Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Nov 14, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,816 of 3,645
Quote:
I have been reluctent to upgrade only because forum member COOPERPWC stated recently that using the newest build he was having problems with charging. You havent experienced this i assume?

No, I haven't! To be honest, I've never even encountered any major problem with aroldan's builds...

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,819 of 3,645
I've been using the daily builds without any issues so far. The ipod was meant to be Rockboxed...
biggrin.gif

I think I'll drop the latest aroldan build in tonight and give it a whirl...

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #1,820 of 3,645
Rolling tubes, rolling op-amps, and now rolling daily and aroldan builds...
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #1,821 of 3,645
Quote:

I'm using aroldan's latest build, as I've been updating my Classic with his builds as soon as he releases them! I'm not exactly sure about the battery life on mine, but I'd guess it's above 24 hours easilly! I haven't charged it for almost 2 weeks, I been listening to it around 1 hour a day and last saturday I was trying a new IEM and had a long listening session of 6 or 7 hours. Last night it still had above 20% of battery left! I only use FLAC files, no EQ (or other effects) and always with external amping without any volume on the HO (not sure if this affects the battery life or not)... 
cool.gif

Quote:
I got 32 hours of playback with lossyFLAC.

i too am using aroldan's latest build - 121026....i was surprised that you get such good batt life as i only get approximately 18 hours...using flac, no EQ, using amo via LOD...
mad.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,822 of 3,645
i was surprised that you get such good batt life as i only get approximately 18 hours...using flac, no EQ, using amo via LOD... :mad:

I got 32 hours by running the battery_bench plugin, i.e. constant playback (looping over a couple dozen files) without turning on the screen much. Real world usage (with more screen use and more switching/buffering content) would probably show a lower figure (though I'm not sure by how much).

Also, lossyFLAC is going to use slightly less battery than straight up FLAC, because of the 50% smaller filesizes (less HDD activity). Aside from that, FLAC is one of the (if not THE) fastest (battery efficient) decoder on Rockbox.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,823 of 3,645
Quote:
i too am using aroldan's latest build - 121026....i was surprised that you get such good batt life as i only get approximately 18 hours...using flac, no EQ, using amo via LOD...
mad.gif

Well, I used mine last night for another hour (or a bit more), and when I turned it off, the battery was still above 20%... 
popcorn.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,824 of 3,645
Hoping dual-boot might be sorted soon. :p

I recently got the iPod 6.5G 120GB and wanted to rockbox it but after finding out that its not dual-bootable I've gone off the idea slightly.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,827 of 3,645
Quote:

Do you mean the setting or a new custom battery?  Unless you're installing a new battery I would not change the battery setting.  It will make the runtime remaining estimation inaccurate.  

Really? I always wondered about that... That might explain why I get wildly varying readings on my battery levels.

So what IS the default setting? I think I may have played around with it to see what it did and might have confused my player of what my battery is capable of.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,828 of 3,645
Quote:
I have been reluctent to upgrade only because forum member COOPERPWC stated recently that using the newest build he was having problems with charging. You havent experienced this i assume?

To be clear, I do not doubt that the new builds charge - but apparently not in proper in charge mode. With a theme that shows the full Rockbox battery icon (like Cabbie Classic), the battery icon should show a flashing lightning bolt during charging and then revert to a (non-flashing) plug when charging is finished. (The battery percentage should then also read 100%). That tells you that the charging protocol is working properly. The new build did not do that on my Classic.

120802 rocks. I have not found any flaws whatsoever so I am happy to stick with it.

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #1,829 of 3,645
I was wondering if I was supposed to change to a higher setting, since (maybe) the newer Classics have a higher battery capacity. Guess I'll leave it at default then, many thanks for the headsup.

@cooperpwr

I also noticed the battery icon not changing, but didn't pay too much attention to it.. just as long as the battery was charging I wouldn't mind, hehe. Though, I'll probably revert back to 120802 tomorrow and check it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back