Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #2,746 of 3,645
  appreciate this is for the newer classic, but I wondered if somebody could help...

I have a 30gb video rockboxed with sdxc card in

my music is added via iTunes with art embedded (long story, but the card would not allow drag and drop - only adding this way)

I want to use picture flow and have extracted the art as per the link via the rockbox page and it is in the ipod_control / music folder and named and the right size - yet when I update the library / database and update the cache, not 1 picture works on album art

thanks

The simplist approach is using ALAC for all your music transfers to Rockbox. That's been my approach, all the art, info etc., very easy and sonically fine. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #2,747 of 3,645

what build of emCORE are you using??

emcore-installer-ipodclassic-r880.ubi  available here.

anything from 859 on should do.  I felt like testing the bleeding edge, and thus far it's been bloody marvelous 
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #2,750 of 3,645
The simplist approach is using ALAC for all your music transfers to Rockbox. That's been my approach, all the art, info etc., very easy and sonically fine. 

thanks for the reply, however I am not 100% sure this will resolve my issue....

for some reason my sdxc card and rockbox do not allow drag and drop of flac files

however.....

the sdxc card allows the ipod to connect with itunes and sync my lossless files (apple format) as well as all other music held within itunes

itunes embeds the art etc and on apple firmware or rockbox firmware they both play perfectly with the art etc displayed

now the problem lies if i try to use the "pictureflow" plug in

I have updated and initiliazed the database, updated the cache etc, but every time i use picture flow all i get are question marks on the art

due to the albums not having their own files (apple is in ipod_control / music, then randomly in folders) I cannot drag / drop / copy a "cover.bmp or cover.jpg" in the album folder

I have used a program to extract the art and it has done all of that and name, labelled it etc in the ipod_control / music folder, however I cannot seem to get the link from the music to the picture - for use in cover-flow

cheers

G

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2,751 of 3,645
thanks for the reply, however I am not 100% sure this will resolve my issue....

for some reason my sdxc card and rockbox do not allow drag and drop of flac files

however.....

the sdxc card allows the ipod to connect with itunes and sync my lossless files (apple format) as well as all other music held within itunes

itunes embeds the art etc and on apple firmware or rockbox firmware they both play perfectly with the art etc displayed

now the problem lies if i try to use the "pictureflow" plug in

I have updated and initiliazed the database, updated the cache etc, but every time i use picture flow all i get are question marks on the art

due to the albums not having their own files (apple is in ipod_control / music, then randomly in folders) I cannot drag / drop / copy a "cover.bmp or cover.jpg" in the album folder

I have used a program to extract the art and it has done all of that and name, labelled it etc in the ipod_control / music folder, however I cannot seem to get the link from the music to the picture - for use in cover-flow

cheers

G

Experiment if you want take a FLAC file put it into iTunes then you can use iTunes to change that file to ALAC transfer file to Rockbox in ALAC.  Another option which I use the XLD.app free excellent software and can take FLAC, WAV, AIFF etc and transfer to ALAC then put on iTunes that way then should transfer with all data intact.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,752 of 3,645

emcore-installer-ipodclassic-r880.ubi  available here.

anything from 859 on should do.  I felt like testing the bleeding edge, and thus far it's been bloody marvelous 
wink.gif

+1

And with the daily builds from the last weeks I had some problems to properly mount it as an USB device, the disk would just turn off. Now with the latest build (131010 f580714) it's all good again, maybe even faster USB access than before :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,753 of 3,645

+1

And with the daily builds from the last weeks I had some problems to properly mount it as an USB device, the disk would just turn off. Now with the latest build (131010 f580714) it's all good again, maybe even faster USB access than before :)

Sweet, cuz I'm itchin' to upgrade 
smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I installed 20131010 daily build, and the controls are a little sluggish.  e.g., pressing Menu while in the Now Playing screen did not take me back to the main menu.  With 20130910 it usually took two presses, but it was consistent.  Maybe the HDD was just busy at that time.  I'll give a few more sessions.

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #2,756 of 3,645
I wish I had found this thread a long time ago
blink.gif

After reading this, I recently upgraded my old 80G Classic (that had been gathering dust) to Rockbox , and it's frankly a revelation .... Useable audio levels for driving difficult inputs (hacked car input), in-car charging now works, clean & simple user interface, ogg/flac, replay gain tag support, drag-n-drop ... I could go on ...

I completely understand why Rockbox lists the Classic as unsupported, but for a long while I didn't know it was possible to install it manually.

Many thanks to those who have contributed to this thread, and thanks for the efforts of the Rockbox and freemyipod teams. :)
You have given an old Classic a new lease of life ....

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #2,757 of 3,645
I'm trying to install Rockbox on my iPod Classic but I have a 160gb iPod latest gen...and I have a Mac, no real opportunity to use Windows...any help?

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #2,759 of 3,645
  I'm trying to install Rockbox on my iPod Classic but I have a 160gb iPod latest gen...and I have a Mac, no real opportunity to use Windows...any help?

I think if you read through this thread, or just search it for "Mac" you'll find that it's not possible to do the install on a Mac.  Don't quote me on that, as I'm not a Mac user, just recollecting.  I believe some have been successful in using a Mac to transfer files, once emCORE and Rockbox are installed.

e.g., this page does not mention Macs.

A google search of "install emCORE on Mac" didn't reveal anything useful.

Oct 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,760 of 3,645
one thing i'm noticing about rockbox is that there doesn't seem to be many complaints about people's iPod's just not working for some reason after rockbox......I have been keping up with this thread pretty regular in case something new hapens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back