Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,606 of 3,645
Quote:

I use the official daily builds from Rockbox.org.

Are you using the "iPod Video" builds?   I don't see any builds specific to the Classic.

Incidentally, I pulled the HD out of my 160GB classic yesterday.  Holy crap, that's a pain.   I managed to do it with some slight scratching to the case, but I didn't appear to put any permanent distortion into the cases.  The key was the tip to use a small putty knife and guitar picks to hold it in place.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #1,607 of 3,645
Quote:

Are you using the "iPod Video" builds?   I don't see any builds specific to the Classic.

Incidentally, I pulled the HD out of my 160GB classic yesterday.  Holy crap, that's a pain.   I managed to do it with some slight scratching to the case, but I didn't appear to put any permanent distortion into the cases.  The key was the tip to use a small putty knife and guitar picks to hold it in place.

No, they probably won't even boot at all 
tongue.gif

The official builds are located here: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g

(I did mention before that they should have been added to the OP)

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,608 of 3,645
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #1,609 of 3,645
Oct 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #1,610 of 3,645
Quote:
That 6g part, will they work on the 7G too? I don't have one yet but just curious.

afaik, the 6th gen 2nd revision is also more commonly known as the 7th gen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod_classic i use aroldan builds and from what i understand - is also a tweaked version of the official builds. i have the latest classic and the build works flawlessly. hope this helps
normal_smile .gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #1,611 of 3,645
Quote:

I have a stupid question...

I have an iPod 5.5 video that I've been running RB using the RB utility.  My battery life sucks so can I use aroldan's latest build or will it only work on the 7g Classic?

Anyone?

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,612 of 3,645
Quote:

No, that will not work on a Video, this topic is about Classics and specific builds for that only. You can try a different build (release candidate or development build) by installing it from the RB Utility.
If that doesn't make much of a difference your battery is probably getting old. Compared to the Classic it's quite easy to open a Video (plastic vs. aluminium front) to replace the battery yourself. Order a new battery on the internet and follow this guide, it's not very difficult but take your time.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #1,613 of 3,645
Quote:

aroldan's build is for the classic, you have an iPod Video.....so no, it will not work for you.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,614 of 3,645
This is great. My new 7g will be here today. I may give it a week just to make sure there are no defects with the new unit incase I need to return it, but after that it's game on.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #1,616 of 3,645
Quote:
That 6g part, will they work on the 7G too? I don't have one yet but just curious.

Yes it will, I don't know why they named it 'ipod6g' instead of 'ipodclassic' (as it used to be before)

It will probably be clearer once the Classic is officially supported.
And after reading back some IRC logs from this month it isn't be very far from being an official target, the only thing holding back is dualboot 
smile.gif

Edit: The only difference between 6G and 7G is the HDD and a few extra components that allow support for some new kind of apple remotes

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,617 of 3,645
Quote:
Yes it will, I don't know why they named it 'ipod6g' instead of 'ipodclassic' (as it used to be before)

It will probably be clearer once the Classic is officially supported.
And after reading back some IRC logs from this month it isn't be very far from being an official target, the only thing holding back is dualboot 
smile.gif

Edit: The only difference between 6G and 7G is the HDD and a few extra components that allow support for some new kind of apple remotes

Cool. I thought the 7G had some more memory or something, I read about people who had better experience with it with the 240gb drives and having like over 20,000 songs, something like it was faster or the index didn't freeze up or crash (as much?) on the 7G as older generations. So I'd rather get a 7G just in case. For now I have all my music on Google Music and I stream to my HTC One X so for a while I'm fine. My school has wifi and I have LTE to fall back on :D

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,618 of 3,645
Hi guys, now that rockbox looks a go on the classic (and after hisoundgate) I am saving a bit of cash and going back to what I have.

I've got a 5.5g video with 32gb cf card its tricked out franken style with a white face, red wheel and black button.  A friend who is all about the style wants it and is willing to trade a perfect 80gb 6th classic.

Now onto my question, I diymodded a 5th before and loved it does anyone know how the 5th imodded compares to the 6g with lod..... both will be going into a zo or headstage arrow. 

Specifically with regards to,

Battery life on RB with flac?

and

Sound quality diferences?

Is it really worth just sticking with the 5g and imodding again?

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #1,619 of 3,645
Quote:
Cool. I thought the 7G had some more memory or something, I read about people who had better experience with it with the 240gb drives and having like over 20,000 songs, something like it was faster or the index didn't freeze up or crash (as much?) on the 7G as older generations. So I'd rather get a 7G just in case. For now I have all my music on Google Music and I stream to my HTC One X so for a while I'm fine. My school has wifi and I have LTE to fall back on :D

I don't think you can buy the first generation Classic anymore except second hand.

In chronological order there is:

Ipod Classic 80GB (slim) and 160GB (thick, increased battery capacity)
Ipod Classic 120GB (slim, support for a new remote)
Ipod Classic 160GB (slim, support for a new remote, with a mysterious firmware version 2.0.2 which is not available to older Classic's)

That mysterious 2.0.2 version might have some optimizations that could be the reason why they might be faster at indexing (which off-course doesn't matter when you're using Rockbox)

Not that important:
Now that I think about it, the whole Classic 'generation' naming scheme is a bit confusing. First of all, there aren't really any improvements worth to be labeled as a new 'generation', it would probably be better to call them 'revisions'. Secondly some people seem to think all Ipod's with HDD's are Ipod Classic's.

I wonder how this naming scheme would continue if apple ever decides to make 'the new Ipod Classic', because we already sort of have 6G, 7G and 8G

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,620 of 3,645
Quote:
I don't think you can buy the first generation Classic anymore except second hand.

In chronological order there is:

Ipod Classic 80GB (slim) and 160GB (thick, increased battery capacity)
Ipod Classic 120GB (slim, support for a new remote)
Ipod Classic 160GB (slim, support for a new remote, with a mysterious firmware version 2.0.2 which is not available to older Classic's)

That mysterious 2.0.2 version might have some optimizations that could be the reason why they might be faster at indexing (which off-course doesn't matter when you're using Rockbox)

Not that important:
Now that I think about it, the whole Classic 'generation' naming scheme is a bit confusing. First of all, there aren't really any improvements worth to be labeled as a new 'generation', it would probably be better to call them 'revisions'. Secondly some people seem to think all Ipod's with HDD's are Ipod Classic's.

I wonder how this naming scheme would continue if apple ever decides to make 'the new Ipod Classic', because we already sort of have 6G, 7G and 8G

I didn't say anything about buying a first gen classic... o_O
Yeah I'm talking about Rockbox so that's probably not it. But the underlying firmware that's under Rockbox could be better with that software though possibly
8G? When was that? I thought the latest one like if I just bought one new tomorrow would be 7G...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back