Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,321 of 3,645
Does anyone have problems getting their computer to recognize the ipod? It connects and disappears and basically I have to cross my fingers to get it to work. It's like 1 out of 20 times.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #1,322 of 3,645
Quote:

You might somehow have a corrupted file in the Rockbox. To be absolutely sure, reload the OF with iTunes. Then download Rockbox again (same current version) and do a reinstall of EmCORE and Rockbox. If that doesn't fix it, there is always the unfortunate option of returning permanently to the OF.

This did the trick! Ugh that was driving me crazy!!!!! Thanks for the help =)

@ gnarlsagan - I can't get my macbook pro running mountain lion to recognize the device at all. I've just been using my Win 7 dual boot to transfer stuff. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,323 of 3,645
Ok, I've received today my iPod Classic 160GB, 7th generation.

First impressions: I am using RB FW r31616-120101. It works brilliant with Mac OS Mountain Lion, I can perform file transfers directly on this OS without using Windows. The transfer rate is more than 10MB/s, no need for drivers as the device is seen directly as a drive attached to my Mac.

One thing I'd like to report: while I'm scrolling faster in the menu with Treble/Bass control, my Cassic produces a buzzing noise and all menu gets frozen. I think it's a SW bug somewhere... then I press SELECT + MENU to reset the iPod, other else is not working.

Sound quality is far away from the original iPod, much louder, clear and customizable. It worth Rockboxing!

What I didn't liked was the fact that RB package has many useless applications, games and plugins... I don't see an use for them. Anyway, I ignore this thing, as it's all about personal taste here.

Finally, I haven't identified a good SW for Mac which can manage somehow my iTunes library, within I'm stuck now. Any advices?

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,325 of 3,645
Thanks guys but I found out it was my cable! Odd really since the non-working cable works fine with an iphone 3gs. I found an old cable with the non-shortened end and it works flawlessly. Weird.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,327 of 3,645
Also people having issues with displaying artwork: you need to have a 300x300px (or smaller) cover.jpg file in the same folder as the album to guarantee that it will display. Musicbee allows you to automatically generate a cover.jpg file from track metadata at the size of your choice when music is copied from the library to a device. I just found this feature and it is seriously useful for making sure all album art is copied properly and automatically.

Here's a pic of the setting in case anyone want to try it. It's at the bottom under artwork storage. You can also define folder structures for devices. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,329 of 3,645
Quote:
Also people having issues with displaying artwork: you need to have a 300x300px (or smaller) cover.jpg file in the same folder as the album to guarantee that it will display. Musicbee allows you to automatically generate a cover.jpg file from track metadata at the size of your choice when music is copied from the library to a device. I just found this feature and it is seriously useful for making sure all album art is copied properly and automatically.

Here's a pic of the setting in case anyone want to try it. It's at the bottom under artwork storage. You can also define folder structures for devices. 

[size=medium]Thanks for the tip.  I’ve been using RB on my Classic 160GB for a little more than a month, and some of my artwork just does not show up even though it is visible in iTunes and Mediamonkey.  I’m going to give this musicbee a try this weekend.[/size]

[size=medium]This thread was very helpful so thanks to all the contributor’s.  Still trying to get used to RB and Mediamonkey (sync) as I guess I had become very dependent on iTunes.  I gave RB a try because under the Apple firmware, I found that my Classic would lose gapless playback and in order to get it back I would have to completely re-format the drive.  This would happen every couple of weeks.  I listen to a lot of live recorded music so I got sick of this cycle and switched to RB (I had used it a few years back on my Cowon iaudio portable).  So far so good with the gapless playback.[/size]

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,330 of 3,645
Thanks for the tip.  I’ve been using RB on my Classic 160GB for a little more than a month, and some of my artwork just does not show up even though it is visible in iTunes and Mediamonkey.  I’m going to give this musicbee a try this weekend.

This thread was very helpful so thanks to all the contributor’s.  Still trying to get used to RB and Mediamonkey (sync) as I guess I had become very dependent on iTunes.  I gave RB a try because under the Apple firmware, I found that my Classic would lose gapless playback and in order to get it back I would have to completely re-format the drive.  This would happen every couple of weeks.  I listen to a lot of live recorded music so I got sick of this cycle and switched to RB (I had used it a few years back on my Cowon iaudio portable).  So far so good with the gapless playback.

