Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
May 11, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #2,431 of 3,645
Quote:
[...] but you cannot get out from usb mode after you plugged it in as 1st post says to press the select button
[...]

You have to press and hold the Menu button while plugging in, then you can charge&use it at the same time. Holding that button will also get you to the Quickscreen, just press Select to exit.

May 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2,432 of 3,645
Quote:
Im back to alrodans 120802 build and EmCore r859 and everything works better. I got 100% charge reading on battery and everything is running smoother and quick. Only thing i noticed is most of the pre set eq settings were left over from newer builds, no longer work. I dont use them anyways so i deleted them and left only the  original 13 that were included with the 120802 build.

I'd like to try that but cannot find it

May 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2,433 of 3,645
May 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,435 of 3,645
Quick question

I saw on an old head-fi youtube video that rockbox'ed iPods can't use amp/DACs. Is this still the case? And if it is, is rockboxing a cheaper (and presumably less efficient) alternative to a physical DAC? I would assume that rockboxing has no amping capabilities. 

May 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,436 of 3,645
Quote:
Quick question

I saw on an old head-fi youtube video that rockbox'ed iPods can't use amp/DACs. Is this still the case? And if it is, is rockboxing a cheaper (and presumably less efficient) alternative to a physical DAC? I would assume that rockboxing has no amping capabilities. 

I just use my iPOD > FiiO L3/L9 (30 pin to 3.5mm)  > (3.5 mm aux in) FiiO e07k (3.5mm out) > Phones... Works for me.  As far as using something like the ALO Solo (or something similar, that goes from 30pin to usb to DAC) which actually bypasses the DAC on the iPOD, I haven't a clue.

Does that make sense?

What setup are you thinking of using?

May 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,437 of 3,645
Quote:

I just use my iPOD > FiiO L3/L9 (30 pin to 3.5mm)  > (3.5 mm aux in) FiiO e07k (3.5mm out) > Phones... Works for me.  As far as using something like the ALO Solo (or something similar, that goes from 30pin to usb to DAC) which actually bypasses the DAC on the iPOD, I haven't a clue.

Does that make sense?

What setup are you thinking of using?

I wonder when they'll be able to get the iPod to bypass the DAC

May 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,438 of 3,645
iPod --> E17 --> K550, SA5000, A900X

Or maybe the Schiit M/M stack instead of the E17. I'm not sure yet

May 15, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2,441 of 3,645
Quote:

I wonder when they'll be able to get the iPod to bypass the DAC

Rockbox or FiiO?  There ARE devices that can do it.  I think they need to be authorized by apple or something.  I think cooperpwc might know better than me!

Quote:
iPod --> E17 --> K550, SA5000, A900X

Or maybe the Schiit M/M stack instead of the E17. I'm not sure yet

Yeah, you'll be fine for using your iPOD with either of those setups.  Also, just to let you know (you probably alread do though!), if you do end up with the Schiit stack and using your iPOD as your only source you won't need the modi unless you're hooking it up to a computer.  If that is case a substitute could be something like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/529956/pure-i-20-ipod-iphone-dock-as-a-dac  I haven't tried this nor done the research on what else is out there. But that's the direction you'd want to go! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Rockbox cannot be used with iAP devices such as the CLAS. With Rockbox there is no way to bypass the iPod's DAC.

I'm not familiar with the term iAP, care to elaborate?  Thanks!

May 15, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #2,442 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not familiar with the term iAP, care to elaborate?  Thanks!

iPod Accessory Protocol is the permission that an iPod Classic, iPhone or iPad can give authorized devices (like the CLAS) to directly access the digital output of the iDevice. It requires communication by the iAP device with a special chip in the iDevice that, in theory, Rockbox should be capable of allowing. However it would require knowledge of the confidential protocol. The implementation might also be complex.

As it is, if you plug a Rockboxed iPod Classic into a CLAS or other iAP device, the Classic goes into USB communication mode and cannot play music. For iAP access to work, it must both communicate through USB and maintain music play functionality at the same time.

May 15, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #2,443 of 3,645
So ultimately, trying to achieve optimized sound isn't possible with a rockbox'ed iPod? Does this mean that the only benefits of rockbox'ing are user interface and the ability to play multiple file types (including FLACs?)

Also, I might have been misreading information I've been going through...but is it true that iPods can't even utilize a DAC in general? Or is that just with Rockbox'ed iPods? The guys that make custom iPods (redwine or w/e) say that this is the case and the 5.5G iPod sounds best with their sound card...which would further imply that in regards to improving the sound of any iPod, I'm just looking into amps and not amp/DACs right?

I apologize for these questions, I'm obviously pretty new and trying to take in all this stuff is a little overwhelming 

May 15, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #2,444 of 3,645
You certainly can Rockbox an iMod. An iMod just provides a cleaner signal path from an older iPod's internal DAC. There are no such mods for the iPod Classic as the signal path is already very clean. 

The older iPods like the iPod Video do not support using an external iAP DAC as they lack the special communication chip. And you cannot use an external iAP DAC with a Rockboxed Classic as i explain above. So if your your definition of optimizing sound is buying an iAP device such as CLAS or Fostex HP-P1, then Rockbox is not the answer for you. If you are happy with the iPods internal DAC, Rockbox is a beautiful thing.

May 15, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #2,445 of 3,645
I see...so Rockbox'ed iPods absolutely cannot be used with high impedance cans due to the fact that they can't be paired with amps (as well as DACs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back