to move up for a mere 20 Gigs. Though that is a lot of storage I would need to double to move up. However, I had been looking for a very long time for a flash player and kept waiting and waiting. I saw the new Shuffles and though..PERFECT! but I would like something a bit larger and with a screen for sleeping/running/driving etc. So I went with teh new Nano. The aluminum chassis and the 8GB storage was perfect for my needs at this time. Sure more storage would be grand but then it always will be. My main concern was something I could lay under my pillow so that I could hopefully drown out my wife's snoring and my daughthers baby noises (read: grunts) in the middle of the night. I am such a light sleeper that these things keep me awake all the time. Music can at least lull me. With some UM2's or E500s...I'll be able to sleep in bed soon (I've been on the couch for nearly 2 months now).

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Heh, maybe not for an audiophile but for most everyone else? We have incredible form fact, awesome gui, easy of use (click wheel!), great battery life and the largest flash size of any unit thus far. Oh...with the new chassis it is also very durable. Really, if not the best it is way up there. From the NYT article it also goes on to read that none of the units listed sounded as good as the Nano, just nearly so. That says a lot too
smily_headphones1.gif

Meizu M6. Soon to have upgraded HD and regarded to have superior sound quality through headphone out.

Later.
Do!
http://www.miniplayer.info/

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do
Meizu M6. Soon to have upgraded HD and regarded to have superior sound quality through headphone out.

Later.
Do!
http://www.miniplayer.info/

It's bigger than the Nano, does not have click wheel and thus far is only 4 GB's...how is this better? It may sound better, fine but for most people...this is only one aspect of the experience. If I were shopping for a home unit, sound is number 1 but for mobile units...other things come into play as well.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 48
I live in NYC and the most common thing I see is people wearing the iBuds... I have not even see anyone with the other MP3 players in the article.

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 48
Of course the iPod hype is dying down... Let's just compare the DAP hype with the cd player hype. Remember when Sony discman came out??? Everybody and thier mother wanted one... Same applies to DAPS, with the iPod in the spotlight. DAPs have become mainstream. Now it's not just a wealthy only thing. Everyone has one...so it's no big deal anymore. Everyones seen one and now basically everyone has one...

Doesn't help that Apple and everyone else has gotten boring with thier upgrades also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back