Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 9, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #3,526 of 3,645
Does anyone know what happens if you take a 6th gen classic upgraded to >128gb and then install the new dual-boot rockbox?

At present of course, storage over 128gb is not accessible in original firmware, but will work with emcore+rockbox.  What happens with the new dual bootloader?  I nearly tried doing exactly this, but then decided to just use a 5th gen instead as I knew that would work.

If you use an upgraded 128gb-limited 6th gen with dualboot, does it

(a) only let you see part of the disk when in OF mode, thus defeating most of the point of dual-booting
(b) miraculously overcome the limitation even for OF mode (this seems very unlikely!)
(c) not work properly in either rockbox or OF mode?

Anyone tried it?

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #3,527 of 3,645
  Does anyone know what happens if you take a 6th gen classic upgraded to >128gb and then install the new dual-boot rockbox?

At present of course, storage over 128gb is not accessible in original firmware, but will work with emcore+rockbox.  What happens with the new dual bootloader?  I nearly tried doing exactly this, but then decided to just use a 5th gen instead as I knew that would work.

If you use an upgraded 128gb-limited 6th gen with dualboot, does it

(a) only let you see part of the disk when in OF mode, thus defeating most of the point of dual-booting
(b) miraculously overcome the limitation even for OF mode (this seems very unlikely!)
(c) not work properly in either rockbox or OF mode?

Anyone tried it?

Not tested on my own, but AFAIK, this limitation applies to 80Gb models (FW 1.1.2) using HDD ATA interface but should work using CE-ATA interface, not sure if it applies to 120Gb models (FW 2.0.1). It is a SW limitation of FW 1.1.2 (and maybe 2.0.1 FW), RB should recognize the whole HDD using a standard FAT LBA format, but OF does not recognize this format, it seems that if you try to format it using OF then it can be used but the HDD capacity is limited to 127GB, some people reported problems using this limited 127GB format on RB, but again i am not sure about that.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #3,528 of 3,645

Not tested on my own, but AFAIK, this limitation applies to 80Gb models (FW 1.1.2) using HDD ATA interface but should work using CE-ATA interface, not sure if it applies to 120Gb models (FW 2.0.1). It is a SW limitation of FW 1.1.2 (and maybe 2.0.1 FW), RB should recognize the whole HDD using a standard FAT LBA format, but OF does not recognize this format, it seems that if you try to format it using OF then it can be used but the HDD capacity is limited to 127GB, some people reported problems using this limited 127GB format on RB, but again i am not sure about that.

Thanks!

What you say is certainly correct, though I might not have been clear about the exact question I was asking.  Or I'm just not quite understanding your reply.

What I'm trying to establish is whether the new dual-bootloader method is any different in what happens in this respect from the previous emcore (no dual boot) method.  
Previously the emcore+rockbod method had the great benefit of overcoming the 128gb limit of the OF and for me, at least, seemed to work fine with the whole disk, though the device would then be exclusively rockboxed.  But with the new method able to boot in either mode, its not clear to me what would then happen if you set it up but then booted in OF mode.

I,e, which of the three outcomes I listed would result (my bet would be (a), I'm just hoping its not (c), while (b) would be fantastic but massively unlikely...or, from what you say, maybe its (d) works in rockbox mode but doesn't recognise the disk at all in OF mode?).

I'm just thinking it seems possible that it might even be the case that in this particular scenario (6th gen with >128gb) the user might be better off sticking with the old emcore no-dual-boot method?

I hopefully will be able to experiment myself when I get another sdxc card..

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #3,529 of 3,645

Thanks!

What you say is certainly correct, though I might not have been clear about the exact question I was asking.  Or I'm just not quite understanding your reply.

What I'm trying to establish is whether the new dual-bootloader method is any different in what happens in this respect from the previous emcore (no dual boot) method.  
Previously the emcore+rockbod method had the great benefit of overcoming the 128gb limit of the OF and for me, at least, seemed to work fine with the whole disk, though the device would then be exclusively rockboxed.  But with the new method able to boot in either mode, its not clear to me what would then happen if you set it up but then booted in OF mode.

I,e, which of the three outcomes I listed would result (my bet would be (a), I'm just hoping its not (c), while (b) would be fantastic but massively unlikely...or, from what you say, maybe its (d) works in rockbox mode but doesn't recognise the disk at all in OF mode?).

