Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,637 of 3,645
Quote:
i got tired of the ipod not connecting to my windows 7 machine so i reflashed to the original rockbox file found on freemyipod and it consistently detects my ipod. sigh compromise of battery life over connectivity stability..

Why don't you use the newer build for playing music+battery life and choose the backup build from the EmCORE menu each time you want to transfer music?
Besides that, you stated before that whenever you try to update the USB drives on your laptop, you get a BSOD. Better check that out as well mate...

Quote:
Update-just tried on other pc, and no problems.
What i can do?

Please give some more information on this. What are the differences between these computers? Have you read the FAQ from the first post? If it works on the other computer I figure the first pc is the problem, not your iPod. Try to knock out some more variables, then we might be able to give you proper advice.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #1,639 of 3,645
Ok, here's my attempt of a manual for proper USB mounting with a Rockboxed iPod Classic on a Windows computer:

• Check your antivirus for automatic pre-scanning of portable drives, turn this stuff off.
  • Check other (audio)software that might interact with drives with music files on them, turn them off. Use the standard Windows Autoplay or wait for the drive to show at (This) Computer. Remember that it's not a flash drive (instant mount), so it might take up to 30 seconds or so before being recognised.
  • Use an original Apple cable, no aftermarket stuff.
  • Plug the cable directly into a USB port on the motherboard, do not use a USB hub or USB cable splitter.
  • Boot your iPod before connecting. Wait for Rockbox to be fully loaded and wait for the harddisk to be idle again (put the iPod next to your ear so that you hear that the head is not seeking on the drive anymore) before connecting the cable.
  • And again, wait a little bit to get it recognized. When you see the drive popping up at (This) Computer/Hard Drives, the logo will be in grey first, don't click yet but wait until it's normal and below it should then show the x GB free / x GB total with the blue bar.

If this doesn't work then try again with the backup build from the EmCORE menu. Please share your experiences!

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #1,640 of 3,645
I keep reading just enough here to make me not take the plunge yet....lol.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,642 of 3,645
Quote:
Problem resolved, just needed get rid off that crap called itunes.

That was a basic problem then! Stay away from that stuff... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,644 of 3,645
Hi, I have a problem when charging the rockboxed ipod. It never ever shown 100% even though I leave it charge all night. And the latest build gave me no charging icon when hold the menu button and plug a usb charger so i back to 120905 build but fully charge is still my problem. it show only 98% or below that. My rockboed ipod classic can run around 17 hours with flac plus m4a. Any recommendations? Many thanks.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,645 of 3,645
Quote:
Ok, here's my attempt of a manual for proper USB mounting with a Rockboxed iPod Classic on a Windows computer:

• Check your antivirus for automatic pre-scanning of portable drives, turn this stuff off.
  • Check other (audio)software that might interact with drives with music files on them, turn them off. Use the standard Windows Autoplay or wait for the drive to show at (This) Computer. Remember that it's not a flash drive (instant mount), so it might take up to 30 seconds or so before being recognised.
  • Use an original Apple cable, no aftermarket stuff.
  • Plug the cable directly into a USB port on the motherboard, do not use a USB hub or USB cable splitter.
  • Boot your iPod before connecting. Wait for Rockbox to be fully loaded and wait for the harddisk to be idle again (put the iPod next to your ear so that you hear that the head is not seeking on the drive anymore) before connecting the cable.
  • And again, wait a little bit to get it recognized. When you see the drive popping up at (This) Computer/Hard Drives, the logo will be in grey first, don't click yet but wait until it's normal and below it should then show the x GB free / x GB total with the blue bar.

If this doesn't work then try again with the backup build from the EmCORE menu. Please share your experiences!

Excellent advice.  I would add a step 7 before resorting to the backup build:

"If your iPod is not recognized after a minute or two, reboot it by holding Menu + Select for a few seconds.  Windows will often recognize the iPod on the second attempt."

I find I often have to do this when reconnecting the iPod after having safely ejected it earlier (within the same boot session of Windows 7 64-bit).  I haven't ever tried mounting the iPod on another PC, so I can't speak to other versions of Windows.

Just something to consider.

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,647 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi, I have a problem when charging the rockboxed ipod. It never ever shown 100% even though I leave it charge all night. And the latest build gave me no charging icon when hold the menu button and plug a usb charger so i back to 120905 build but fully charge is still my problem. it show only 98% or below that. My rockboed ipod classic can run around 17 hours with flac plus m4a. Any recommendations? Many thanks.

Yeah, stop worrying about some random number on a screen ! 17 hours runtime sounds about right for a battery that isn't brand-new .
After 2-4 hours charging your battery is charged 100%, no matter what the number on the screen says .

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,648 of 3,645
Any USB/power/backlight settings change with the recent alrodan builds?  Once I got my new HDD installed, I loaded alrodan's latest build (121007), and on 2 of my docks, I'm getting weird behavior where the backlight doesn't stay on even though I have set to.  I reverted to the (120905) build, and the backlight stays on when I have it in those docks.  The weird thing is that with the 121007 build, it doesn't appear to be using the battery so it is using the dock's power feed.  Also, I have an older JBL dock which the backlight display worked properly even with the latest build.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #1,649 of 3,645
Hey guys, just found this thread today.

It seems that people who have the least amount of problems have the latest 7G. Is this the case? I'm planning on buying used so I will have to find a 7G.

Also, the instructions say to install iTunes. Is this necessary? I'm not a fan of having to install iTunes on any computer I own...

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,650 of 3,645
just got my first *panic* attack today!
tongue_smile.gif

it happened after i safely ejecting the classic from my PC, removed the sync cable, then inserted my LOD! did a reset and everything workd fine again. using alrodan build 121007...this never happened with 120926.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back