Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,266 of 3,645
Quote:
firstly i assume i can rockbox the latest in the classic range http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_classic yes?

secondly, does anyone know if there will be any issues using a rockboxd classic with a zeppelin air or similar dock? the only thing i'm thinking is i will have to boot into the ios part of the classic each time. is that correct?. http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/Zeppelin-Air/explore.html

Yes, you can Rockbox it. Read the first post in this thread for all the steps and caveats, the chief of which is that using emCORE as the first step completely wipes iOS (i.e., the Apple firmware).  Thus, there is no dual-booting (that could change in the future).  It is possible to restore the Apple firmware (read the first post), but then, of course, you lose Rockbox.

I don't own any docks, but from reading this thread my impression is that iPod docks will not work once Rockbox is installed.  You can get audio out of the USB port, but I think docks require the Apple firmware on the iPod in order to be fully functional.

Corrections are always welcome :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,268 of 3,645
Quote:
Been using Rockbox on a classic 80GB for a few days now (emCore 868,  Version a010b7cM-130217). Everything seemed to be working fine, but today I realized I can't get my ipod to connect to my mac anymore. I did al the upgrades on a Windows 7 machine (backupped and restored my music with it), now I'm trying to add some more music that's on the mac and it just won't recognise it.

Is this a known problem or can it be fixed? I tought I read something about it in this trhead, but cannot find it anymore. My ipod completly freezes and I have to reboot it (select + menu for 15 seconds)

It is known to be difficult to access a Rockboxed Classic on a Mac. First of all, you can try the daily build: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g
If this makes no difference you could run the backup image from emCORE, I remember someone could mount it with that workaround.

Quote:
bummer about the docks/rockbox not liking each other! oh well. thanks for the rreply

Not necessarily, if your dock does not have controls other than volume it might just work. Hold down the MENU button on the Classic while inserting it into the dock. Make sure that Line Out is enabled: Settings -> General Settings -> System -> Line Out.
I got it working on two Logitech docks (not to most advanced ones though) this way. Everything was still controlled from the iPod except for volume, that was adjustable from the dock. Just give it a try, nothing to break and you can always reinstall the original firmware!

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,269 of 3,645
I think that was one of the reasons I decided to ditch rockbox on the classic.  Although it was relatively easy to do in the end, it was the mix of having to do the emcore on a windows machine, then copying the files across.  In the end it was too much hassle and reverted to stock.  Thinking of doing it again though as I want itunes out of my life as much as possible.

Cheers

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #2,270 of 3,645
Quote:

It is known to be difficult to access a Rockboxed Classic on a Mac. First of all, you can try the daily build: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g
If this makes no difference you could run the backup image from emCORE, I remember someone could mount it with that workaround.

Tried the daily build, but no go. I guess I'll just put the files on a usb-stick and transfer it to a Windows machine.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #2,271 of 3,645
Quote:

Tried the daily build, but no go. I guess I'll just put the files on a usb-stick and transfer it to a Windows machine.

What about the fallback image booted from emCORE? I remembered this post from a while back:

Quote:
Ok, I've received today my iPod Classic 160GB, 7th generation.

First impressions: I am using RB FW r31516-120101. It works brilliant with Mac OS Mountain Lion, I can perform file transfers directly on this OS without using Windows. The transfer rate is more than 10MB/s, no need for drivers as the device is seen directly as a drive attached to my Mac.

[...]

So he's using the fallback image each time for USB transfer and the daily build for playing (better battery life, more settings etc).

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,272 of 3,645
Quote:

What about the fallback image booted from emCORE? I remembered this post from a while back:

So he's using the fallback image each time for USB transfer and the daily build for playing (better battery life, more settings etc).

With the daily (2013-03-05 and 2013-03-08)  I'm even having trouble transferring files in windows. Using the failback in windows is always working (10~12 MB/sec) fine. I will try later today what failback does on the Mac (at work right now).

