Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #272 of 3,645
Anyone reckon there is going to be a new classic released on the 9th?!
rolleyes.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #274 of 3,645
I'll be buzzing if there is one released, I'm hoping a similar price to the one now? - One thing I've noticed about apple is they seem to update/make their products better, but never charge a whole lot more (iPad 2 was the same price as the iPad 1 etc.)

I'd love an absolutely huge classic though! Comon Apple!
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #275 of 3,645
***sigh*** A new classic would be excellent, but only RB will give us a real EQ for fine tuning the SQ on it.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #277 of 3,645

Quote:
And get rid of itunes...I am a mac user from many years...and love apple...but itunes..c'mon! I want to drag and drop!

Ever since I RB'd my iPod Classic 5 I havent looked back.. the sound quality playing FLACs is amazing

Mac user here too for a longgggg time.. but quite frankly iTunes is the Devil's work.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #278 of 3,645
Still, I'm wanting the RB installer to work w/the classic - I think I'll be waiting quite a bit longer.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #279 of 3,645
definately. I dont have any problems mucking about in command line or anything but until it is in the installer I'm considering it too unstable to bother with for the ipod classic. I put it on my sister's ipod 5g video and she hated it simply because she couldnt figure out how to make her music sync properly. for some reason she had like 1100 songs and 30 more in .ogg format, but it (banshee) would try to convert everything to a .wav file and doing so removes metadata. I popped her back to original firmware and installed the supporting mp3 libs on banshee but i was saddened that it didnt give an option to convert to any other format but wav and mp3.

Another gripe with rockbox is that it doesnt follow the logical control method that apple put in place and instead attempts to use back/forward as ways to traverse the menu. Rockbox's way makes more sense but on an ease-of-use level it kind of doesnt, assuming someone is switching from regular ipod firmware use to rockbox. There should be an option to swap between the two control schemes.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #280 of 3,645
The installation method is very easy. I wouldn't let it hold you back. I only use the manual install for my devices anyway because the "automatic" method never seems to work for me. The only thing that's holding me back are the three problems that the april 24th release has. Half battery life, occasional lock-ups and reversed channels. Until all these are fixed, it's not really worth using long-term.

Though I check almost every other day for a new release. Really excited for a more stable release.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #282 of 3,645

Quote:
Ever since I RB'd my iPod Classic 5 I havent looked back.. the sound quality playing FLACs is amazing

Mac user here too for a longgggg time.. but quite frankly iTunes is the Devil's work.

agreed on all counts....except...ermm....FLAC amazing compared to?.....ALAC? dont tell me they sound different.

now that rockbox supports ALAC reliably i have one less reason to use FLAC for my dap playlists, although i still do, at home mostly because it supports hirez and can be played by players such as puremusic and Foobar for mac

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #283 of 3,645

Quote:
The installation method is very easy. I wouldn't let it hold you back. I only use the manual install for my devices anyway because the "automatic" method never seems to work for me. The only thing that's holding me back are the three problems that the april 24th release has. Half battery life, occasional lock-ups and reversed channels. Until all these are fixed, it's not really worth using long-term.

Though I check almost every other day for a new release. Really excited for a more stable release.
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the reasons I haven't installed it on my classic - I'll wait then. Thanks,... 
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #284 of 3,645

Quote:

These are the reasons I haven't installed it on my classic - I'll wait then. Thanks,... 
beerchug.gif

I haven't noticed any 1/2 battery life but the other 2 are issues indeed.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #285 of 3,645
I've been converting all of my FLAC files to Apple Lossless because I do not want to use an unstable rockbox on my 160GB Ipod classic ... but my ears miss the FLAC files ... I wonder if that is an illusion?

It is a pain to have to convert!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back