Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 31, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #3,511 of 3,645
  Hi,

anyone knows when will http://www.freemyipod.org/ be back? Website is showing this error:

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

Sorry about that, it has been fixed. The freemyipod site had to be moved to another hosting provider.

There's an updated version of the Rockbox dual-boot bootloader, changelog follows:

Patch Set 8:

- RB bootloader:
  . devel menu remove (it will be available as a separate patch).
  . boots Apple firmware when the hold switch is on or the MENU
    button is being held, see mk6gboot/README for details.
  . battery charge current limited to 100mA instead of 500mA.
  . move preliminary HW initialization code to the target tree.

- mk6gboot:
  . fix bug in command line option syntax (--bl-inst).
  . fix check for available NOR space on dualboot installer.

- rbutil:
  . some rewrite on suspend/resume code to sync with master.
  . use QTime() instead of counting ticks.

TODO:
  Split this bundle into small patches on 4 main groups (topics?),
  this will allow to focus on the status of each group/patch:
  . common target code: mainly HW pre-init and NOR crypto stuff,
    actually needed by the dual bootloader and the dualboot
    installer/uninstaller, eventually might be used by RB firmware
    or future DFU installers (i.e. single bootloader) and tools.
  . dual bootloader.
  . mk6gboot tool (including dualboot installer).
  . rbutilqt support for Classic.

Builds are available here:
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v8.exe
RockboxBootloaderInstaller_iPodClassic_v8.zip

Please test and post if your installation has been successful or not. In case of any problems, please post a screenshot. Always provide the stock capacity and Apple firmware version of your iPod, so we can help you solve the issues.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #3,512 of 3,645
- user890104

This version 8 seems to work fine  - installed on several ipods, no problems found (so far!).  Seems to be the easiest method yet for switching between boot modes. [the previous 'select-forward' version would sometimes take multiple attempts at rebooting before I could get it to switch modes, this method seems to work better]

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #3,513 of 3,645
120 gig Classic

Everything went well until it started downloading the latest dev build. Then the program froze and had to be shut down. Ended up downloading the latest build from the Rockbox site and installing it manually. Everything working as it should.

Not sure what's causing the Utility to crash.

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,514 of 3,645
120gb Ipod classic

I've tried to install the v.7 on windows but I encountered the C++ problem. So I tried the manual procedure. After the bl-inst is not clear what to do to install RB. I assumed that I had to launch the RB utility, but I had the same c++ error. So I logged into my loyal debian, launched the utility and successfully installed RB.
The bootloader works like a charm !

What are the steps to update to a new version ?
Can I just launch bl-inst to overwrite the bootloader? Would RB and the music be affected ?
Or Should I restore the Ipod with Itunes first ?

Thank you very much for this awesome job @user890104 

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #3,515 of 3,645
  120gb Ipod classic

I've tried to install the v.7 on windows but I encountered the C++ problem. So I tried the manual procedure. After the bl-inst is not clear what to do to install RB. I assumed that I had to launch the RB utility, but I had the same c++ error. So I logged into my loyal debian, launched the utility and successfully installed RB.

Can I just launch bl-inst to overwrite the bootloader? Would RB and the music be affected ?

It seems that some C++ errors on Rockbox Utility could be related to the local cache, at this moment the problem has not been analysed in detail, people who are experiencing these issues can try to delete the local cache directory and report if it helps. Local cache is located at:
XP: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\rbutil-cache
WIN7 and WIN10: C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Temp\rbutil-cache

The bootloader can be updated using --bl-inst or removed using --bl-uninst, RB and music are not affected when the bootloader is installed or uninstalled. A restore using iTunes (or other alternative method) is only required if for any reason the iPod does not contain the original firmware (i.e. if you were using emCORE). Once the original firmware is installed, it is not necessary to perform the restore anymore.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #3,516 of 3,645
  120gb Ipod classic

Its odd that.  I've had such variable results with these rockbox utiltiies.  The first few kept crashing with that C++ error.  Then, after I ran the command-line version once, the GUI version suddenly started working.  And then again, later the GUI version started freezing up instead of crashing, and even the original old version started freezing (I wonder if that was related to the freemyipod site being down?). 

Now they work again with neither the C++ nor the freezing error.

Edit - but thanks again to those working on this enhancement.  Great that Rockbox is still improving.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #3,517 of 3,645
I´m always asking the same...how about battery life? When I tried rockbox in my Ipod It was about half the battery life or somthing less than using the original firmware.

Thank you in advance, guys.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #3,518 of 3,645
How often does everyone on here update their iPod Classic with the latest "daily build" of Rockbox? I'm still using EmCore and have no need to install any dual-boot versions, and am also still using the same build from March 20, 2015 when I first Rockboxed my iPod.

It doesn't look like any new versions of Rockbox have come out since 2013 (the latest one is Version 3.13), and the latest stable version of EmCore is r859, which was released at the beginning of 2012.