BTW, I'm unable to restore to the Apple firmware. Itunes (9.2.1.5) just won't recognize the Ipod. It's connected and recognised as DFU Device in windows...

Update : In failsafe, OSX recognise the disk as unformatted..... So not usable
Update2 : I can go back to Apple firmware using OS X

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,273 of 3,645
I made the mistake (or I think it is) of diving right through rockboxing my 160 7th gen classic without backing it up on Itunes.

Since I cannot find any builds that doesn't have a USB issue of some sort, I decided to uninstall everything back to its factory defaults. I have successfully downgraded my Itunes and did every possible methods to restore it with no avail.

Now maybe you guys can help me help in 2 ways:

-Back to factory
-Make Rockbox work

I'm thinking of downloading a backup file for the 7th gen classic somewhere and restore it from there but I really don't know where to get one. Maybe anyone reading this could lend me your backups? 

I am currently using these programs
EMcore r859
Rockbox build 2013-03-08  6aeecf5

Thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,274 of 3,645
Quote:
Been using Rockbox on a classic 80GB for a few days now (emCore 868,  Version a010b7cM-130217). Everything seemed to be working fine, but today I realized I can't get my ipod to connect to my mac anymore. I did al the upgrades on a Windows 7 machine (backupped and restored my music with it), now I'm trying to add some more music that's on the mac and it just won't recognise it.

Is this a known problem or can it be fixed? I tought I read something about it in this trhead, but cannot find it anymore. My ipod completly freezes and I have to reboot it (select + menu for 15 seconds)

That's what I wrote. Immediately after flashing emCore and writing aroldan's recent builds, Mac can see the rockbox and I can transfer music from Mac. However, after starting to use ( listen to ) it, Mac can not see the rockbox anymore. Mac can charge it, but can't see and can't transfer music. Like you, I transfer music via Windows.

I'm very happy with r868 + aroldan's 130110. If Mac can see it, I can't be happier. 
beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #2,275 of 3,645
thx for replying Cuase i'm having problems with the ipod battery it's like when i use it it goes up and down like crazy and it's all new .. is that normal i didn't use it for a whole day to see how it's going ..so does using different Quality Vids and audio affect battery usage ...and what if rockboxed  how the battery going then as i see they say that installation got problems ?!

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,276 of 3,645
Quote:
Its definitely worth it specially if you have already a collection of flac files and (it sound different i dont know how to say it since im also new at this but the sound quality is better than using the normal OS) installation is easy if you follow the instruction carefully , im on the same boat like you 2 days ago before i got my ipod (not an apple fan but need a huge space) and having trouble playing my flac files so i installed this and boom im totally loving it .. unistall is also easy you just need plug it on itunes and restore

thx for replying Cuase i'm having problems with the ipod battery it's like when i use it it goes up and down like crazy and it's all new .. is that normal i didn't use it for a whole day to see how it's going ..so does using different Quality Vids and audio affect battery usage ...and what if rockboxed  how the battery going then as i see they say that installation got problems ?!

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2,277 of 3,645
Quote:

thank god there is somebody that has the same battery issue as me.
I thought i was going crazy.
Welcome to the club of the battery affected RB users.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,278 of 3,645
Can someone Do a Video guide on how to Rockbox the ipod classic 7g??? That will be so damm useful for newbies like us..  :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #2,280 of 3,645
Quote:
Can someone Do a Video guide on how to Rockbox the ipod classic 7g??? That will be so damm useful for newbies like us..  :)

Was planning to do so, haven't had the time for it yet. But now I'm not so sure anymore, newbies should either not be playing with alternative firmware or be willing to patiently read into it. See the first post for installation instructions.

Quote:
Hi, has anone tried the new version ?, I mean, You can install it whit Rockbox utility?
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes313
Thanks

See the first post, the Classic doesn't use the Rockbox Utility. The daily builds are independent from these major releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back