Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,591 of 3,645
been back reading this thread but i seem can't find the answer, please forgive me if this question was already answered.

which rockbox build do you use? is it the official RB build or alrodan build? which one is better? right now i'm currently using alrodan 121007 build...i'm quite curious of the difference between the official RB build.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,592 of 3,645
Quote:
been back reading this thread but i seem can't find the answer, please forgive me if this question was already answered.

which rockbox build do you use? is it the official RB build or alrodan build? which one is better? right now i'm currently using alrodan 121007 build...i'm quite curious of the difference between the official RB build.

i was using the latest official build but had a few freezes using alrodan's latest build now, not sure what the difference is but yet to have a single freeze/crash,  good stuff
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #1,593 of 3,645
Quote:

The build by Aroldan features a 10-band EQ (vs. 5-band in the official), some power management tweaks and some patch that has to do with character encoding

I favor the official builds, my battery lasts longer on them (in spite of the tweaks on Aroldan's build) and they are more stable. 
I don't use the EQ that much, so not a huge miss for me.

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,594 of 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I favor the official builds, my battery lasts longer on them (in spite of the tweaks on Aroldan's build) and they are more stable.

Why do you say that? I'm using aroldan's builds since I got my iPod without any problems whatsoever! 

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,595 of 3,645
Quote:

Why do you say that? I'm using aroldan's builds since I got my iPod without any problems whatsoever! 

There are on my Ipod (80GB 6th gen) comparing the 20120926 build by Aroldan with the official build with the same date

1. I've had 3 complete freezes using Aroldan's build (not counting the USB issues, see below).
  2. Sometimes my Ipod just won't play music in the middle of a playlist, it loads all the id3 tags properly, but it just won't play any song until I reboot. (happens once every ~2 hours, haven't had this on official build)
  3. On Aroldan's build my Ipod hangs more often when I unmount the USB connection (happens in ~1 in 3 USB unmounts vs. ~1 in 5 on the official)

I think the power management patch is to blame, maybe it only affects the older classic's, so you might not experience them.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,598 of 3,645
I'm starting to wonder if I should try and go back to the official build for a while. I have a 240GB ipod with a larger capacity battery (~800mAh), but recently I've only been getting ~25 hours of playtime. I remember that I used to get close to 40 hours before. I haven't tried letting it drain completely, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the battery indicator. I have set the battery capacity at 800mAh under settings, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,599 of 3,645
so i did the whole thing and reinstalled with the newer versions of emcore and rockbox

it seems to be working better but i noticed that most of my files do seem to copy, with a few exceptions [and those send the ipod into fits].  maybe the problem is with the files in my computer being corrupted or something?  does that happen?

edit:  well, any of this is now irrelevant.  i got really fed up with the hd clicking noisily away while trying to copy more bad files so i tapped it rather hard a few times and it turned off.  i turned it back on and all i got was a white screen so i tried restoring it with itunes again but it failed to restore it.  several times.

so it was the hd.   i just realized that all my problems started after i dropped it on the floor the other day.

oh well.  guess it's time for a new mp3 player

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #1,602 of 3,645
Quote:
[..]  
I think the power management patch is to blame, maybe it only affects the older classic's, so you might not experience them.

Classic 80GB here, one of the early batches, and the power management works good. So maybe you're just one of the unlucky few with a cpu that's more picky on undervolts.
Anyway, enjoy the official build! :) (btw do you mean the 'old' official one or one of the daily builds?)

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #1,603 of 3,645
Just rockboxed mine yesterday (160 GB), haven't put in the music yet. As long as it can go for 18-20 hrs it should be fine.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #1,604 of 3,645
Quote:
Just rockboxed mine yesterday (160 GB), haven't put in the music yet. As long as it can go for 18-20 hrs it should be fine.

I was getting more than 20 hours with the previous RB build from aroldan. Yesterday I updated to his latest version, so I can't really tell yet, but I guess it sould be the same...

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #1,605 of 3,645
Quote:

Classic 80GB here, one of the early batches, and the power management works good. So maybe you're just one of the unlucky few with a cpu that's more picky on undervolts.
Anyway, enjoy the official build! :) (btw do you mean the 'old' official one or one of the daily builds?)

I use the official daily builds from Rockbox.org.
The 'old' one that comes bundled with EmCore doesn't allow USB connection on my Ipod at all.

Yeah, I often seem to get cpu's in my devices that are only able to handle everything according to their specifications (which is not a bad thing off-course) 
tongue.gif

Then again even on my devices that do have a little more headroom, I prefer stability over speed or battery savings. But in this case Aroldan's patches don't do either for my Ipod (probably because I need to reboot more often) so that makes it an easy choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back