Ipod dock to RCA VS Mini to RCA ?
Feb 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

YtseJamer

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I'm just wondering if there's a big SQ difference?

I already have the Cryo Dock for my portable amp but now I want to connect my Ipod directly into my desktop amp and I don't want to spend $175 for a Dock to RCA cable.

I have 2 options :

1- I buy a custom Mini female to RCA cable to use it with my Cryo Dock.
2- I buy a good Mini male to RCA cable but this way I can't bypass the Ipod amp.

Which one would be better?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Definitely get option 1. No matter how many connectors mess with the signal path (within reason), it's going to sound much, much better than a signal that's amped once by the iPod amp and again by your amp. Plus, if it's custom (or you DIY) and you feel paranoid, just make the mini female->RCA with the highest quality components as you please.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely get option 1. No matter how many connectors mess with the signal path (within reason), it's going to sound much, much better than a signal that's amped once by the iPod amp and again by your amp. Plus, if it's custom (or you DIY) and you feel paranoid, just make the mini female->RCA with the highest quality components as you please.

Thanks for the comments. I'll get that cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 5
The other option is to get someone to make you one. It'll cost less and sound the same. $175 is nonsensical.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other option is to get someone to make you one. It'll cost less and sound the same. $175 is nonsensical.

Well, it depends who makes it and what they use, but yes, this would be a reasonable choice.

For good quality LOD cables, I think you pay quite a bit for labor (and it's worth it). Soldering on a couple of 24AWG silver wires onto that connector isn't too hard, but trying to do the same with 18AWG Jena or other exotic stiff wire and then making sure that there is sufficient strain relief so that it doesn't break the pins off is VERY hard, trust me on this, I've made tons of LOD cables and working with anything exotic is VERY hard. Last time I tried working with solid Cardas for it, I broke 4 connectors and lost over an hour of my time without a finished cable.

Then I modified the iPod to take output from the DAC and now going to have to redo the cables with some good caps, even more delicate
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back