Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,566 of 3,645
Quote:
I had no problems with my Mac. Just make sure the Classic is one that has a stable port.

What do you do to get it on the ipod?  I've read you need emcore, but that requires linux or a pc.  I tried a virtual maching of ubuntu, but part of the process failed, and I hate dealing with linux dependencies.  ugh.  Is there another way?

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #2,567 of 3,645
Quote:

What do you mean by that?

I'm also very anxious to get my 160gb classic rockboxed.  If it works I might buy a classic that doesn't have a bad drive. :p

After rockboxing with Windows, connect to MAC. This is the only time MAC can see the rockboxed iPod and you can transfer music from MAC. Then you start to listen to the rockboxed iPod. You connect to MAC and Mac can't see it ( does not recognise it as USB device ). So you can't transfer music from MAC anymore.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #2,568 of 3,645
Hello! I'm thinking on trying Rockbox due to the sound improvement that all people mention, but is there any method to put the classic click wheel games? (officials). I've looked for hours and do not find any info anywhere.
Thank you!

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2,569 of 3,645
T
After rockboxing with Windows, connect to MAC. This is the only time MAC can see the rockboxed iPod and you can transfer music from MAC. Then you start to listen to the rockboxed iPod. You connect to MAC and Mac can't see it ( does not recognise it as USB device ). So you can't transfer music from MAC anymore.
That's the issue. I don't have access to any windows computers...

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #2,570 of 3,645
Ok i have been trying to find the answer to this question but I have not found it.  I have an ipod classic 80gig that I upgraded with a 240gig hard drive.  Due to limitations of that ipod, it is only able to see 130gigs of usable space.  I wanted to know if that is a software limit or a hardware limit on it and if I put rockbox on it, will it then see the full 240gigs? 

If anyone know the answer please let me know.  Thank you

Jul 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #2,571 of 3,645
Been using my Rockboxed Classic for a few days and I'm blown away. Started converting all my CDs to FLAC and I'm going to order myself a shiny new 160gb in the next couple of weeks. :)

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #2,572 of 3,645
Quote:
Been using my Rockboxed Classic for a few days and I'm blown away. Started converting all my CDs to FLAC and I'm going to order myself a shiny new 160gb in the next couple of weeks.
smily_headphones1.gif

You deserve it. Rockbox put the rest to shame.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #2,573 of 3,645
I just rockboxed my 80gig and it works great.  Problem i think i have now is that sometimes its real slow when trying to back out of a menu.  it may just be that my click wheel needs to be replaced.  

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,574 of 3,645
Quote:
I just rockboxed my 80gig and it works great.  Problem i think i have now is that sometimes its real slow when trying to back out of a menu.  it may just be that my click wheel needs to be replaced.  

drive could be dying.  when my drive started failing it got really slugish with backing through the menus.

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,576 of 3,645
Quote:

Have you activated the Directory Cache?

Settings > General Settings > System > Disk > Directory Cache > Yes

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #2,579 of 3,645
Quote:
Have you tried to update off the Rockbox site?

Where?  I just find this: "There is no Rockbox bootloader available yet, you need to use emCORE from freemyipod.org instead."  When I got to emCORE it has no native mac installer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back