Try out the beta in the forums section. It has more features and is bug free for me. You can right click on an album and automatically search for and apply album art from 5 different online sources. Every time I want to do something with this program I find its already been implemented which is so rare with software.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,331 of 3,645
Hi Everyone! Im about to install rockbox on my ipod classic (latest gen.) for the first time and i have a quick question about one part.

Im going to follow the instructions on http://www.freemyipod.org about emcore and rockbox installation, but i wanted to install the version of rockbox that Aroldan have been putting on this thread. 

So, do i just extract files of aroldan's build instead of the files on http://www.freemyipod.org ?

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #1,333 of 3,645
Hi there!

I've been using rockbox for about 2 months now on my 160GB iPod Classic. Most things were fine in the beginning (Enjoyed the Gameboy Emulator very much :D) but now its almost unusable.
The problem is that the battery will drain very fast when I'm browsing files or playing a ROM in Rockboy. Also many of my music-files won't work out of the box. They seem to work when I add them to a existing playlist, though.

Before rockbox will shutdown the scrollwheel always becomes weird. It won't register the right movement anymore, then rockbox displays that the battery is empty and shuts down. Even if I fully loaded the battery just right before. Then, emCore will load and shut down after a second. This is repeated until I push on the hold-switch.

If I wait a few minutes then I am able to fully boot the iPod up again. Selecting an album of which I know it works then makes me able to listen to it for a few hours!
What happens when I select a song which doesn't, the playback will hang at 0:00. As long as I don't press one of the skip-keys or the playbutton I can get into the menu again (Will crash otherwise, requiring a hardware reset). If I go to the filebrowser it will hang too. I can however play these songs when added to a working playlist.

Chkdsk doesn't seem to work, too. It always throws "Unknown error 666174766f6c2e63 d6" at me when I want to run it for my iPod.

Would be cool if anyone could help me out here. Don't really want to go back to Apples firmware. I think this all happened after an update, but I already rolled back to an older release which didn't work as well.

Now using the latest of Aldoran's builds.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,334 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi Everyone! Im about to install rockbox on my ipod classic (latest gen.) for the first time and i have a quick question about one part.

Im going to follow the instructions on http://www.freemyipod.org about emcore and rockbox installation, but i wanted to install the version of rockbox that Aroldan have been putting on this thread. 

So, do i just extract files of aroldan's build instead of the files on http://www.freemyipod.org ?

Thanks!

Exactly!

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #1,335 of 3,645
Quote:
Hi there!

I've been using rockbox for about 2 months now on my 160GB iPod Classic. Most things were fine in the beginning (Enjoyed the Gameboy Emulator very much :D) but now its almost unusable.
The problem is that the battery will drain very fast when I'm browsing files or playing a ROM in Rockboy. Also many of my music-files won't work out of the box. They seem to work when I add them to a existing playlist, though.

Before rockbox will shutdown the scrollwheel always becomes weird. It won't register the right movement anymore, then rockbox displays that the battery is empty and shuts down. Even if I fully loaded the battery just right before. Then, emCore will load and shut down after a second. This is repeated until I push on the hold-switch.

If I wait a few minutes then I am able to fully boot the iPod up again. Selecting an album of which I know it works then makes me able to listen to it for a few hours!
What happens when I select a song which doesn't, the playback will hang at 0:00. As long as I don't press one of the skip-keys or the playbutton I can get into the menu again (Will crash otherwise, requiring a hardware reset). If I go to the filebrowser it will hang too. I can however play these songs when added to a working playlist.

Chkdsk doesn't seem to work, too. It always throws "Unknown error 666174766f6c2e63 d6" at me when I want to run it for my iPod.

Would be cool if anyone could help me out here. Don't really want to go back to Apples firmware. I think this all happened after an update, but I already rolled back to an older release which didn't work as well.

Now using the latest of Aldoran's builds.

Maybe you should try to return back to Apple's firmware and repeat flashing procedure? ( with back-uping your music of course )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back