I'm just thinking it seems possible that it might even be the case that in this particular scenario (6th gen with >128gb) the user might be better off sticking with the old emcore no-dual-boot method?

I hopefully will be able to experiment myself when I get another sdxc card..

The dual-bootloader should recognize the big HDD and launch RB or OF, OF will not recognize the big format but i am not sure what happens when OF or Apple diskmode is launched (probably it will show the restore using iTunes screen, but never tested it), anyway the latest bootloader patch (see http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/1265/ and http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/1266/) includes the --single option to install a single-bootloader for RB (OF is removed and never launched), it also includes the "USB mode", it is like diskmode so using your OS you have access to the HDD, this allow to format the HDD and copy data or install RB for the first time.

So you can use the bootloader as single-bootloader, this is equivalent to use emCORE+RB. If you want to use the HDD on both OF and RB, then i think that the limited 127Gb format done by OF should work on RB, some users reported problems using the 127Gb on RB, i don't know if these problems could be related to specific HDD models or if it is a RB issue.

Two things seems sure for me:
- OF will not recognize any format not done by iTunes, so it is limited to 127Gb.
- RB will not use more than 127Gb if the HDD was formated using iTunes, AFAIK some users tried to add or extend partitions to the Apple 127GB format with no luck.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,530 of 3,645
Thanks.  Sounds like (d) is what would happen then.

So the best option in this scenario would be to set the dual-bootloader to not actually dual-boot, but you'd still just use the new installation method instead of the complicated emcore approach.

Makes sense.  I knew it was too much to hope that it would magically fix the OF mode as well!

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,531 of 3,645
Hi all, i hope ye can help me.

I've just managed to rockbox my 160gb ipod with an xp machine and it looked like everything went ok, except ;

when i turn on the ipod and select the rb icon it fails to load and uses the "fallback" image instead, what does that mean?

I've added music to the ipod by creating a music folder in the E drive through my computer but there's no music on my ipod.

also now i can't seem to get the ipod to restore to it's original apple firmware.

any help is appreciated

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #3,532 of 3,645
Need a lot more information!

Have you rockboxed it with emcore or with the dual boot method?

If the former, have you definitely installed rockbox itself (if you haven't and have only installed emcore, then you would get the fallback prompt, and you need to actually install latest dev version of rockbox manually or via rockbox utility)

What happens when you keep holding select and menu to put it into DFU mode? Does it go into DFU mode at all? If so, what happens when you try to restore it with iTunes?

What do you mean 'no music on my ipod'? If you can see it within your PC, you should be able to see the same directory and files via the Rockbox files menu (but might require a reboot first). Obviously you won't see it via the database menu till you build the database, and even then will only work properly if you have sensible tags filled in.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #3,533 of 3,645

Have you rockboxed it with emcore or with the dual boot method? It's an emcore

If the former, have you definitely installed rockbox itself (if you haven't and have only installed emcore, then you would get the fallback prompt, and you need to actually install latest dev version of rockbox manually or via rockbox utility)

What happens when you keep holding select and menu to put it into DFU mode? Does it go into DFU mode at all? If so, what happens when you try to restore it with iTunes?

When I press and hold select and menu it just keeps going black and returning to the power off/rockbox/something/settings option. iTunes isn't picking it up

What do you mean 'no music on my ipod'? If you can see it within your PC, you should be able to see the same directory and files via the Rockbox files menu (but might require a reboot first). Obviously you won't see it via the database menu till you build the database, and even then will only work properly if you have sensible tags filled in.

I mean that when I view the ipod through my computer in xp I can see the music folder containing several folders of different genres in there, I successfully rebooted after completing installing rockbox and I selected to build the database in the rockbox options on the ipod.

Thanks for your prompt reply

I hope I'm making sense with the answers above

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #3,534 of 3,645
Hi all, i hope ye can help me.

I've just managed to rockbox my 160gb ipod with an xp machine and it looked like everything went ok, except ;

when i turn on the ipod and select the rb icon it fails to load and uses the "fallback" image instead, what does that mean?

