Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2,236 of 3,645
Rockbox is still working and sounding great.  If you have an iPod 5.5G or if you buy one off of eBay for $70-100 and Rockbox, it is like owning a high end portable player. The 5.5 is a stable port and relatively simple to transform, plus the Wolfson chip in the 5.5 is arguably one of the better sounding iPod chips.

Just what I have done and mine was Rockboxed within half an hour of it being delivered. 65GB of FLAC on board now and the battery gives just over 24 hours of playback.. Just got to find someone to repair either of my two old LODs and I can dig out my LIttle Dot Mk1 portable amp as well.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2,237 of 3,645
It's not as easy as following the instructions, at least for me.

iPod 6G 120GB. Windows 7 64 bit.

Neither version r674 nor r867 of UMSboot work anymore. It was initally installed with r674 but now neither are recognized via USB. I can start the newer version with emCORE or the older via bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe. When booting to rockbox, (aldorans latest) the iPod also isn't recognized as a disk drive. The only way for me to get the iPod recognized is using the fallback rockbox image. This sucks. I can't run ani .ubi updates anymore.

Also, how do you install the patches or other files that came with aldoran's rb-a010b7cM-130217 ?4

I am currently in the process of trying to purge my system of all Apple-related software completely. Let's see if that helps...

EDIT: Nope, UMSboot still not recognized.

Worst of all, I fear that I will never be able to install the original firmware again.

PS: UMSboot does show up in the printers & devices section of Windows. It just doesn't mount the volume in the explorer.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #2,238 of 3,645
Exactly the same problem I am having, got it to work once then removed rockbox (for some stupid reason) and now no matter what computer I use it does not rec the UMSboot, have now pretty much given up unless someone has any ideas.....

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,239 of 3,645
Quote:
It's not as easy as following the instructions, at least for me.

iPod 6G 120GB. Windows 7 64 bit.

Neither version r674 nor r867 of UMSboot work anymore. It was initally installed with r674 but now neither are recognized via USB. I can start the newer version with emCORE or the older via bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe. When booting to rockbox, (aldorans latest) the iPod also isn't recognized as a disk drive. The only way for me to get the iPod recognized is using the fallback rockbox image. This sucks. I can't run ani .ubi updates anymore.

Also, how do you install the patches or other files that came with aldoran's rb-a010b7cM-130217 ?4

I am currently in the process of trying to purge my system of all Apple-related software completely. Let's see if that helps...

EDIT: Nope, UMSboot still not recognized.

Worst of all, I fear that I will never be able to install the original firmware again.

PS: UMSboot does show up in the printers & devices section of Windows. It just doesn't mount the volume in the explorer.

Why are you not using the official emcore build r859? i believe that prior builds were not stable and newer builds are still experiamental. r859 is the only officially recommended build per freemyipod unless i have missed something.

You do not have to install the patches they are already contained in the .rockbox file. alrodan list them as a reference. Simply copy that file to the root of your ipod.

Quote:
Exactly the same problem I am having, got it to work once then removed rockbox (for some stupid reason) and now no matter what computer I use it does not rec the UMSboot, have now pretty much given up unless someone has any ideas.....

I use windows vista and have never had any problems that wasnt caused by my own user fault.  It is my primary reason i dread ever having to replace my computer and having to be stuck with windows 8 as some users have expressed difficulty with it and rockbox. I believe that windows 7 should be compatible and i remember a few users posting that they were successful in loading rockbox on the ipod classic. Otherwise, I dont know what to tell you.   I think that alot of recognize issues are due to not letting the rockbox'd ipod completly boot up and than making sure the hard drive has completly stopped spinning before plugging it to the computer.  Not saying this is your issue but it happens alot and it happened to me in the begining.  Coming from iTunes, most people have the habit of just plugging in and having iTunes recognize the ipod and your good to go.  Not so with the rockbox'd classic. I would just go back and restore your ipod and start over.  follow the instructions completly using the first page of this thread as well as the instruction on freemyipod web site.  One thing to remember that i dont know if it has been mentioned in the instructions,  when turning off the itunes processes using your task manager,  if you have multiple accounts or users on the computer,  you must remember to check off the box "show processes from all users" first and than proceed to shut down all your apple processes. Hopefully somebody with more insight and experiance with your problem will post up a solution. Good luck and stick with it,  rockbox is really worth it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #2,241 of 3,645
Quote:
Just what I have done and mine was Rockboxed within half an hour of it being delivered. 65GB of FLAC on board now and the battery gives just over 24 hours of playback.. Just got to find someone to repair either of my two old LODs and I can dig out my LIttle Dot Mk1 portable amp as well.

wait so 5.5g, whats the diff between 5.5g and 5g? and does it work better than the 7g?

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #2,242 of 3,645
Do people still read installation instructions or is that somehow considered a waste of time? It's a waste of hardware (chance of bricking the device), if you ask me.

