Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,576 of 3,645
Yeah it's quite possible. I flip ipods on the side, for a little extra income. I can repair and replace a majority of the parts. I replaced a hard drive in a 160 6th classic. And it works great. Try to get a 160gb hard drive cheap on ebay or go for 240gb :D Good luck man.

Can I put a 160GB hard drive in an 80GB 6th gen? Or maybe ssd?

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #1,577 of 3,645
Quote:
Just to confirm, something like the "FiiO E3 line out dock cable" will work with a Rockbox'd Classic, yes? I ask because in doing a little reading it seems using the LOD is the best way to connect to a headphone amp... vs. going through the iPod's headphone jack, which adds the iPod's internal amp into the chain, whereas using the LOD bypasses the internal amp.

Thanks.

Quote:

Yes, it works, and that's the way to go (using a LOD) for the best SQ out of a Rockboxed iPod Classic...

if the "FiiO E3 line out dock cable" out puts in analogue then surley it still goes through the ipods internal amp/dac and the out put would be the same if you were using the line out?

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #1,578 of 3,645
Quote:
if the "FiiO E3 line out dock cable" out puts in analogue then surley it still goes through the ipods internal amp/dac and the out put would be the same if you were using the line out?

The signal goes through the same iPod internal DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) but then you can have it pre-amped with a LOD cable, or amped from the headphone out...

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #1,581 of 3,645
Quote:
ok cool i guess its worth getting one of these cables then, i guess as well as better sound the battery would last longer too.

I think battery life is the same using Rockbox, as even with a LOD cable plugged in, the iPod's heaphone out is always working (i.e. you can use a LOD to an external amp and still use the headphone out). If you use the LOD cable to a good external amp, then the sound quality will be a lot better, as the iPod's internal amp is nothing special (to put it nicely)...

Oct 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #1,582 of 3,645
hey guys im kinda new to headfi.. so plz go easy on me.. i have couple of probs... first one is on my ipod classic 7th gen 160Gb i cannot put the songs that i gt frm HDtracks.com ( 24bit 96Hz) although i converted them in to ALAC using Dbpoweramp..  , is their a way whic i can put thease songs? ( heard that i pod classic can play 24bit 84Hz)   and as well as is it possible to rockbox the classic 7th gen without a harm and is it stable??   i kinda like the stock player , but if u guys can help me to sync  these songs using itunes , that will be a great help... (other wise it will be a great lost for my Pocket...) thanks!

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,584 of 3,645
hey guys im kinda new to headfi.. so plz go easy on me.. i have couple of probs... first one is on my ipod classic 7th gen 160Gb i cannot put the songs that i gt frm HDtracks.com ( 24bit 96Hz) although i converted them in to ALAC using Dbpoweramp..  , is their a way whic i can put thease songs? ( heard that i pod classic can play 24bit 84Hz)   and as well as is it possible to rockbox the classic 7th gen without a harm and is it stable??   i kinda like the stock player , but if u guys can help me to sync  these songs using itunes , that will be a great help... (other wise it will be a great lost for my Pocket...) thanks!

Yes my friend I had the same problem, unfortunately the iPods don't support 24/96 even if convert them to alac. They only support 16/44 maybe some 16/48 but that's all.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,585 of 3,645
Quote:

I put HDtracks album (24/88.2) in Rockbox. No problem. It sounds great.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,586 of 3,645
Aroldan, thank you very much for your new build (1007). Waiting for your new builds day by day. I don't know what you did, but the sound image is wider and separation is great. David Tanenbaum's classical guitar harmonics are fantastic. Maybe just mirage??? Not on drugs.

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #1,587 of 3,645
so for some reason my 120g is not transferring files from the computer

it works when i copy something from the ipod to the comp but not the other way around

ive been putting a lot of vinyl rips in there lately [but they're 16-44 anyways] idk if it might have something to do with it

also, certain albums are completely unplayable now...they just freeze the thing and i have to restart it

oh god i hope it's not the hd

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,588 of 3,645
For all those who have problems with their HDD and/or copying, loading songs, freezes etc, I suggest checking the diagnostics by following these steps:

• Temporarily return to the original firmware using iTunes. Check the opening post for instructions.
  • Reset the iPod by pressing MENU+Select for ±5 seconds.
  • When the Apple logo appears quickly press and hold the Select+Previous until the Diagnostics menu opens.

The information there can be very useful to check out the state of your Classic's hardware, especially that of the hard disk! (Diagnostics menu -> IO - > HardDrive -> HDSmartData -> Reallocs) To understand what certain numbers actually mean you can check S.M.A.R.T. on Wikipedia.

I suggest you run all tests, just to check if everything is working properly, afterwards you can blame Rockbox/EmCORE for something failing :wink:
Apparantly my Classic is still in good condition after all these years, and I have never had any crash, freeze or USB problem at all since EmCORE r859 (now on r868, same story).

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #1,589 of 3,645
Quote:
For all those who have problems with their HDD and/or copying, loading songs, freezes etc, I suggest checking the diagnostics by following these steps:

• Temporarily return to the original firmware using iTunes. Check the opening post for instructions.
  • Reset the iPod by pressing MENU+Select for ±5 seconds.
  • When the Apple logo appears quickly press and hold the Select+Previous until the Diagnostics menu opens.

The information there can be very useful to check out the state of your Classic's hardware, especially that of the hard disk! (Diagnostics menu -> IO - > HardDrive -> HDSmartData -> Reallocs) To understand what certain numbers actually mean you can check S.M.A.R.T. on Wikipedia.

I suggest you run all tests, just to check if everything is working properly, afterwards you can blame Rockbox/EmCORE for something failing :wink:
Apparantly my Classic is still in good condition after all these years, and I have never had any crash, freeze or USB problem at all since EmCORE r859 (now on r868, same story).

Great info! It should make it's way to the first post too! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,590 of 3,645
Quote:
so for some reason my 120g is not transferring files from the computer

it works when i copy something from the ipod to the comp but not the other way around

ive been putting a lot of vinyl rips in there lately [but they're 16-44 anyways] idk if it might have something to do with it

also, certain albums are completely unplayable now...they just freeze the thing and i have to restart it

oh god i hope it's not the hd

I had almost the same problem as you. I could still copy files to my iPod, though. As r100 suggested, I returned to the original firmware and then rockboxed my iPod again. Haven't had any of those problems so far now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back