I've added music to the ipod by creating a music folder in the E drive through my computer but there's no music on my ipod.

also now i can't seem to get the ipod to restore to it's original apple firmware.

any help is appreciated

Have you rockboxed it with emcore or with the dual boot method?

Thanks for your prompt reply

I hope I'm making sense with the answers above

So, I've managed to get rockbox workign properly with the latest daily build for today installed, now i'm attempting to add some music to the device, fingers crossed :)

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #3,535 of 3,645
hi again, i seem to have into some issues with my rb ipod.

​last week i had over 11000 tracks on it and the database worked a treat but yesterday i deleted all the music from it and added a new
​clean music folder (with the id3 tags and file names all correct) with almost 700 tracks in it, now it's refusing to build a database or
initialise and i've even tried reverting back to the last guaranteed stable build from last week but no joy :frowning2:

​edit. i just did a settings reset and it immediately built the database for me

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #3,536 of 3,645
  Sorry about that, it has been fixed. The freemyipod site had to be moved to another hosting provider.

There's an updated version of the Rockbox dual-boot bootloader, changelog follows:

Patch Set 8:

- RB bootloader:
  . devel menu remove (it will be available as a separate patch).
  . boots Apple firmware when the hold switch is on or the MENU
    button is being held, see mk6gboot/README for details.
  . battery charge current limited to 100mA instead of 500mA.
  . move preliminary HW initialization code to the target tree.

- mk6gboot:
  . fix bug in command line option syntax (--bl-inst).
  . fix check for available NOR space on dualboot installer.

- rbutil:
  . some rewrite on suspend/resume code to sync with master.
  . use QTime() instead of counting ticks.

TODO:
  Split this bundle into small patches on 4 main groups (topics?),
  this will allow to focus on the status of each group/patch:
  . common target code: mainly HW pre-init and NOR crypto stuff,
    actually needed by the dual bootloader and the dualboot
    installer/uninstaller, eventually might be used by RB firmware
    or future DFU installers (i.e. single bootloader) and tools.
  . dual bootloader.
  . mk6gboot tool (including dualboot installer).
  . rbutilqt support for Classic.

Builds are available here:
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v8.exe
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v8.zip

Please test and post if your installation has been successful or not. In case of any problems, please post a screenshot. Always provide the stock capacity and Apple firmware version of your iPod, so we can help you solve the issues.

Works great !!! iPod Classic 6th Gen 80GB, Win10 x64

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #3,537 of 3,645
guys, i"m trying to rockbox a 160gb ipod classic but can't seem to get it to install the apple recovery usb driver. what could be the problem. since i'm sure i follow what to kill in the processes. :3

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #3,538 of 3,645
  guys, i"m trying to rockbox a 160gb ipod classic but can't seem to get it to install the apple recovery usb driver. what could be the problem. since i'm sure i follow what to kill in the processes. :3

I found the process above, with the v8 installer, was very simple.  Didn't need to kill any processes, just connected the ipod and started up the utility and followed the instructions (which do involve putting the ipod into dfu mode at one point, when the utility tells you to)

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #3,539 of 3,645
Hi iPod users
I tried to use the last V8 version for my IPod 6,5 G 128 M version equipped with iflash dual SD and a 256 M SD card
The process failed at the end because the iPod rebooted too soon
Since then I have major difficulties to have the IPod in DFU mode ( it just rebooted and starts with the apple logo)
When I finally succeed I can refresh with iTunes and have a fresh iPod ( for sure with only 128 M) but I still have major difficulties to switch to DFU mode.
It seems that it let somethings in the bootloader
And it is definitively Impossible to have the iPod recognised now in 2 different PC when finally I succeed to be in DFU mode ( While iTunes does)
Did the V8 first installation tentative let something wrong ? How to remove it ?
Any solution ?
Thank you by advance
Regards
Philippe

Apr 22, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3,540 of 3,645
Hello all. Tried multiple searches but can't seem to find my answer.

I have problems getting MAC OSX to recognize my rockboxed ipod. Windows sees it and I can transfer files just fine there.

It was being recognized fine on both systems before I changed to an aroldan build a long time ago. I have used a dual boot for years to fix this issue, but I'm tired of doing it this way.

I have tried a bunch of the new builds, but none of them seem to fix it 

Anyone know which build may fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back