Does the latest "daily build" of Rockbox for the iPod Classic have any advantages over the one from a year ago? If so, what are they? I haven't heard anything about the occasional humming lock-up bug being fixed, or anything like that.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #3,519 of 3,645
One more question: do any of you use a 30-pin line-out device (LOD) -- such the FiiO L9 -- with your Rockboxed iPod (to connect it to an external amp)?

If so, can you still control the volume from the clickwheel of your iPod with this LOD connected? Or instead, does this little L-shaped device cause the volume setting on the Rockboxed iPod to be "stuck" at -0 dB, so you can only control the volume from the external amp?

Just curious about this.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3,520 of 3,645
  One more question: do any of you use a 30-pin line-out device (LOD) -- such the FiiO L9 -- with your Rockboxed iPod (to connect it to an external amp)?

If so, can you still control the volume from the clickwheel of your iPod with this LOD connected? Or instead, does this little L-shaped device cause the volume setting on the Rockboxed iPod to be "stuck" at -0 dB, so you can only control the volume from the external amp?

Just curious about this.

I use the straight version of that FiiO cable.  Assuming you've enabled Line Out in Rockbox, it will indeed disable the volume control.  Depending on your theme (I suppose), you can run your finger around the wheel and watch the volume level increase or decrease, but it will have no effect.  It's worth noting, as you may be increasing it to a dangerously high level without realizing it; dangerously high if you then disconnect the external amp and plug earbuds into your iPod.

As far as installing other versions of Rockbox or emCORE goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  That said, if you like experimenting, why not.  I have the latest emCORE installed, and it works fine.  I just wanted to see if it worked.  It did, so I left it.  I think I have a Rockbox daily build from January 2016 installed.  It's pretty stable, so I'll likely leave it.  Like you, I have no need for dual-booting.  But thanks for the hardware, Apple 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #3,521 of 3,645
  I use the straight version of that FiiO cable.  Assuming you've enabled Line Out in Rockbox, it will indeed disable the volume control.

Like you, I have no need for dual-booting.  But thanks for the hardware, Apple 
wink.gif

Looks like you and I have the same mind on this! 
bigsmile_face.gif
  I just saw that L9 connector advertised online and was wondering about it.

I'm a hardcore basshead and am not an audiophile, so I like to do things in ways that the audiophiles would hate. 
biggrin.gif

For example, I've always used a simple, regular, 3-inch long, dual-L-shaped, analog 3.5mm-to-3.5mm line-out plug connecting my Rockboxed iPod to my Cayin C5 portable amp. I really dislike messing with the volume knob on an external amp while listening, and absolutely prefer the ergonomics and simplicity of controlling everything (including the volume) from the iPod with one hand. So, I normally set the volume on the Cayin C5 at max with the gain switch on high. At medium and high listening levels, the small hiss noise is usually drowned out and I can't notice it. I sometimes need this extra room for volume gain when using some of the higher bass increments in my EQ presets (especially on a lot of older songs from the '70s & '80s), where the overall volume is reduced because of the extreme EQ preset and needs an extra large gain to make up the difference.

Occasionally when I want to actually listen at low volume, on the other hand, I just flip the gain switch on the Cayin C5 to low, and that gets rid of the hiss noise.

So, yeah,...having the volume control on the iPod disabled...would be a total pain in the butt for me with the way I do things! 
eek.gif

Thanks for the info.

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #3,522 of 3,645
  How often does everyone on here update their iPod Classic with the latest "daily build" of Rockbox? I'm still using EmCore and have no need to install any dual-boot versions, and am also still using the same build from March 20, 2015 when I first Rockboxed my iPod.

It doesn't look like any new versions of Rockbox have come out since 2013 (the latest one is Version 3.13), and the latest stable version of EmCore is r859, which was released at the beginning of 2012.

Does the latest "daily build" of Rockbox for the iPod Classic have any advantages over the one from a year ago? If so, what are they? I haven't heard anything about the occasional humming lock-up bug being fixed, or anything like that.

I always install the latest dev version when I have to renistall or whatever.  And I seem to be tinkering with various ipods so often that I end up updating quite a lot. 

I think there have been improvements, the stability for using ssd/sdxc seemed to me to improve noticeably at some point, but I'm very unclear on when that was (I mean like a year ago or more).  Support for unpowered external amps is new addition, and the dual boot version also fixes the non-detected hold-switch, and I think hd SMART data etc is new.
Some of the changes in theory ought to reduce power consumption slightly, it seems to me, given they involve reducing voltages.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #3,523 of 3,645
Hi I wanted to try the dual bootloader with an iflash adapter and a 256gb sd is it possible ? Or if I want to bypass the 128gb partition limitation I have to use emcore ? The bootaoader doesn't do anything on the partition I suppose
Tnx

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,525 of 3,645
I'm using an iFlash-CF with a 128gb CF card and I'm running the dual boot with no issue.  I'm not really using the apple firmware at all except to copy files to the ipod (not using itunes...just manually copying the files). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back