Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,596 of 3,645
Quote:
No. You can install Emcore on Windows or Linux and transfer the songs on Mac.
I am using my Rockboxed iPod Classic with my MacBook Pro.
The finder can detect it and I just drag and drop the songs to my ipc like external drive.

I do the same, Dell for installation etc and MacBook Pro for song transfer, nice and simple just drag and drop.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2,597 of 3,645
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You'll be running as smooth as the standard operating system

Just to clarify is this an addition to the .rockbox file already on my ipod classic or a replacement?
And should I just extract this file to my ipod?
Thanks again for the update!

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,598 of 3,645
Hello all,

I'm using an iPod Classic 160GB rockboxed, and winamp does not detect it. I'm using Win7 and the ipod is detected as a drive, but for some reason, winamp do not see it. Does anybody know what can be happening?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Houchy
Anybody know where I can find help for this problem? Thanks!

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #2,599 of 3,645
Quote:
Just to clarify is this an addition to the .rockbox file already on my ipod classic or a replacement?
And should I just extract this file to my ipod?
Thanks again for the update!

extract to the ipod, agree to all prompts

it's an overwrite of the rockbox config

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,600 of 3,645
Quote:

Personally i don't know enough about it to offer any advice, you could (if you haven't already) get a post up on the Rockbox forum.
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2,601 of 3,645
so i was wondering.. can you still use the ipod with a car dock that does line out and charges at the same time?  I used my ipod with this cable all the time but now when I hook it up with the rocked boxed one it just goes into usb mode.  i went to the settings and set the settings to use car mode or another setting but it does not work.  Do i need to be doing something else?  

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2,602 of 3,645
Quote:

See the first post of this topic for some tricks to connect it. But like you said Windows 7 detects it as a drive, so that's good. Can you access it yourself? If so, it might be Winamps fault. I couldn't access my rockboxed iPod, for me it was solved when I uninstalled the Intel USB drivers, restarted and the Windows generic USB drivers were installed. Now it works just fine.

Quote:
so i was wondering.. can you still use the ipod with a car dock that does line out and charges at the same time?  I used my ipod with this cable all the time but now when I hook it up with the rocked boxed one it just goes into usb mode.  i went to the settings and set the settings to use car mode or another setting but it does not work.  Do i need to be doing something else?  

Turn your iPod on. Press and hold any key while connecting the iPod to keep it in playing mode and charge it at the same time. Though this will only work for docks without external controls, but it's worth to give it a try.

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2,603 of 3,645
So, I decided to toss the old firmware on my iPod classic in hopes of a better experience with RockBox.
I own a 120GB iPod Classic that I've had for about 5 or so years.

I followed the instructions as per this page: http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPod and using the guide in this post.

Everything seemed to work out just fine, other than some issues trying to get the installer-ipodclassic-r859-20120102.ubi file onto the UMSBoot Flash Device, I was greeted with the EmCore Boot Menu, along with the warning of "you will lose all your data". Given that I read the FAQ that versions of EmCOre above r836 won't erase anything that's on the filesystem on the iPod, I wasn't too worried, and the "format" took about 2 seconds.

Upon proceeding, I did feel a mild tinge of panic when I saw that there was no music on my iPod, and my free space read 111GB or 111GB. When I read the info on RockBox, they state that the files are still there, just hidden, and all I would have to do is build the database. So, using the database tools, it gets stuck at "268 found" I had about 66GB of songs on here... so it should be a lot more on there. Even so, the iPod is still responsive, allowing me to navigate the menus and such, but the database just never progresses or finishes even after waiting an hour or so.

However, I am curious about this in the FAQ:

Will I lose the data on my iPod when installing/updating emCORE/Rockbox?
No, versions since r836 won't erase anything that's on the filesystem on the iPod. The media that's already on the iPod will work after it is copied with a program that copies media then it can be put back on the iPod.

What does that mean exactly? Should I have had copied my music off of it first, even though this answer states that nothing will be erased? From what I can tell there is no media on my iPod to copy. Basically, I want to know if I just erased my songs by attempting this firmware change, or if there is something I am missing in my procedure.

Anyone with any insight into this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-MS

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,604 of 3,645
First of all, there is no need to panic: if you decide to restore back to iTunes using the same library as before, your iPod should be exactly the same as before Rockbox.

But of course this is not what we're after :wink:
Which Rockbox version are you using? The version that came with the installer is not that usable compared to newer builds. Connect to your pc and copy a new daily build to your iPod: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g
Then remove the device safely and it will ask you to reboot.

I never really cared about music that was on my iPod used with iTunes. But I do remember that there were a couple of hidden folders on the drive (like 'Notes', 'Music' and 'Games' or so).
Doing a database update with a proper Rockbox build will probably get your music back. Just know that it's not very easy to find the files using the file explorer, so if you want to copy that music (at a friends place for example) the file names are messed up because of the way iTunes transfers music.

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,605 of 3,645
I'm still trying to find a way to connect my Rockbox'd IPod Classic to my Pioneer DEH-P8100BT headunit via the LOD to USB cable i used to use to fully control my IPod with, looking on the IPod video Rockbox manual it appears to me as if you can change the way a device see's / recognises the device (see below 8.5.9) but it appears as if this can't be done on the classic, anyone know if i am missing something??

Otherwise i can, as a last resort, run it LOD to 3.5mm but didn't really want to do that if i can use the USB as that will also charge it for me!! 

[size=15.9403px] 8.5.9. USB HID[/size]
[size=14.5455px] This option turns the USB HID feature On and Off. When this feature is enabled, the player enumerates as a Human Interface Device (HID), composed of several HID sub[/size]
[size=14.5455px] devices. Since the player also enumerates as a Mass Storage Device, it becomes a USB Composite Device, which contains both these devices.[/size]

Any thoughts??

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,607 of 3,645
Quote:
Turn your iPod on. Press and hold any key while connecting the iPod to keep it in playing mode and charge it at the same time. Though this will only work for docks without external controls, but it's worth to give it a try.

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately didn't work with my Pioneer headunit
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,608 of 3,645
Quote:

Thanks for the info.  I was able to get it to work.  Now I just need to test it out in the car.  Looks like im going to be getting another 240  classic to use back in my car with the stock firmware.  just a bit easier to use while in the car.  I need to play around with winamp i guess to make some playlists unless there is a better to do it.  

So far liking rockbox in my ipod alot.  let me save the battery life on my phone.  Now.. once i get that Fiio 18 i may go back to my phone.. or better yet look at a fiio amp for the ipod.  any recommendations from you all?   fiio e11?  or e12?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back