EmCORE r859 Release notes / Known issues
  1. iPod Classic (thin models): Upgrading from emCORE builds before r836 will reformat the hard drive. Rockbox versions before r31455 are incompatible with the new format.

For those who can't get r859 to work on the very first try and decide it's a good idea to try something really old like r674: DON'T! Old EmCORE versions need old Rockbox builds, and these are not very stable. If you use an old EmCORE version with a new Rockbox build it can get very messy, the release notes call it 'incompatible'.

Read the first post of this topic entirely 3 times in a row, same for the instructions on freemyipod.org! Install EmCORE r859 (no other version) from scratch or use the UMSBoot to install it. Then copy the latest daily Rockbox build and boot it. If you have problems connecting via USB read the tips&tricks in the first post.

Only when this is working stable you can think of updating EmCORE (in case of bugs) or using aroldans Rockbox builds (they are more experimental than the daily builds).
If you have problems finding out if you have an iPod Classic or an iPod Video you shouldn't be thinking about installing custom firmware in the first place.

I don't mean to be rude to anyone, it just really sucks if your good working iPod would end up being bricked because of this..

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #2,243 of 3,645
r100 has 100 posts.  
size]

Congratulations! (and I agree ^)

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,245 of 3,645
Quote:
Do people still read installation instructions or is that somehow considered a waste of time? It's a waste of hardware (chance of bricking the device), if you ask me.

I'm thinking no.
cool.gif
I sometimes wonder the same thing, when i see the same questions being asked over and over.. (like the question about "what to do with the patches?")

Makes me think people don't have a clue about what they are doing and the risks involved if they mess up.. Yes people, if you mess around and don't care to follow instructions, you WILL turn your precious Ipod into a paperweight..
redface.gif

Perhaps a bigger disclaimer op top of the first post in this topic is a good idea? Assuming that get's read in the first place, lol. Oh, and congrats. Verzorg jij het bier?
wink_face.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #2,247 of 3,645
Quote:
I just installed EmCORE 868 for no particular reason. It seems to be running very smoothly.

Onward Science!

size]

Ok, so you were the main reason I had to stay with the "official" release, and now you're "gone" too! I need to backup my FLAC library and update too...

BTW, how's the official RockBox release going?

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,248 of 3,645
The official release is working fine. Perfectly.

As regards updating EmCORE, backing up is wise no doubt. (I already have a mirror image of my music on an external hard drive so that was not an issue for me). However the update was simple and utterly non-destructive. Just follow the instructions...  :)

Good luck!

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2,249 of 3,645
Quote:
The official release is working fine. Perfectly.

As regards updating EmCORE, backing up is wise no doubt. (I already have a mirror image of my music on an external hard drive so that was not an issue for me). However the update was simple and utterly non-destructive. Just follow the instructions...  :)

Good luck!

OMG, I feel like I've been shamed into updating from r866 to r868!!  :wink:
Thanks for kicking my lazy *****.  Off to play :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,250 of 3,645
Quote:

EmCORE r859 Release notes / Known issues
  1. iPod Classic (thin models): Upgrading from emCORE builds before r836 will reformat the hard drive. Rockbox versions before r31455 are incompatible with the new format.

For those who can't get r859 to work on the very first try and decide it's a good idea to try something really old like r674: DON'T! Old EmCORE versions need old Rockbox builds, and these are not very stable. If you use an old EmCORE version with a new Rockbox build it can get very messy, the release notes call it 'incompatible'.

It's easy to shoot down the newbie without actually reading to what he wrote. I DID NOT INSTALL r674! I'm not doing stuff like this for the first time, I have custom firmware on my Android phone, Kindle, Pogoplug and had custom firmware on my iPod Video and iPhone 3G when I still had them.

I did not originally find this topic but followed installation instructions in the freemyipod wiki: http://freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/DFUiTunes

Part of the instructions included downloading the bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe to enable DFU access. This program came with version r674 of emCORE and was used to install emCORE r876 and Rockbox.

So I didn't mess with old versions, why would I?

I did, however, make the mistake of getting the newest build, falsely assuming that greenlit builds marked with "OK" are actually functional ( http://builds.freemyipod.org/ ).

So I'm just wondering if and how I can downgrade to get functional DFU mode again.

Why are you not using the official emcore build r859? i believe that prior builds were not stable and newer builds are still experiamental. r859 is the only officially recommended build per freemyipod unless i have missed something.

You do not have to install the patches they are already contained in the .rockbox file. alrodan list them as a reference. Simply copy that file to the root of your ipod.

Thanks, wish I had seen this topic first.

Update:

Re-installing iTunes (version 9 is muuuuch better than the newer ones), then booting into DFU mode has worked so far. iTunes recognizes the iPod, sets it to recovery mode and repairs the firmware. iPod working again. Now, I'll see if I can't get r859 to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back