Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 5, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #1,351 of 3,645
Quote:

Made a somewhat aggressive power management optimization that may make the battery lasts longer.

Is it related to unnecessary disk idle spinning after some operations?
Thanks for update. I'll try it tomorrow. :)

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #1,353 of 3,645
I have a slight update to the Cabbie Classic theme for those that are interested. This adds a Crossfeed indicator to the the WPS.

Note: this is only for those using Aroldan's current builds which have the three way Crossfeed choice, i.e. Off, Simple (Meier), and Custom. It will not work with the official FreeMyIpod Rockbox release which has just an On/Off choice.

To implement this update, open the CabbieClassic.wps file in the .rockbox/wps folder. Locate the "# Numeric Volume" line and then use copy and paste to replace:

# Numeric Volume
%V(117,171,37,10,0)%Vf(cccccc)%Vb(000000)
%ac%pvdB
#

with this:

# Numeric Volume and Info Xfeed
%V(117,171,37,10,0)%Vf(cccccc)%Vb(000000)
%ac%pv%?St(crossfeed)<dB|Mr|Cm>
#Note: Custom Xfeed defaults are Direct Gain -1.5dB, Cross Gain -6.0dB, High-Frequency Attenuation -16.0dB, High-Frequency Cutoff 700 Hz
#

With this update, the Numeric Volume also shows Crossfeed status. So, for example, if the Numeric Volume is -45dB:
  1. with the Crossfeed off, it will as before display "-45dB"
  2. with the Crossfeed set to Simple (Meier), it will display "-45Mr"
  3. with the Crossfeed set to Custom, it will display "-45Cm"

I have also included a note that has the Custom Crossfeed default settings so if you play with those you can always open up the file and find your way back.

If you want to play with Crossfeed in Rockbox, it is handy to know when it is activated. When you turn Crossfeed off, the display will be exactly as before.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #1,354 of 3,645
Quote:
I have a slight update to the Cabbie Classic theme for those that are interested. This adds a Crossfeed indicator to the the WPS.

Note: this is only for those using Aroldan's current builds which have the three way Crossfeed choice, i.e. Off, Simple (Meier), and Custom. It will not work with the official FreeMyIpod Rockbox release which has just an On/Off choice.

To implement this update, open the CabbieClassic.wps file in the .rockbox/wps folder. Locate the "# Numeric Volume" line and then use copy and paste to replace:

with this:

With this update, the Numeric Volume also shows Crossfeed status. So, for example, if the Numeric Volume is -45dB:

I have also included a note that has the Custom Crossfeed default settings so if you play with those you can always open up the file and find your way back.

If you want to play with Crossfeed in Rockbox, it is handy to know when it is activated. When you turn Crossfeed off, the display will be exactly as before.

This is very nice! I'll try it later today. Thanks for sharing! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #1,356 of 3,645
Quote:
This is very nice! I'll try it later today. Thanks for sharing! 
beerchug.gif

You are welcome. Consider adding the Crossfeed selector to your Quickscreen menu:
Settings > Sound Settings > Crossfeed > and then long-hold the next Crossfeed and Set as Top Quickscreen Item.

(Quickscreen Items are accessed from the WPS by a long-hold on the Menu button.)

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #1,357 of 3,645
I've been using rockbox for my iPod classic 160gb 6g for a week now but not with ease. I have installed the newest builds from the rockbox website but i'm still facing problems.

First is that between reboots my remaining battery goes down stupendously (sometimes halves). I have installed the latest aroldan build linked a few posts back but the same thing is repeating.

Second, connecting the ipod to the computer doesnt always work. Most of the times i get an error on my ipod and it requires a reset (holding the menu+select keys for a few seconds).

This is the first time i'm using rockbox on my ipod and i absolutely love it. The sound quality especially has become much better with a bit of tweaking in the settings.

So if someone could post a solution to these problems that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #1,358 of 3,645
Quote:

with this:

Great! Thank you!

Quote:
I've been using rockbox for my iPod classic 160gb 6g for a week now but not with ease. I have installed the newest builds from the rockbox website but i'm still facing problems.

First is that between reboots my remaining battery goes down stupendously (sometimes halves). I have installed the latest aroldan build linked a few posts back but the same thing is repeating.

Second, connecting the ipod to the computer doesnt always work. Most of the times i get an error on my ipod and it requires a reset (holding the menu+select keys for a few seconds).

This is the first time i'm using rockbox on my ipod and i absolutely love it. The sound quality especially has become much better with a bit of tweaking in the settings.

So if someone could post a solution to these problems that would be great. Thanks in advance!

The remaining battery percentage is an average of power use of the last minutes. Give it some time to stabilize.

The USB bug is already reported and it's being investigated: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12743?project=1&type=2&order=dateopened&sort=desc

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #1,359 of 3,645
Quote:

You are welcome. Consider adding the Crossfeed selector to your Quickscreen menu:
Settings > Sound Settings > Crossfeed > and then long-hold the next Crossfeed and Set as Top Quickscreen Item.

(Quickscreen Items are accessed from the WPS by a long-hold on the Menu button.)

Thanks again! Keep them good tips coming... 
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,360 of 3,645
Tried the last build: the problem appeared only once: the iPod was keeping spinning the disk until first reboot ( I waited 3-4 minutes, it was properly playing a track, showing no disk operation but spinning 
frown.gif
 ). However reboot fixed this ( now it takes 20 second to stop disk spinning as usual ), and I am not able to repeat that. The mentioned bug ( if it exists ) can be very dangerous to the battery and hard drive... I wonder: does it exist on previous version.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,361 of 3,645
I find the Meier Crossfeed setting to be quite subtle and graceful but it reduces bass a bit. (This is fairly authentic as I have tried the Crossfeed on the Corda Classic and it does the same.)

The Custom Crossfeed at default settings is stronger. It actually increases mid-bass a bit in a way that intrudes into the mids. However, if one adjusts the High-Frequency Cutoff from 700 Hz down to 500 Hz, the bass comes back into line. I am quite liking this adjusted Custom setting with the ES5. Still playing around though. (With my Piano Forte IX, Crossfeed stays off; the natural soundstage is not for messing.)

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,362 of 3,645
I am back to 120802 also but not because of any hard drive issue. aroldan, this may be pure placebo but I feel that its SQ is better. The new one seems thicker, and incrementally less airy and detailed. Is it possible that any of the power saving changes are affecting the sound?

Again, it is likely placebo. Mostly, I just love 120802 and see no reason to mess with a good thing.

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,363 of 3,645
Quote:
I am back to 120802 also but not because of any hard drive issue. aroldan, this may be pure placebo but I feel that its SQ is better. The new one seems thicker, and incrementally less airy and detailed. Is it possible that any of the power saving changes are affecting the sound?

Again, it is likely placebo. Mostly, I just love 120802 and see no reason to mess with a good thing.

Funny you mention that because I feel exactly the contrary. More punchy bass, details that I haven't heard before. I think we both suffer from placebo effect. Placebo, placebo everywhere! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back