Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 15, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,651 of 3,645
Quote:
Hey guys, just found this thread today.

It seems that people who have the least amount of problems have the latest 7G. Is this the case? I'm planning on buying used so I will have to find a 7G.

Also, the instructions say to install iTunes. Is this necessary? I'm not a fan of having to install iTunes on any computer I own...

Read the instructions carefully, they ask if you have iTunes installed. If you choose no, you'll go to the other method with the winusb drivers, which also works fine.
I have the 6G 80GB and it works fine, no problem/crash at all in the last 7 months (r868/121007)

Edit: this option; Install a custom device driver for the iPod (advanced users only)

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #1,652 of 3,645
I have well over 16k songs on my 240 classic now. I am slowly filling it up, and use it at work listening to full albums. It passes the time better. :D It is working great. Unfortunately my trusty first 160 ipod 6th classic bricked after over 4 years of extreme use. :frowning2: Probably time for a new hard drive and battery for that one. At least I have another 160 6th classic to use in my car.

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #1,653 of 3,645
Quote:

Read the instructions carefully, they ask if you have iTunes installed. If you choose no, you'll go to the other method with the winusb drivers, which also works fine.
I have the 6G 80GB and it works fine, no problem/crash at all in the last 7 months (r868/121007)

Edit: this option; Install a custom device driver for the iPod (advanced users only)

Awesome, thanks for the help. I saw the advanced users only option and decided not to click on it.
biggrin.gif

Now to try and find a used ipod...

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #1,654 of 3,645
So I'm having a problem - after running bootstrap_ipodclassic.exe my computer doesn't recognize the iPod even though the iPod screen shows that I'm in UMS boot. I can't copy installer-ipodclassic.ubi into the iPod, so I can't continue with the installation. Any ideas?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #1,655 of 3,645
Quote:
So I'm having a problem - after running bootstrap_ipodclassic.exe my computer doesn't recognize the iPod even though the iPod screen shows that I'm in UMS boot. I can't copy installer-ipodclassic.ubi into the iPod, so I can't continue with the installation. Any ideas?

Thanks

1. Do you have .NET Framework 3.5 or later installed?
  2. Did you check and disable your antivirus (temporarily)? This is because it may prevent bootstrap from being fully executed.
  3. Did Windows ask for a driver installation? (winusb.inf)
  4. Do you have access to the 64MB UMSboot drive?

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,656 of 3,645
Quote:
For all those who have problems with their HDD and/or copying, loading songs, freezes etc, I suggest checking the diagnostics by following these steps:

• Temporarily return to the original firmware using iTunes. Check the opening post for instructions.
  • Reset the iPod by pressing MENU+Select for ±5 seconds.
  • When the Apple logo appears quickly press and hold the Select+Previous until the Diagnostics menu opens.

The information there can be very useful to check out the state of your Classic's hardware, especially that of the hard disk! (Diagnostics menu -> IO - > HardDrive -> HDSmartData -> Reallocs) To understand what certain numbers actually mean you can check S.M.A.R.T. on Wikipedia.

I suggest you run all tests, just to check if everything is working properly, afterwards you can blame Rockbox/EmCORE for something failing :wink:
Apparantly my Classic is still in good condition after all these years, and I have never had any crash, freeze or USB problem at all since EmCORE r859 (now on r868, same story).

My RB'ed iPod 3G ( ~7G ) occasionally freezes even when I connect it MENU button pressed ( so no hard drive is activated ). So I use fallback image to transfer files: it works flawlessly.
The USB issues are definitely software related. Tried on different PC's with 32 bit/ 64 bit Win7 without iTunes. The USB cable is OK, also tried friend's data cable. I even tried to clear all usb drivers from my laptop: again occasionally freezes when NOT using fallback image. Freezing starts to appear from aroldan's may 03 build, on may 01 build everything seems to be OK.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,657 of 3,645
Quote:

1. Do you have .NET Framework 3.5 or later installed?
  2. Did you check and disable your antivirus (temporarily)? This is because it may prevent bootstrap from being fully executed.
  3. Did Windows ask for a driver installation? (winusb.inf)
  4. Do you have access to the 64MB UMSboot drive?

1. Yes.
2. I have no antivirus (though Windows Security still asked me if I wanted to install the driver for the iPod).
3. Windows said it couldn't find a driver so I manually selected the win_usb folder.
4. The iPod screen says to put the file into the UMSboot but the computer doesn't recognize any UMSboot device. If I reboot the iPod into the stock firmware, the computer recognizes it.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,658 of 3,645
Nevermind! For some reason my laptop wasn't working out. I connected it to my desktop and the UMSboot folder came up instantly. I have the latest Emcore release installed. Is updating or trying a new build the same as installing the RB build for the first time (deleting the old .rockbox folder from root and extracting the new one to the same folder)?

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help r100!
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,659 of 3,645
Survey time!

What emCORE build is everyone running? Is it right that the last stable build was r859?

I know on this page:

http://builds.freemyipod.org/

They have a lot of "experimental" builds. Is anyone running any of them successfully? Any reason to upgrade?

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,664 of 3,645
Running r868 here, fine as well. I know it says 'failed' on the server, but that was just a small (unjustified) mistake I read.

The thing with releases (up to now) after r859 is that they are bugfixes, not really introducing anything fancy new. Same thing happened with earlier recommended versions, small bugfixes before introducing new functions. Thank the universe though that the days of r6xx are over! You'll probably be fine with anything from 859 to 868.
I asked the devs at FreemyiPod if anything has been going on with EmCORE lately, they told me there's most likely no new release coming anymore, unless someone new picks up where they left.

EmCORE release overview

Users who are viewing this thread

Back