Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,336 of 3,645
Today purchased my iPod Classic 3G and immediately RockBoxed it with this version. Some questions occured:
- It takes too long ( like 20 seconds ) to init the drive on my Windows, is this normal behavior?
- Write speed is about 10-11 kB/ sec., again, is this normal?
- ( This doesn't concern RockBox ) When there is no read/ write operation and I shake my player it produces some bouncing sound, what is that?

And of course HUGE thanks to all developers who made this real... 160 gigs + RockBox! Yeah! \m/

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,337 of 3,645
Quote:
- It takes too long ( like 20 seconds ) to init the drive on my Windows, is this normal behavior?

You mean 'before the disk is accessible' ? 
Yeah, that's about the same as it takes on any system I've tried it on ..

Quote:

No, that is absolutely horrible !
I'm getting 10-20 Mbytes/s .

What Anti-Virus are you using ?

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,338 of 3,645
Quote:
You mean 'before the disk is accessible' ? 
Yeah, that's about the same as it takes on any system I've tried it on ..

No, that is absolutely horrible !
I'm getting 10-20 Mbytes/s .

What Anti-Virus are you using ?

Thanks for answers
I'm sorry, it's too hot here, I wanted to say 10-11 MB/ sec. :wink:
And another thing: player sometimes freezes when I connect to PC. Only reboot helps... 
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #1,339 of 3,645
10-11 MB/s sounds just about OK ..
You may achieve a few MB/s more by tweaking the AV-settings a bit .
F.ex : Some AV-programs will scan all external storage-devices on arrival !
Obviously, this requires disk-access and those small HDD's inside the pod have a pretty horrible IOPS-performance .
You really don't want the AV scanning the disk while you are transferring files to it !

Also, check in 'Device-manager' if write-caching is enabled for the pod ..

About the 'freeze' ..
I'm guessing it's the pod 'freezing' and requiring a re-boot ?
Again, check the settings of your AV-program .
NOD32, AVG, Comodo, and a few other can cause problems if you have 'paranoid' settings enabled .

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,340 of 3,645
Quote:
10-11 MB/s sounds just about OK ..
You may achieve a few MB/s more by tweaking the AV-settings a bit .
F.ex : Some AV-programs will scan all external storage-devices on arrival !
Obviously, this requires disk-access and those small HDD's inside the pod have a pretty horrible IOPS-performance .
You really don't want the AV scanning the disk while you are transferring files to it !

Also, check in 'Device-manager' if write-caching is enabled for the pod ..

About the 'freeze' ..
I'm guessing it's the pod 'freezing' and requiring a re-boot ?
Again, check the settings of your AV-program .
NOD32, AVG, Comodo, and a few other can cause problems if you have 'paranoid' settings enabled .

The only AV is MS Defender, after disabling realtime protection and enabling write cache I got something around 18 MB/ sec. on a signle 3 gig file.

The bad thing about the freeze is that I'm not able to reproduce that... Maybe again MS Defender conflict.

Could you please answer this question ( when I was carrying my new iPod to my apartment I suddenly dropped it, but it was in the box; I want to know whether I damaged the device ):

Quote:
- ( This doesn't concern RockBox ) When there is no read/ write operation and I shake my player it produces some bouncing sound, what is that?

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,341 of 3,645
My iPod freezes when I play a song, press pause and connect to PC. After rebooting the iPod everything is OK, until a new song is played. What is wrong here?

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #1,342 of 3,645
Quote:
My iPod freezes when I play a song, press pause and connect to PC. After rebooting the iPod everything is OK, until a new song is played. What is wrong here?

OK, I tried this on stock firmware ( no freeze ), on r31516 ( again no freeze ) and on some of Aroldan's latest builds - dated 22-07-12 and 02-08-12 ( freeze appears but not everytime, especially when there is disk activity on iPod and I connect it to my PC ).

BTW I think improper disk handling exists on RockBox. When I turn on the player and enter RockBox, it shows some disk activity for about 5 seconds. But after the icon disappears, if I place the iPod near my ear I can hear some noise, which means that the hard disk is active. After about 15 second the player is completely silent. On stock firmware the player turns off hard drive immediately after boot complete.

Could someone please try if the freeze occurs on his unit on Aroldan's build ( or maybe it's some hardware problem from my side )?

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #1,343 of 3,645
Quote:
Today purchased my iPod Classic 3G and immediately RockBoxed it with this version. Some questions occured:

And of course HUGE thanks to all developers who made this real... 160 gigs + RockBox! Yeah! \m/

Installing works the same as the normal rockbox installation?

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #1,344 of 3,645
Sep 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,345 of 3,645
that latest build is constantly crashing on my ipod, does someone has the link to the older most stable build?

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,346 of 3,645
hi
ive just come across this thread and its the first ive heard of rockbox and will be looking into doing my 160gb classic very shortly

a couple of questions if you dont mind though

is it easy enough to to go back to the apple firmware from rockbox?

and more importantly is it now possible to get a digital signal out the classic using the usb cable maybe?

thanks

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #1,348 of 3,645
New build at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_ (rockbox-ipod6g-c66332aM-120905.zip)

Made a somewhat aggressive power management optimization that may make the battery lasts longer. I'm running it now without any problems. However, if you experience any kind of freezing (not related to the USB thing that's already being investigated), please switch back to rockbox-ipod6g-55847d0M-120802.zip

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,349 of 3,645
Quote:
New build at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_ (rockbox-ipod6g-c66332aM-120905.zip)

Made a somewhat aggressive power management optimization that may make the battery lasts longer. I'm running it now without any problems. However, if you experience any kind of freezing (not related to the USB thing that's already being investigated), please switch back to rockbox-ipod6g-55847d0M-120802.zip

Great. Although I'm already surprised by how long my 240GB classic lasts right now, I can't wait to try this out. Will report back if anything goes wrong.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #1,350 of 3,645
Quote:

Thanks! I'll update mine later today... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back